Seriously need nutrition help

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    oajeadeg1 wrote: »
    I was hoping someone here would say it..but you are also under eating and keeping your body in starvation mode which will eventually lead to metabolic damage. Contrary to popular belief you need to eat your calories...consistently. The number of calories you should eat all depends on your resting metabolic rate. There are all sort of calculators for that online. Figure out what it is and maybe eat 300-400 calories less than what it is. I like my macros to breakdown to 30%carbs 30%fat and 40%protein.

starvation mode isn't a thing.
  • anitalahav
    anitalahav Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. You're eating vegetables and protein. That's very good. Don't be afraid to include some pasta, bread or a sweet now and again--if it fits into your daily calorie goal. You are eating the same things everyday. Some people do that and it's not a problem, others get tired of the same things and risk a binge. Remember that vegetables have carbs in them, less than grains, but they do. You didn't say if you're doing Keto. You basically eat veggies and protein, that's why I'm asking. If you're happy eating this way, keep on and see how your weight loss goes. I just want you to know that you can branch out a bit if you want. Keep weighing and measuring your food. Good luck.

I absolutely love veggies and salads. This is why I eat so much protein and veggies. There is salads too. I hate cooking am preparing food, but don't mind eating the same thing over and over. As long as it doesn't take time. I am been exploring. My boss gave me an airfryer and I just love the thing. throw in, gym and food is done. Salads and veggies is easy too and good.

I am not following any FAD diets, keto and anything. I am just trying to eat healthy and loose weight. here and there was a icecream (twice I thing since I started). I really try to stay away from the sweet stuff because once I get the taste I can't stop again and I really am desperate to get healthy.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    anitalahav wrote: »
    I took a look at your diary. You're eating vegetables and protein. That's very good. Don't be afraid to include some pasta, bread or a sweet now and again--if it fits into your daily calorie goal. You are eating the same things everyday. Some people do that and it's not a problem, others get tired of the same things and risk a binge. Remember that vegetables have carbs in them, less than grains, but they do. You didn't say if you're doing Keto. You basically eat veggies and protein, that's why I'm asking. If you're happy eating this way, keep on and see how your weight loss goes. I just want you to know that you can branch out a bit if you want. Keep weighing and measuring your food. Good luck.

I absolutely love veggies and salads. This is why I eat so much protein and veggies. There is salads too. I hate cooking am preparing food, but don't mind eating the same thing over and over. As long as it doesn't take time. I am been exploring. My boss gave me an airfryer and I just love the thing. throw in, gym and food is done. Salads and veggies is easy too and good.

I am not following any FAD diets, keto and anything. I am just trying to eat healthy and loose weight. here and there was a icecream (twice I thing since I started). I really try to stay away from the sweet stuff because once I get the taste I can't stop again and I really am desperate to get healthy.

eating so little (if you are weighing accurately) isn't healthy.

• anitalahav
    Options
    I was hoping someone here would say it..but you are also under eating and keeping your body in starvation mode which will eventually lead to metabolic damage. Contrary to popular belief you need to eat your calories...consistently. The number of calories you should eat all depends on your resting metabolic rate. There are all sort of calculators for that online. Figure out what it is and maybe eat 300-400 calories less than what it is. I like my macros to breakdown to 30%carbs 30%fat and 40%protein.

I understand and agree with you hence the reason I am asking for help. Maybe I can eat the same "amount" of food but with better nutrition (if this makes sense). I am truly not starved. I am actually prepping my meals the previous day, measure it and make it but there are days (from my diary) that I didn't even finish the food because I am just not hungry, or busy and just forget to eat(because I am not hungry).

Like I said in the beginning, I have ZERO eating disorder.
  • anitalahav
    Options

Hahahaha I actually have photos on my phone to capture it at work. Mornings is a bit hectic and I want to keep MFP up to date.

Please do understand I agree I am not eating probably and this is why I asked for help. So I am not denying that I am not eating healthy/correctly.

Telling me I eat to little uhm I KNOW, hence the request for someone to help.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Hahahaha I actually have photos on my phone to capture it at work. Mornings is a bit hectic and I want to keep MFP up to date.

Please do understand I agree I am not eating probably and this is why I asked for help. So I am not denying that I am not eating healthy/correctly.

Telling me I eat to little uhm I KNOW, hence the request for someone to help.

and i have posted multiple times upthread with advice.

if you choose to wait until someone posts what you want to hear instead of taking that advice then that is absolutely fine. good luck on your journey.
  • anitalahav
    Options
    Quality over quantity....this is the help I need.

Example - crisps are going to fill my calories, but is not good for you.

celery sticks (discusting but making a point) is good but the calories is extremely little.

Fruit Chutney Chips Celery, raw
    Simba, 36 g, 190 calories VS 1 cup chopped, 16 calories

This means just to get the same amount of calories I have to consume 11.5 cups of celery......

one its way to much food to actually eat
    two its way to much pt to even try and eat like that.

Hope this example explain it better.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

celery sticks (discusting but making a point) is good but the calories is extremely little.

This means just to get the same amount of calories I have to consume 11.5 cups of celery......

You aren't locked into all of one thing or all of another thing.

Let's assume that crisps are bad and celery sticks are good. You could eat 60 calories worth of crisps and 40 calories worth of celery sticks and get enjoyment (and some nutrition) from the bad and high volume/low calorie (and some nutrition) from the good.

