Options
I am entered in a 10k this Sunday. I average 2.5 to 3.5 mi/run about 4 times/week. Never ran over 4 mi in one run. Any tips on food, night before help, recovery etc? I want to do this just not sure if I’ll be able to, thanks for any help

Replies

• youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It might start to get a little uncomfortable or tiring around mile 5, but by then you'll be almost finished! In my experience you don't need much more food the night before, but I would go to sleep early the night before. If you prefer to eat before you run make sure you eat with enough time to go to the bathroom, and don't eat anything too heavy that might give you stomach cramps or anything outside of our typical diet. I would be more prepared for rehydrating and refueling after you're finished, but you don't have to go crazy with either. Remember to pace yourself, and maybe even run a bit slower than your average pace. You want to shoot for a pace that you can sustain for at least an hour, and a running application that will tell you your time and pace stats can help with this during the run. Don't be afraid to slow down or take a walk break if you must. I think for your first 10k, a good goal would be just to finish before you set any time goals.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything different the night before than you normally would. Not the right time to experiment with foods. A 10K duration in the scheme of your body's ability to use existing energy stores is not going to cause any issues. In terms of race tactics, consider a run/walk approach to completing. Most novice runners have a tendency to get caught up in the race excitement and go out too fast. Try running at your normal pace for 9 minutes, then walk for 1 minute or some variation of that. Or walk through each aid station (usually at mile points). You'll be baking in a bit of recovery time throughout the event and be able to sustain a pace that you are comfortable with. Also take in a bit of liquid throughout the race. Unless it's a hot day (which it shouldn't be this time of year) don't overdo the drinking as you don't want to be sloshing about through the race. You'll likely be a bit sore for a few days - take it easy for that first week doing some light exercise and some active stretching. Good luck and have fun!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    agree with the above, don't be fiddling with food now, that needs to be practices during training. Personally for 10k i never needed to do anything different. Only when I went beyond 10k.

Be careful not to overdue it and get injured. slow your pace if you are doing that much more in distance, or do walk-run program (but you haven't practice that so may not work out well).

I say the above as a runner who'd not run in two months after being stupid and doing too much :P
  • schadrock4
    schadrock4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone. Wish me luck
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    10k is 6.4 miles. If you aren't ready then don't try it. Otherwise, eat the same way you would normally, get a good night's sleep and if you do breakfast before a morning run get something to eat...otherwise, make sure you go to the bathroom before the run and good luck!
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    For that distance, you don't need anything special as far as food. Just keep it what you normally eat so there are no surprises in your digestion. Use restroom before the race if you can because the running motion will cause things to "move". Do a walk/run interval. I am an ultra runner and we all do that!! Try 3:2 or 4:1 (that is run 3 minutes, walk 2 or run 4 minutes, walk 1). Adjust as necessary. Use a timer on your phone. Good luck!! :)