Pole Dancing 2x a week - what else to do?

Options
Erachma
Erachma Posts: 17 Member
Hey guys!
I've been pole dancing twice a week and want some tips on other stuff to do.
I have my own pole home (which was the best purchase in like forever <3 - although I'm not good at it I'm already a pole preacher hahaha), but of course I'm afraid of doing any advanced move home - still fear to break my neck or something like that.
The thing is: since I pole for 2h/week, what can I do at home that won't negatively affect my performance in class?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Pole is a core workout. You need weights and cardio.

Pole is like barre, pilates, yoga. Add jump rope, spin or Zumba for cardio and weight lifting. Or HIIT intervals which incorporate weights and cardio.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i might consider adding yoga for added flexibility and strength. i find it compliments well. some form of cardio might be good too since it will help you "last" in class.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Yoga would be overkill.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What are your weaknesses in Pole Class?
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    What do you want to do? Answer and then do that.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do want stuff to do on the pole or off it?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    1. Unmount pole
    2. Put pole horizontally on back
    3. Squat aforementioned pole 3x a week
    4. Progressively add 5-10 pounds every session

Love this!
  • Erachma
    Options
    What are your weaknesses in Pole Class?

I am absurdly slippery; I think I lack everything, but I guess the main problem is stamina.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What do you fancy doing? Zumba, insanity, strength training, c25k, yoga, whatever...

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Yoga would be overkill.

actually it would be complimentary
  • Erachma
    Options
    1. Unmount pole
    2. Put pole horizontally on back
    3. Squat aforementioned pole 3x a week
    4. Progressively add 5-10 pounds every session

hahahah! excelent
  • Erachma
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I lift weights. Never gonna get that Iron-X if all you do is cardio. :wink:

Yoga is good. Flexibility will become more and more important as you progress. I also use an app called "StretchIt" and I take flex classes. For stamina, you can try to free dance for a few minutes at a time or just work on the combos you learned in class. See if you can put them together with other combos and do the whole thing without taking a break. Get on Youtube and look for beginner combos and do those. Get an account with Studio Veena and follow her plans. Practice your floorwork if you are afraid to work on the pole alone. Oh, and please tell me you got a pole from a reputable source. Some of those so-called "dance poles" are downright dangerous!

Yoga feels awesome, I just have to stop being lazy.
    Lifting weights is another thing that I’ve been avoiding, but I guess now I should do it ;__;. I hate it so much. Same goes for running. I understand the importance of these workouts, but I never succeeded at running for more than 2 minutes straight.
    Dancing, though, seems possible! :smile:

Also, the combo idea will BsD be implemented!

Last not least, my pole comes from a good source. It’s Gaia’s, which is one of the best :D.

Thanks for the advice! :blush:
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    If you hate lifting weights, maybe you'd prefer a HIIT class. Or Kettlebells.
  • sumoftheparts
    sumoftheparts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Question - is 34 too old to start pole dancing, with the goal of doing competitions? I have a background in ballet and jazz.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Question - is 34 too old to start pole dancing, with the goal of doing competitions? I have a background in ballet and jazz.

Nope! I took pole classes until I got a hernia (I was also 300+ but everyone in the class was SO supportive!). I thought it was a lot of fun! I also think TRX is fun!

As for what else you can do - I'd say TRX. If you're handy, there are some great instructables where you can make your own for under $10 (I'll be posting one next month). Look up body weight exercises if you don't want to buy any more equipment right now.