Moms with kids still at home/ fitness

Options
Im a stay at home homeschooling mother to 5. I would love to connect with other mamas who exercise. I struggle so bad to find the time and prioritize it! But I know it helps so much mentally and physically. If we take care of ourselves its easier to care for others. Moms, what do you do for fitness? And how do you fit it in? I have been at it for 18 years and I know flexibility is key because life with kids is changing all the time. Right now juggling teens all the way down to 3. Right now, Im doing walking videos and walks outside with some light strength training. Fitness has always been part of my life and exercise of some sort.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Well, homeschooling 5 children sounds like quite a daily workout to me!

What else physically do you want to do besides walking? You say you're currently doing light strength training. Are you wanting to do more? Are there activities you and the kids can do together, such as playing basketball in the driveway? Or is there a park nearby? A little more information would be helpful in order to give better suggestions.
  • fmize7
    fmize7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! It IS a work out in and of itself that is for SURE! I want to lose the last 20 pounds from my last child I had 3 years ago. It has never taken me this long. I don't feel well a lot of time. I struggle with chronic pain but I try to be as active as I can and I surely am active with the kiddos. Just went to the trampoline park the other day and I jumped and had fun. I would love to do more but any more these days seems to cause more trouble. As far as aches and pains. I feel like stress is a big factor in the choices that I am making and I have struggled to find a balance between when exercise helps and when it doesn't if that makes any sense. I also struggled for a year after having her with bad sleep deprivation because she was a baddd sleeper. I did 2 miles today and it really lifted my mood and it helps any time I can do it.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I've only got two, but I just do my best to work an exercise in at some point during the day. Some days that might not happen until after I get them into bed, or I have to wake up really early before starting the morning school prep. I recently bought a cheap $99 cardio bike that folds up into the corner, and I usually cycle while watching a show. I'll also jog in place while watching a show (my older one gets a kick out of "running" with me). We have a dance game on console that I can do with the kids. I'm pretty lacking with the strength area, but I do use hand weights and do some body weight exercises like squats/push ups/planks. I've also collected a variety of workout DVDs from thrift stores. :)
  • carlacooney
    carlacooney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey girly I only have two kids a three and a one year old, I really just hit the gym and do strength training any extra time I get, granted it is easier with o my two but if I can’t get in that day YouTube really has some fun and short workouts that will get your heart pumping. You mentioned that you have aches and pains...have you tried yoga? Again YouTube has AMAZING beginner videos and I believe they even have sessions for people suffering of back pain and an added plus you can do it in the comfort of your home :) and when all else fails running with my littles is always fun and it includes some much appreciated family time hope this helps a little
  • evemariepaiement
    evemariepaiement Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    my kids are at school but they stay with me during the summer break. I usually do yoga (Yoga with Adriene 30 days challenge) at home when they are calm and I laso bought an old used Wii and we do 5 or 6 songs on Just dance (sometimes, they even do the Just dance on Youtube). It gives us 30 minutes of dancing ; ) and we have lot's of fun !
  • fmize7
    fmize7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies! All of these are great ideas. Thanks for sharing. I used to jog in place during shows too. I should get back into that. I also am going to check out the yoga challenge. I love dancing... I just have to remember to be flexible. I walked to brisk miles today! Feeling good and pumped up about getting fit!