Acid reflux, Gerd, Barrett's esophagus.

Options
Wanted to start a forum about the above issues.

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Well you can add me. My acid reflux started the same day that I quit smoking. I'm sure it's correlation and not causation. That was 6 years ago!
  • kathydavis6
    kathydavis6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What foods did you avoid when you had acid reflux
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My husband has GERD, apparently it runs in his family as his mom and his uncle have it too. My husband is a normal weight and has always been and the GERD has never gone away... his uncle is also pretty skinny. It’s horrible, he wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes choking 🙁. He will never change his diet since he loves spicy foods, it’s just not worth it to him. He has never been an over eater since the consequences suck. Would love to find out if there’s anything else we could try... right now he takes omeprazole once a day and tums at night time.
  • Julian5656
    Julian5656 Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Mine is severe. If I don't constantly take my meds (proton pump inhibitor called Trustan), then it becomes impossible to swallow, and the stomach pain is intense.
    Adhering to a low acidity diet helps a bit, but doesn't make it go away.
    Also, I was going through Gaviscon double action antacids like it was water. Not as much lately since I cut out coffee and a few other things.
    For those who have severe GERD, it's either long term meds or surgery (surgery which may or may not help).
  • becarrah
    becarrah Posts: 33 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'd say mine is severe as well. It started when I was pregnant with my first child; she is now 30. I have been on most of the standard medications at one time or another. Right now I am taking Nexium, morning and night and Tums if I feel a flare coming on. If I don't take the meds, I am miserable. I just put a mattress riser on my bed to raise the head several inches. This is a common recommendation for GERD sufferers. I haven't had it long enough to confirm whether it's helping.

I am about half way to my initial target weight loss and I am hoping that when I get there, my GERD will go away or at least become manageable with occasional meds rather than daily. May be wishful thinking - lol.
  • andrewscott455
    andrewscott455 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lb and I don't eat anything on that list of things not to eat. Also I'm on medication for it but it's still pretty bad.
  • andrewscott455
    Options
    Oh and I have a wedge pillow also
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lb and I don't eat anything on that list of things not to eat. Also I'm on medication for it but it's still pretty bad.

Unfortunately, weight loss isn't going to fix it for everyone. Have you tried a couple different medications? Sometimes one will be more effective than others. Have you spoken to your doctor about the fundoplication surgery? It can be very helpful when other treatments have failed. I'm sorry you're suffering with this. It can be so painful.
  • andrewscott455
    Options
    I've tried 2 prescription medication's.
  • andrewscott455
    Options
    Also was wondering if Decafinated low acid coffee is okay. I've been getting mixed debates online.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Also was wondering if Decafinated low acid coffee is okay. I've been getting mixed debates online.

You may need to do some trial and error for yourself. The problem is the amount of time it will take. Try switching your coffee for a week or two to see if it makes a difference. Then try switching something else. I hope you are able to identify a few things, at least enough to reduce your symptoms, if not completely eliminate them.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I had very bad acid reflux when I was overweight. I was taking antacids/acid reducers pretty much every night and still repeatedly waking up choking on stomach acid. After getting to a normal/healthy weight, I almost never have any problem with it - only if I really, really overeat too close to bedtime. Weight loss has done wonders for it.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I had very bad acid reflux when I was overweight. I was taking antacids/acid reducers pretty much every night and still repeatedly waking up choking on stomach acid. After getting to a normal/healthy weight, I almost never have any problem with it - only if I really, really overeat too close to bedtime. Weight loss has done wonders for it.

My husband has never been overweight in his life and he’s always suffered from GERD... he’s too scared to get the surgery but I wonder if it would help him. He’s tried all the different types of medications and still pops tums every night and wakes up choking 😥. Anyone have any experience with getting the surgery? He’s got an appointment with his Dr next week, hoping they may have some suggestions...
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I take an OTC Ranitidine every night. Back when I was overeating, I would sometimes have to take a second in the middle of the night. I haven't had to do that since starting eating better. Still, the few times I forgot to take my pill, I regretted it by the middle of the night - regardless of how much or what I'd eaten. I don't have any symptoms during the day. Once I'm done losing weight, I'll try to get off the meds and see what happens.