Mental Health!!!

Options
Good afternoon everyone!

I am 6 months strong in my journey and look forward to seeing my results as time goes on. I've been logging in for 201 days, I eat a plant based diet and I exercise 4 to 5 days a week. However, I'm struggling with improving my mental health. I do have moderate depression and suspect I may have anxiety as well. With that being said, I'm having a hard time with managing it all. I have sensitive skin and rosacea so my face has been on fire, it's super red most of the time and I've been breaking out a lot more. I did not have this problem back in May of this year. I think it's mainly due to stress among other things.

For those of you who are battling with depression, anxiety, stress, or the like, how do you overcome it? How do you cope? I know that it's affecting my weight loss in a negative way. I don't want to let everything get the best of me and I end up gaining weight and giving up on my journey.

Replies

• Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing the most you can with diet and exercise, so how is your sleep?? My depression and anxiety are worse if I don't sleep well.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My dd manages her anxiety and depression with medication and regular therapy. We tried a lot of self help things but the medication made the biggest difference.
    Dh manages his anxiety with medication and no therapy. Sometimes meditation or exercise. His vitamin D was low so his doctor has prescribed a supplement.
    Both have spikes in anxiety from caffeine so limit their intake.

Have you had your thyroid or other medical issues ruled out that can cause depression or anxiety symptoms?
  • gojolida
    gojolida Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    _azhialin wrote: »
    For those of you who are battling with depression, anxiety, stress, or the like, how do you overcome it? How do you cope?

i relate to what you've written here - and i think just sharing, and connecting with other people going through similar things, can really help. physically moving also really helps - just because it puts you in the moment, especially if you can be out in nature enjoying the beauty of earth.

when you have a chronic problem -- like your skin issue -- it can be hard to look past that. but if you can focus on the things you need to be getting done, concentrating on that even just for 30 min, and take care of yourself as best as possible with healthy foods, exercise, sleep, and hydration -- usually all of those things can help a lot. don't put off getting together with friends who make you feel good either!

for me, weight loss is not the goal -- healthy is the goal, and that includes mental health. it's okay to feel stressed, anxious and depressed - but i personally find that acknowledging that and choosing to do things that i know will help (like talking to someone, exercising, being productive, or connecting with friends) is a really good way to cope.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Group therapy helped me the most. I get a different perspective, ideas I haven’t considered before, and the observation that there are people way worse off than I am.

When I spiral in to destructive thought patterns, I hear my therapists gentle voice offering that there might be a better way.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    You been to the doc about your skin? Been lately?

You tried affirmations? There are lots of them on YouTube. I look for ones that are about 10 minutes, that’s as long as I can concentrate. Also look for professional quality production. Are there books or stories you find inspiring? Read them aloud to yourself. Inspiring quotes or sayings? Stand in front of the mirror and say them aloud. Write them down and stick them to the wall where you will see them.

Are there movies with happy endings that you like? Watch them. Go back to YouTube and search for relaxing music. Go for a massage. Try aromatherapy. Try anything you think might help. It doesn’t need to be a cure to make things better for you.

What do you do that’s fun? Do that. What do you think might be fun? Try it.

Have hope. Your skin can get better. You can push back against anxiety and depression and overcome them.

You can achieve your weight loss goals. You can do it even in a down mood. You have a good run going with your diary. Defend the process. The process will see you through. Calorie counting works. Be determined.
    You’ve apparently made certain decisions about what kind of life you want. But no one can make it happen for you. Do it.

I didn’t decide I loved my 285lb self. I just decided I wanted to live. And having made that decision, I had a right to see it through. I became a worthy cause. So are you.
  • _azhialin
    _azhialin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing the most you can with diet and exercise, so how is your sleep?? My depression and anxiety are worse if I don't sleep well.

It varies! Sometimes I'll sleep well and sometimes I'll get insomnia! I just never know which drives me nuts. I get on average 5-7 hours of sleep each night.
  • _azhialin
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    My dd manages her anxiety and depression with medication and regular therapy. We tried a lot of self help things but the medication made the biggest difference.
    Dh manages his anxiety with medication and no therapy. Sometimes meditation or exercise. His vitamin D was low so his doctor has prescribed a supplement.
    Both have spikes in anxiety from caffeine so limit their intake.

Have you had your thyroid or other medical issues ruled out that can cause depression or anxiety symptoms?

Interesting. I haven't tried taking medication yet, but have been considering it. I went to therapy last year, but didn't make it to a psychiatrist. I do work at a psychiatric office so I need to take advantage of the help I can get from my coworkers while I'm still working here.
  • _azhialin
    Options
    gojolida wrote: »
    _azhialin wrote: »
    For those of you who are battling with depression, anxiety, stress, or the like, how do you overcome it? How do you cope?

i relate to what you've written here - and i think just sharing, and connecting with other people going through similar things, can really help. physically moving also really helps - just because it puts you in the moment, especially if you can be out in nature enjoying the beauty of earth.

when you have a chronic problem -- like your skin issue -- it can be hard to look past that. but if you can focus on the things you need to be getting done, concentrating on that even just for 30 min, and take care of yourself as best as possible with healthy foods, exercise, sleep, and hydration -- usually all of those things can help a lot. don't put off getting together with friends who make you feel good either!

for me, weight loss is not the goal -- healthy is the goal, and that includes mental health. it's okay to feel stressed, anxious and depressed - but i personally find that acknowledging that and choosing to do things that i know will help (like talking to someone, exercising, being productive, or connecting with friends) is a really good way to cope.