However, foods don't break down into good and bad. There are macro- and micronutrients in all kinds of foods. You can work with the foods you normally eat (or substitutions that you actually like) and adjust the portion sizes to fit your calorie and nutrition goals.

Log how you normally eat for a couple of weeks to gather data and then make adjustments that work for you.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

190 calories of crisps isn't 'filling your calories' its just 190 calories...

you claim to be needing an additional 700 calories per day. how is eating 190 calories of crisps 'bad'?
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Log how you normally eat for a couple of weeks to gather data and then make adjustments that work for you.

This is a great suggestion! I have followed various "diets" and advice over the years, from high fat to low fat, high carb to low carb, blah blah blah. When I decided to make changes, like you have, I wanted to do it all right and didn't have any idea how. And I lost weight following each of these diets and plans. Unfortunately, they didn't last for me, because I couldn't keep that up indefinitely. For months and maybe even a year or two, sure. But not forever.

This is how I started this time. I'm just eating the way I normally do, albeit more mindfully than I have been. So I ate the fried foods, the sugary foods, the carbs. I paid attention and logged what I was eating, being honest with myself about how I felt each day. That way I think I got a clear picture of where I was, and then started to adjust to get to where I want to be... For me that means smaller portions. I'm not forcing myself to eat things I don't like, or avoiding things that I do because they're "bad for me" or whatever.
  • anitalahav
    Options
    :D:D:o:o Thank you soooo much @seska422, @TavistockToad & @zeesparrow now i am getting somewhere and understanding this a bit better. Hahahahaha I still wont eat crisps everyday (that is what got me in trouble), but I see what you guys mean.

I will still keep eating they way I do (because I am actually satisfied to a degree), but if I feel like pasta or sushi then its okay.

Thank you guys so much for the advise and assistance I truly do appreciate it.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I was hoping someone here would say it..but you are also under eating and keeping your body in starvation mode which will eventually lead to metabolic damage. Contrary to popular belief you need to eat your calories...consistently. The number of calories you should eat all depends on your resting metabolic rate total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). There are all sort of calculators for that online. Figure out what it is and maybe eat 300-400 calories less than what it is at an appropriate deficit for how much weight you have to lose. Do so consistently and you'll lose weight. I like my macros to breakdown to 30%carbs 30%fat and 40%protein.

FIFY

• xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If you truly are living on barely any calories, sipping on coffee, you probably either have the high calorie coffees from the shops (I used to have 4-6 Tim Horton's large double double, which are almost 300cals each, OUCH!) so you going way over the calories you're logging, or you must binge on the weekends... Otherwise you wouldn't have gained all the weight. To tweak your diet and make changes that will lead to weight loss, you need to honestly and accurately get a clear picture of your current habit. I would suggest logging all the coffees, using measuring spoons for anything you add to them. Every snack, such as the muffin you grab on the go, etc. You have to be either, eating more than you think on the daily, or eating more at some point in the week to offset your weekly deficit.

Also, you don't need to eat less carbs to lose weight, only eat fewer calories than you burn. Start establishing a regular eating pattern, that should help you feel better for sure. It will also avoid leading to a cycle of bingeing, which is what I think must happen to you? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's okay if some days you are more or less hungry, I always pay more attention to my weekly net average, which shows you the big picture (in the mobile app, tap the nutrition button at the bottom of your diary, then calories, and select the week view, but I would still suggest to try smoothing out the bumps and not go entire days without eating. You might not feel hungry now, but if you give your body a chance to adjust by adapting a more regular eating schedule, the normal hunger cues will come back. You probably have went for a long time ignoring those, and so you don't notice it anymore. You can get used to not eat breakfast, like you can get used to eating it.

I don't know what else to suggest, as I think that you yourself need to do more investigating first so that you can come up with either clearer questions, or even find the answer to these questions yourself!

Knowledge is power, so I think that if you learn to use this app to its full potential and get in tune with your eating patterns, you will be able to make the changes necessary to reaching your goals.

I hope this helps, and good luck on your journey! ♥
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    So, my understanding of the Banting diet is that it is nearly the same as keto. Which means that you are eating a low-carb, high-fat diet. You are definitely undereating calorie wise and do not want to do that on a continual basis, because it will mess with your metabolism negatively. I do keto, so below is an example of how I eat. Maybe it will help you.

MFP does allow you to change the numbers you are tracking. Personally, instead of going by grams, I use percentages (or "macros") more when following my intake. I have it set up so that my carbs are no more than 10% of my daily food allotment. It is actually way more food than it sounds like. But the carbs I am eating are large salads, lots of green veggies, and other foods like mushrooms and tomatoes. I do not eat high-sugar fruits, but do eat berries on a regular basis.

Meats and fish are higher-fat versions - steak and 80/20 ground beef, dark meat chicken, and fish like salmon. Eggs are also good. Cooking is with olive oil or butter. And I add additional fat by putting avocado on my salad, or snacking on celery sticks and cucumber dipped in guacamole.

Eating this way gets me to the 1000-1200 mark pretty easily. I actually have my calories set at 1700 daily, but almost never eat that much. I am fully satisfied when I eat. And even when my calories were set higher than 1700, I have not had any problems steadily losing weight.

Also, you will notice that there are many people who bash low-carb diets. Don't let that bother you. There is more than one way to get to your desired weight-loss goals. Stick with whatever works for you and you feel is sustainable in the long run.