Hold me accountable

Well, with health issues and failed relationships, I figured I’m way past due to fix myself. Going to make a lot of lifestyle changes. Joined the gym and going to eat right as a start. Need to lose a min of 50 and preferably 85. Never been able to lose and keep it off. Maybe this time if y’all will hold me accountable. At the end of my rope.

Replies

• irotmarie
    irotmarie Posts: 10 Member
    I’ve found that taking a picture of myself and hanging it on my bathroom mirror helps with accountability. Get someone to take a picture of you from the back and from the side especially as these are views that we don’t get to see of ourselves. Every morning when you wake up you’ll see that picture and it’ll remind you of how far you’ve come. After a few weeks, re-take the pictures to see your progress. You can also use an expo marker to write your goals/reasons for the diet on your mirror to remind you why you chose to make the journey.

I’ve tried and failed many diets over the years so I know how you feel. It’s hard to find the diet that works for you but once you do it’ll feel great!
  • jordanaholmes314
    jordanaholmes314 Posts: 8 Member
    Best of luck to you! What a positive way to start over! Just think about how good you’ll look once hitting a goal. Make smaller maintainable goals when going to the gym. For example, I want to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 3.0 with a little incline. Do that for a week. Then maybe increase the speed or the incline. Do that for a week. Then increase whatever you didn’t increase the day before. At this point it is about creating the routine of getting to the gym comfortably and not making it a miserable experience. You got this!
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    I found that motivation from the outside never hits the nail.

If you worry becoming overwhelmed, you can try to make the changes gradually. First calorie reduction and better hydration, then a bit of extra walking, then a bit of other, higher-impact cardio, weights, and so on.

Losing and keeping it off really boils down to a change in mentality and discipline. Eat less, move more. There is no need for taking out foods, putting new „special” foods in, going for the latest fad, juicing, using magic pills, fasting after 6 PM, whatever. It can be simple, it can be sustainable, and it should be for life. If you have „the why”, then „the how” can really start with just putting your data in MFP and your trainers on.

Good luck!
  • Bigdog246
    Bigdog246 Posts: 34 Member
    All these suggestions are great. I like the pictures and the daily tracking of weight, bf% and calories. And I do believe in short term goals. When I have had the most success in the past, I have set monthly goals with little rewards for myself when I meet those goals. I have trouble easing into anything so doing things gradually doesn’t work well for me. Diet, exercise and other lifestyle changes all at once I think will be better. If I don’t see some results quickly, I tend to get discouraged. I could be wrong. Idk. We will see. Day 1 isn’t proving to be easy though.
  • sasscass8705
    sasscass8705 Posts: 6 Member
    Sounds like you are on the right track! I definitely agree to start slow. I made mistakes in the past trying to do everything all at once. I ended up becoming overwhelmed and quit. A couple months ago I started with working on diet changes. Asking myself am I eating this because I’m hungry or because I’m bored or stressed? Tracking has helped me see what I’m putting in my body and at what times. Some days are better than others. I’m also learning to not beat myself up for slip ups. They happen it’s just I’m not making a habit of them. My eating habits are all mental and that is the hardest to overcome. After a few weeks of tracking and intermittent fasting I decided to find a gym. Planet fitness is great and so happy I decided to join. I get all the training I want included in my membership. I have found out I love to lift weights. I have bad ankles and have been working out of a machine called ArcTrainer. It’s easy on the joints similar to an elliptical. Remember losing weight slow isn’t a bad thing and don’t get discouraged. I’m losing slow and steady. I set up to weigh myself every two weeks on a Friday because my weekend eating is a little bit more relaxed then during work week. I also measure myself once a month. As much as I’d love to see more pounds coming off, the inches I’m losing is great and probably even better. Sorry for a long post. Hope this helps! Good luck and God bless! Keep your chin up and keep pushing through. :smile:
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    You can do this then a name change to small 🐶 dog. Good luck