Thank you! I'll definitely do more of all of that. I tend to isolate myself a lot which doesn't help the issue whatsoever.
  • _azhialin
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    You been to the doc about your skin? Been lately?

You tried affirmations? There are lots of them on YouTube. I look for ones that are about 10 minutes, that’s as long as I can concentrate. Also look for professional quality production. Are there books or stories you find inspiring? Read them aloud to yourself. Inspiring quotes or sayings? Stand in front of the mirror and say them aloud. Write them down and stick them to the wall where you will see them.

Are there movies with happy endings that you like? Watch them. Go back to YouTube and search for relaxing music. Go for a massage. Try aromatherapy. Try anything you think might help. It doesn’t need to be a cure to make things better for you.

What do you do that’s fun? Do that. What do you think might be fun? Try it.

Have hope. Your skin can get better. You can push back against anxiety and depression and overcome them.

You can achieve your weight loss goals. You can do it even in a down mood. You have a good run going with your diary. Defend the process. The process will see you through. Calorie counting works. Be determined.
    You’ve apparently made certain decisions about what kind of life you want. But no one can make it happen for you. Do it.

I didn’t decide I loved my 285lb self. I just decided I wanted to live. And having made that decision, I had a right to see it through. I became a worthy cause. So are you.

Wow that made me tear up a bit. Thank you! Very inspiring. I'll do all of that and more! Whatever it takes to overcome the negativity in my life
  • _azhialin
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I have clinical depression and it's gotten worse in the last year. My GP shuffled me off to the provincial mental health service and I'm on a (thus far) 7 1/2 month waiting list to talk to a counselor. No psychiatrists are taking new patients, so I'm waiting and overeating to keep myself from doing "real" harm. Since I'm stuck in waiting limbo, I can't offer any help.

I'm sorry. There's a shortage in psychiatrists these days and they don't take most insurances. I work in a psychiatric office and know how frustrating it is for people to find help. I hope you're able to speak with someone soon and get help. Maybe see if you state offers free counseling services. Something is better than nothing!

And it's okay. Hopefully you find encouragement by reading the responses of everyone else.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i overcome it with medication, therapy, and doctors care. if it's not just a bad mood it is a medical condition and should be treated as so.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The last couple of sentences here https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/how-magic-mushrooms-evolved mention something that might help.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    For me, it is honestly a vicious cycle. When I am walking regularly and eating healthier, I think it helps me feel better, but when I eat like garbage I feel like garbage. And when I feel like garbage, I don't have it in me to get back to where I was. I am currently struggling to get back to a good thing. Mental illnesses really suck. :/
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Have had clinical depression and anxiety since childhood. I managed it with SSRIs. Once I started lifting and running regularly, I was able to cut my meds down significantly. Still have waves of feeling the need to isolate and hesitation when I have to deal with groups of people but the exercise has made a tremendous difference. I acknowledge that this doesn't apply to everyone.

As far as weight management in the face of all of this. I had to make small habits of things like weighing my food, logging and exercise. The less I have to think about it, the easier it is for me to just do it.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Amen to the sleep sentiment. My depression and anxiety are jacked way up when I don't sleep. Thank goodness I have two young kids who are sleep averse.

Also, and even when I'm dead tired, exercise helps my both of those things a lot. Sounds like you have that one dialed in, but I'd also put in a plug for variety. Changing from running to hiking to trail running to lifting to HIIT... it keeps me pretty engaged and entertained and struggling to keep up. Not good, however, if your goal is to get SWOLE or become a distance runner. Just good for well-rounded fitness, IMO.
  • yungdragxn
    yungdragxn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Laying off caffeine is great for reducing anxiety
  • fmize7
    fmize7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello! I definitely agree that sleep is key and reducing caffeine is helpful for anxiety and sleep if that seems to be an issue. For me counseling helped A LOT! I spent about 3 years going about once a week, now just whenever I need to. It helped me learn different ways of thinking. I really do believe that our thinking and attitudes are important. Its hard sometimes to change on your own because its hard to see if a thought or attitude is detrimental. Finding a good counselor that you mesh with can be challenging. I saw a few before finding mine. Depression and anxiety stink but you are taking care of yourself it seems like and that is a great positive step. Keep your head up. And also remember that there will be good days and bad days. No one is happy 100% of the time. Try to accept your negative moods and know that you may feel better tomorrow. Oh... another thing that helps me A LOT is journaling. Writing is a very good coping mechanism.
  • tde1961
    tde1961 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Read Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. I was depressed because my life didn't have meaning. It's a short read and full of wisdom!