Depression and obesity

Options
So I’m katie, I have always struggled w my weight. 4 years ago during my divorce I became obsessed with working out. I used to feel like my throat would close up I had so much anxiety and the only way to fix it would be to run. Over the years my dietary habits and coping skills have changed. I now binge eat. I’m an emotional eater. And I’m 80lbs heavier than I was 4 years ago. I feel so far from my goal. I’m humiliated by my body, sex with my partner is awkward. I want the lights to be off I don’t want him to even look at me.... I know I’m the only one who can fix it. Anybody in a similar situation that can be a support buddy

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you spoken to your doctor about the depression?
  • lowcarbmale
    lowcarbmale Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What are you goals? Do you want to get back to -80lbs from 4 years ago or would it be a start to do -10lbs.. and maybe later another -5lbs.. and if you feel like it another -5lbs?
  • Madame_Presidente
    Madame_Presidente Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes I’m currently being treated for depression with ssri. And I def want to be under 200 lbs again . Thank you for responding to me
  • gabi_texanmom
    gabi_texanmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    What are you goals? Do you want to get back to -80lbs from 4 years ago or would it be a start to do -10lbs.. and maybe later another -5lbs.. and if you feel like it another -5lbs?

This has worked for me - small goals. It feels good to meet the small numbers. I am slowly changing my relationship with food and my ways of coping with depression.

So yes, I've felt like that many times. '...so far from my goal. humiliated by my body, awkward sex with lights off'. It's been hard to even look at myself in the mirror at times. But at least you are trying to make changes. Keep going - you will be healthier and happier.
  • shawnaleilani
    shawnaleilani Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey Katie! I was in a similar situation. I was always an athlete growing up and then got into a very bad relationship that resulted in me becoming depressed/having anxiety. I went from 155 to 193 in about a year and a half. The weight did make my depression worse. I decided one day to end that relationship and start over including changes with my diet. I actually became a vegetarian and I am down to 159- not my goal weight but very happy where I am now. Not saying you should become a vegetarian but just letting you know there are other people out there who feel or have felt the same as you. Always here to talk to for support if you need someone :)
  • Madame_Presidente
    Madame_Presidente Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It’s so nice to hear these things! My boy friend is genitically thin he doesn’t always understand. It makes me feel good to hear you guys who have done it say keep ur head up. Thanks for the support. I never knew this was part of the app. Unti today.
  • heartofhearts
    heartofhearts Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm here for you. :) You don't have to be 80 pounds lighter to feel good naked. I've got 80 pounds of fat, I'd like to lose & when I'm getting intimate, he is all over me. I'm a mom of 2 babies. A lot of how you feel is you in your head & how your SO treats you. Let's be friends. Let's track!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be very effective for depression. It does wonders for mine. It can also help you lose weight combined with a diet that enables a calorie deficit. My suggestion is to get back to exercising, preferably in nature if possible. Start small and work your way up. Finding the motivation to do it can be really hard, especially on your really down days but I am so thankful that a walk first thing in the morning is part of my daily routine. I don't know where I would be without it. Well, I do really. More depressed and much larger than I now am.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I'm not intending to sound glib, have you tried talking therapies alongside your medication? So much which has gone on in our lives can effect the way we feel about ourselves. Talking to a councillor can help achieve a new understanding of oneself and let go of the exterior imposed criticism which can go round in our minds. It can really help to understand your motivations better.

I would suggest a good multi vitamin and mineral too because while you are in this turmoil of emotional eating there could well be aspects of nutrition you are unintentionally missing which can add to feeling badly about ourselves. By good I mean a product which is easily absorbed by the body, I can't suggest a product because I'm not in the US and what we have here will be very different. The cheapest and the most expensive are probably not as good as some of the medium range ones, please look into the ones you have available.

Exercise should help immensely. Going outside and simply walking or just being in sunshine should help with vit d production. I know winter is not good to be outside during the cold and wet. Vitamin d is being discovered to help in many areas of our internal systems.

It sounds as if you have someone good in your life now. This is wonderful. He will know the best of you even while you are in this difficult spot. Take heart from being loved to feel better about yourself. We are all basically good people, you are no different you deserve the best.
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    remember the first step is the hardest. I agree with some previous replies that exercise can be very therapeutic, find something you enjoy and stick to it. For me it was weights and kickboxing. As for binge eating, I think logging everything is the best thing you can do to control it. It's a massive eye opener when you actually see how many kcal you consumed in one sitting, and its easier to make a smart choice next time you feel tempted. Rememeber every little step, no matter how small, is getting you a little bit closer to your goal:)