How do you keep motivated

Options
Hello y’all! Can you share your ideas and techniques on how to keep motivated to workout and eat more healthier 😬 TIA

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    On some weird way I don't stay motivated. I simply know what I need to do to be my best and to reach my goals. If I don't do that I fail myself. If I fail, i learn from it and get my *kitten* up and get back to what I know, because I know I can do better. Holding myself accountable is more important I guess.
  • KaylaMack013
    KaylaMack013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I usually workout in the morning so I get it out of the way. No excuses.

I’ve also found that having someone to meet you at the gym or go with you to classes helps.

Lastly, having an obtainable goal and placing sticky notes in random places with motivational quotes to help you reach your goal.
  • bbybrd4031
    bbybrd4031 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit and it syncs with MyFitnessPal, and the Fitbit keeps me moving (luckily)
  • angelsimbre
    angelsimbre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    Yeah like with some previous posters, I'm not one who relies on "motivation" either. I just do what has to be done. track the food, if fall off the wagon and start to emotional eat or crazy eat, get back on (even if it takes a while... eventually I get back on)... I dunno. It's rewarding to see changes in the body and gainz at the gym (or whatever your exercise is - more endurance if you run or do aerobics or whatever for example..)

I dunno - but I definitely don't sit there scrolling through IG looking at skinny chicks posing and being all "motivational". And i HATE those motivational quote things that people put up also - my eyes just glaze over those.

but that's just me.

What keeps YOU motivated?
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    Yeah like with some previous posters, I'm not one who relies on "motivation" either. I just do what has to be done. track the food, if fall off the wagon and start to emotional eat or crazy eat, get back on (even if it takes a while... eventually I get back on)... I dunno. It's rewarding to see changes in the body and gainz at the gym (or whatever your exercise is - more endurance if you run or do aerobics or whatever for example..)

I dunno - but I definitely don't sit there scrolling through IG looking at skinny chicks posing and being all "motivational". And i HATE those motivational quote things that people put up also - my eyes just glaze over those.

but that's just me.

What keeps YOU motivated? = I guess those fitness model on Instagram? Lol I just admire their dedication to be fit:)

Thank you all!! Much love - Angel
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I had a long way to go. Currently for me, taking my new old clothes to the Salvation Army Thrift Store because they got too big. Looking in the mirror and seeing what I've become. Grabbing an old belt and having part of it practically touch the floor, when it barely fit before. To start, realizing I made a commitment, a promise to someone dear that I must keep. Someone who was one of the 2 most important people in my life.

He would be proud. Actually, he probably is.

Those are the things that drive me.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    1 - Journaling is a big part of keeping my motivation. I set up a 30 day habit tracker page and there really is some sort of psychological factor behind getting to fill in that little square to mark that I did a work out or met my calorie goal that keeps me motivated. It sounds dumb but it works.

2 - Weighing myself every morning keeps me motivated

3 - I will online "shop" for all the cute clothes I can buy when I'm skinny. I favorite stuff but don't actually buy anything

4 - I set small goals to give me something to celebrate along the way
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by eat more healthy? I think a lot of people have a very myopic view of what constitutes "eating healthy" and they think it's all plain chicken breasts, broccoli, and endless salads. Nutritious can also be delicious and full of flavor...find some good recipes and get in the kitchen and cook deliciousness and then you won't need motivation to eat healthier.

As exercise goes, my primary form of cardiovascular exercise is cycling...I love cycling, so I don't really need any motivation to get out for a ride most of the time...indoor trainer is another matter, but it's really a "just do it" thing with my indoor bike trainer...it's only 30 minutes, it's not that big of a deal. I also lift a few times per week...I also enjoy that activity.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Set small goals along the way. They are doable, and then win I hit them that feeling of hitting the goal is huge. Like I started out not being capable of exercising much, so the first goal was to be able to walk around the block, block equals 3/4 of a mile. So when I could do that I was happy dance time. When I started 500 ft was tough. Now I do 3 miles 5 times a week. For weight loss I set lose 8% goals. Totally doable, and makes me feel great when I knock each one down. Also in December taking all my way too big dressy work clothes and donating to Dress for Success. It will be a sizeable donation, another feel good moment. One because too big for me, and two knowing someone else can get wear out of them. I find setting goals works better than so called motivation.
  • danavelling
    danavelling Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Look up fitness motivation on Pinterest
  • Mykatet
    Mykatet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I get motivated by looking at the success stories and photos on MFP. Pinterest can also be really inspiring too. When I want to eat something I shouldn't I try to ask myself would I rather eat that or be able to do X, such as go to a concert, take a hike, etc.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Weighing in regularly
  • H0ckeyplaya55
    H0ckeyplaya55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from yourself not what others do ... you need to make this more of a lifestyle and not see it as a chore... this is my priority I wake up every morning ready for my workout later on that day ... meals are eating in a schedule and it just becomes routine ... it’s not a glamorous life but I love it
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking over a year, part of the time losing (~ 65 lbs) and part maintaining, successfully so far. I have failed a number of times in the past. My take - motivation has a short shelf life. Discipline is your friend. Is this important or not? If it is, make changes so it becomes more natural rather than seeking constant motivation. And when you are tempted to return to old habits, the discipline has to kick in. My .02 - YMMV.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    lililomo2 wrote: »
    i have stage four small lymphocytic lymphoma, which is incurable and i will not do chemo for as i'm already immuno compromised. i have two children and a husband who i love more than my life itself. enough said - i kick my own *kitten* every day and do what i can to wake up every morning and get, It , DONE.

You are amazing. I would probably have a pity party and not worry about my diet or fitness. You're an incredibly strong person to face this with such a great attitude. Respect!