Exercise - is this enough?

I’m trying to lose around a stone (maybe 1.5) not hugely overweight, just carrying a little more than usual and want to slim down a bit (I’m a size 14 usually)
Been going to the gym for a month ish now
My exercise includes:
Dog walking - I take my dog out twice a day, so minimum total 1 hour walking a day usually more like 1.5 sometimes more
Swimming - my gym has a pool and I usually swim 3-4 times a week for 30 mins (often I do this after the gym)
Gym - I go around 3-4 times a week, do 10-15 mins cardio then a workout with weights, I do legs/bum on one day and arms/shoulders another.. the things I do with weights only add up to about 20 minutes, but I get sweaty, it feels hard enough..

I’m not looking to become a size 6, a bodybuilder or anything like that. So I know my gym sessions are short but as I swim and walk often too is it enough??

Replies

• Zoek29932
    Zoek29932 Posts: 7 Member
    Goals witness wise - I just want to be healthy!

I don’t weigh or count calories, not sure I want to, got a bit obsessive when I did and to be honest just want to live my life without weighing every ingredient.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    If no counting calories - then you'll need just find some 250 calories at least in what you normally eat - that you'll now leave out.

You've got the moving more down, now need to confirm the eating less.

Perhaps you have some daily thing that is tad high calorie you could eat half of, or something that can be skipped.

Realizing that if you stop moving more, you'll have to eat even less when it comes to maintenance.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    What're the sayings? "You can't out exercise a bad diet" and "Weight loss is 80% what you put in your mouth."
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    The US government recommendations on exercise are as follows:

https://health.gov/paguidelines/guidelines/adults.aspx

Do Aerobic Activity
    For substantial health benefits, do one of the following:
    •150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) each week of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity (such as brisk walking or tennis)
    •75 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes) each week of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity (such as jogging or swimming laps)
    •An equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity

Do aerobic physical activity in episodes of at least 10 minutes and, if possible, spread it out through the week.

For even greater health benefits, do one of the following:
    •Increase moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity to 300 minutes (5 hours) each week
    •Increase vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity for 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) each week

Doing more will lead to even greater health benefits.

Strengthen Muscles
    Do muscle-strengthening activities (such as lifting weights or using resistance bands) that are moderate or high intensity and involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week