Lose 5 lbs – in a month

2»

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Thanks Ruth. Portion Control and tracking what you eat. Common sense really. I've been trying to lose the same 10-15 pounds for about 4 years now (with very little success). Maybe I will try it this way.

So these tips haven’t actually worked for you?

Incidentally, walking for half an hour at a brisk pace burns less than 150 kcal for me. That’s not going to make much difference to weight (though of course it’s good for you in other respects).

My tips:
    Weigh everything.
    If you have to estimate, try to overestimate a little on the food and underestimate a little on the exercise. This applies to selecting appropriate DB entries too.
    If you really want a particular food, then for the sake of all the gods have some. This isn’t meant to be a punishment for being fat. Just make it fit your calorie allowance.
    Distraction, distraction, distraction. If you find you’re really hungry when you ‘shouldn’t’ be, then get into a task or out of the house and see if the ‘hunger’ goes away.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I am slowly learning to use my willpower for good. I usually use poor
    I'm loving the Happy Scale app, and I ask myself "would you rather have that cookie, or see a dip in the scale". So far the dip in the scale has won for the past 3 nights.

Experiment and see how your body reacts. Chances are you can eat the cookie and still have the scales move in the right direction without depriving yourself of the enjoyment. Maybe you can even have two cookies depending on how many calories you have left over on that day =). Try and see. Who knows it might even be 4 or 5 cookies before the scales start to move in the wrong direction. Then the question changes from one of depriving to one of moderation and you'll be asking yourself "Would you rather have 4 cookies or just 1 cookie AND a dip in the scale".

Remember too that weight loss and calories work on a time scale longer than 24 hours. Calories can be averaged over a week period. That means that if your calorie target is say 1500, then eating 1700 one day, 1400 the next, 1300 the day after and 1600 the day after that is just as effective as sticking strictly to 1500 calories every day. Flexibility can be liberating and lots of people here have been successful only sticking to weekly calorie targets. Something to consider. =)
  • CynthiaByrne
    CynthiaByrne Posts: 344 Member
    Thanks for all your helpful tips. I really think I am ready for this. I have picked up some really good advice.

1) Portion Control (weigh & measure everything)
    2) Log or Journal
    3) Exercise - get out there and move!
    4) Moderation - enjoy my favorite foods.....all in moderation
    5) Weigh myself every morning (Happy Scale)

I actually look forward to getting weighed now. I've always weighed myself everyday, but I kept track on a calendar on my bedside table. This App is so much more fun!
  • CynthiaByrne
    CynthiaByrne Posts: 344 Member
    edited November 2018
    I adjusted my meals for the week, using my 5 points from above and I lost a pound. I know this won't happen every week, but it's a happy start and should keep me going!

82432703.png