Neighbours in their 90’s

Options
I’ve read so many different weight lose plans about what kind of foods to eat, fasting, exercising. It’s all so confusing. I decided that none of these plans work for me so I went back to basics. Which is what are my neighbours that have live to their nineties eat, exercise and how do they live their lives.

- first they don’t exercise in going to a gym. They get out for a daily walk, garden, used to get their own firewood, basically move around a lot looking after their home or going out fishing or hunting. Doing fun things that get them out and about during the day. They go to the community dances. Socialize. They don’t sit for hours in front of a screen.
- They eat three meals a day and that’s it, no snacking
- They eat off small size plates
- On the plate 1/4 is meat, 1/4 is starch and 1/2 vegetables
- breakfast can be just toast and jam or soft boil egg or porridge and once in a while bacon and eggs.
- They have their coffe or tea with what ever they want in it and only a couple cups a day in smaller size cups
- They cook from scratch no processed foods
- They have a small dessert after dinner. 1 or 2 small cookies not the monster size one
- They have daily wine in a small glass not the big ones or 2 oz of hard liquor on ice no pop before dinner
- They laugh a lot and enjoy company. Either coming in or they’re going out.
- They love each other and everyone so they are easy to love back
- They eat out once a week. Usually when they go into town to get groceries.
- They don’t stress about the small stuff
- They’re not hung up with getting stuff
- They’re not over weight 10 lbs maybe.

There’s more but that’s it in a nut shell and that’s how I’m going to go live my life. The diet books are out the door. Back to basics.

Replies

• amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    wendyj1012 wrote: »
    I go to a gym where it's mostly senior citizens. Some of them have had strokes and they walk with a limp. I find our senior citizens very motivating because they've lived and learned. I don't necessarily want to live forever, but the quality of my life is important.

That it “quality of life”.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    dmkoenig wrote: »
    For an additional data point, my father is turning 90 in a couple of weeks and my mom is 85. They exercise vigorously at the gym in their condo development nearly every day and go out for daily walks. They are also strict vegans and have been that way for close to 10 years. My dad was a research scientist and has turned their kitchen into a food lab continuously concocting new recipes, sprouting their nuts and making their own fermented drinks like kefir from acai juice and other sources high in anti-oxidants. They are fierce proponents of Dr. Greger's nutritionfacts.org site. They have some age-related issues as you would expect but they remain sharp as a tack mentally and physically vigorous. This past summer they traveled to Northern Italy (from San Diego) which included a 4-hour drive from Germany to a vegan resort where they spent a couple of weeks. They are currently planning a vegan cruise in the Baltic next year. What they do might be considered extreme but it's yielded great results for them as they continue to live a high quality of life.

That’s it, they’re eating from scratch not processed foods and Good quality foods.

My neighbours eat small portions of meat and know where it comes from.

I live in the country so getting to a gym is a drive. Your parents are using what they have available to be active. That’s the key IMO is to stay active.

Good for your parents to do what works for them!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This sounds like my in-laws!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    My dad turned 90 last May and is healthy and active. He goes to the gym 3X a week and lifts (it's also social, he's friends with a couple of body builders who keep an eye on him). He's active in his community, runs errands for people who are ill or home-bound, meets friends for breakfast every day and goes on senior trips a couple of times a month.

He has what most people would consider a terrible diet (I do, and I'm pretty non-judgmental about other people's food choices). He eats most breakfasts at McDonalds, has a lot of KFC for lunch, and mostly packaged food and deli sandwiches when he's not having home-cooked meals with friends and relatives. The thing is, his labs are all within normal range, the only med he's on is blood-pressure, he's mentally sharp as a tack and his weight fluctuates about 5 or 6 pounds between normal and overweight, never more (he's never been more than about 10 pounds overweight).

My thoughts are that assuming no medical restrictions, at a certain point diet begins to be less important than healthy weight, social activity and maintaining muscle. Just my n=1, I really don't know very many healthy people his age, but assuming the diet covers basic nutritional requirements I think there's a lot of wiggle-room in food choices there, assuming a person arrives at that age without significent pre-existing conditions.
    Some people consider breakfast every day at McDonalds as an optimal diet for health. :D

:'(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    My dad turned 90 last May and is healthy and active. He goes to the gym 3X a week and lifts (it's also social, he's friends with a couple of body builders who keep an eye on him). He's active in his community, runs errands for people who are ill or home-bound, meets friends for breakfast every day and goes on senior trips a couple of times a month.

He has what most people would consider a terrible diet (I do, and I'm pretty non-judgmental about other people's food choices). He eats most breakfasts at McDonalds, has a lot of KFC for lunch, and mostly packaged food and deli sandwiches when he's not having home-cooked meals with friends and relatives. The thing is, his labs are all within normal range, the only med he's on is blood-pressure, he's mentally sharp as a tack and his weight fluctuates about 5 or 6 pounds between normal and overweight, never more (he's never been more than about 10 pounds overweight).

My thoughts are that assuming no medical restrictions, at a certain point diet begins to be less important than healthy weight, social activity and maintaining muscle. Just my n=1, I really don't know very many healthy people his age, but assuming the diet covers basic nutritional requirements I think there's a lot of wiggle-room in food choices there, assuming a person arrives at that age without significent pre-existing conditions.
    Some people consider breakfast every day at McDonalds as an optimal diet for health. :D

I made a bacon, egg, and cheese on English muffin for breakfast today, and usually make one of these on the weekends as well.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I made a bacon, egg, and cheese on English muffin for breakfast today, and usually make one of these on the weekends as well.

I had premade a bunch of them, and stuck them in the freezer for quick grab and go breakfasts for early morning shifts. They were fantastic and lasted nearly 2 months.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    My neighbors are a married elderly couple (think they’re 99 or 100), after hurricane Irma I went outside to inspect the damage and there the old man was on the roof cleaning out his gutters lol. Most days they eat canned soup, they used to cook a lot but now a days not so much. The lady of the house enjoys lots of desserts and we usually exchange home baked goods, she’s not against making a Marie calendar berry pie in the oven though. My great grandmother also lived to be 98 years old, she lived off of restaurant kids meal chicken nuggets, root beer, and CHOCOLATE. The one thing I’ve noticed with all these older people that are doing well is that they never stop moving, they are always active and don’t give themselves time to slow down.

I can't keep my mother out of her gutters >.<

She's slowly getting gutter guard stuff over them, but it's a big house, and she doesn't like to wait for my visits, as she usually has a long list of chores for me.

(My objection to her doing this is because she has osteoporosis, and a fall could really damage her. She points out that she has never fallen off a ladder in her life. She's painted her house several times, so has spent lots of time on ladders.)
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options

My grandad lived to 94 - and he had a big sweet tooth. Whenever we saw him (quite often! between me, my siblings, my mum and uncle, this wasn't a rare event), we would go out to a cafe and he would have a sandwich and some delicious slice, or his favourite of a pancake rolled with jam and whipped cream. He always had shortbread biscuits and hard candies in the house, and we often went out for ice creams...but this was paired with not actually eating huge quantities of food at every meal, and being generally quite active - walking a lot, gardening, fixing things around home etc. He was always pretty slim - possibly could have done with a higher percentage of vegetables or fruits in his diet, but it certainly didn't appear to have any adverse effects from what probably wouldn't be considered a "good" diet. He just didn't overeat.