Will covering 8Km in an Hour and 2 Hours burn the same amount of calories?

One will be running & the other will be walking.
Thank you.

Replies

• tronjo2002
    tronjo2002 Posts: 43 Member
    That is a great question. It would seem to me that the calories expenditure would be similar.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    I did this wearing a Polar HRM and was surprised to see that in my case the calories burned was almost the same. That was just what I saw on one day when I ran one way and walked back (after a picnic break)
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    It will be very similar, but with regard to the same distance running does require marginally more energy than walking. It depends on your weight, current fitness levels, and the intensity or speed for each. Sprinting 1 mile can burn more than a light jog for one mile, and power walking 1 mile will burn more than a leisurely pace for one mile.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/314404-how-many-calories-do-you-lose-per-mile/ says:

"You can calculate your total calorie burn per mile of walking by simply multiplying your weight by 0.53. For instance, if you weigh 200 pounds then your total burn would be 106 calories per mile, but if you weigh 175 pounds, you will burn a total of 93 calories. A 125-pound person will use even less energy, burning about 67 calories per mile of walking.
    If you run you'll burn more calories per mile than you will walking. The formula for total calories burned per mile of running is 0.75 times your weight in pounds. At this rate a 200-pound person burns about 150 calories per mile. A lighter 175-pound person will burn 131 calories per mile, while a 125-pound person will burn just 94 calories per mile."
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Calorie burn will be about the same, fitness outcomes will be different...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    One will be running & the other will be walking.
    Thank you.

No, you will burn more calories running.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    I really enjoyed this article. It kind of put it in perspective in regards to how many calories are burned at various speeds walking/running.

https://www.verywellfit.com/walking-calories-burned-by-miles-3887154
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Rule of thumb for calorie burn is
    Running Weight X distance (miles) X .63
    Walking Weight X distance (miles) X .3

If you walk or run the same distance, you will burn about 2X the calories running. How long it takes doesn't factor in.

^^ This.

Running always burns more calories per mile than walking the same distance. The reason behind it is the energy required to make the movement, since they require a different gait/movement style.

Walking requires forward motion, with one foot on the ground at all times. Running requires a forward and upward motion, as part of the gait has both your feet off the ground at one point in each step. The required energy to lift your whole body up off the ground (even if it's only a few cm) means that running will always burn more calories per step. Even if you run a very slow 1km, then walk a very fast 1km so that you're actually going at the same pace, you'll still burn more calories during the run.

Exception: I'm at work and can't find the study, but supposedly there is a walking speed that, when reached, burns more calories than running because of how you have to alter your gait to physically walk that fast. But you'd be at an olympic style walking pace to reach that kind of speed I'm guessing.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Exception: I'm at work and can't find the study, but supposedly there is a walking speed that, when reached, burns more calories than running because of how you have to alter your gait to physically walk that fast. But you'd be at an olympic style walking pace to reach that kind of speed I'm guessing.

Actually it's pretty easy to find that pace! Start walking on a treadmill and gradually increase the speed. That point where you naturally break into a running gait is the speed where walking will take more energy. Your body is pretty smart about efficiency.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!