Joining rugby ๐Ÿ‰

Options
Hi I'm 5ft11 very thin, going to try out rugby tonight is that a good idea or will I just be embarrassed? Ive done kickboxing, football etc but nothing compares Thanks

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Although high level rugby has changed markedly in my lifetime with far more emphasis on power and size at the lower levels there are teams for all abilities, physiques and ages (one of the more memorable quotes overheard in a Vets game was when a 60 YO with flowing white hair and beard flattened his opponent - "*kitten* me, I've just been tackled by Father Christmas!").

The more social end of the scale has people with all kinds of physiques and the various playing positions also allow for very different physical attributes.

Try it - it's good dirty fun and has an enjoyable social side too.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You could try Touch Rugby if you want the exercise without the contact element of 15s rugby
  • MattO229
    MattO229 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Although I have the opposite build to you I had done it for a number of years. In my experience rugby players are usually helpful and aren't judgy with how you look, they're probably more concerned with how you play but as a newcomer you should be supported if the club is any good. Good luck!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Although I only played for one season decades ago I still recall how much fun we had. I think you should give it a shot.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 5ft11 very thin, going to try out rugby tonight is that a good idea or will I just be embarrassed? Ive done kickboxing, football etc but nothing compares Thanks

As some one who played rugby in college (intramural, wasn't even close to making varsity) I'd say go for it, like anything else it's your attitude that will determine whether or not you embarrass yourself. When you say football American or real football?

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 5ft 11 very thin, going to try out rugby tonight is that a good idea or will I just be embarrassed? Ive done kickboxing, football etc but nothing compares Thanks

Hope you'd had a blast playing rugby last night, Patrick, knowing of how inclusive rugby clubs and their community socials are. Do let us know, how it went and whether it was League or Union.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Never played rugby but I watched enough in college to know that it is a VERY physically demanding sport and all the guys I knew in college that played were big, like NOT skinny at all. They were very fast runners and were beefy. I've never seen violence like I have in rugby so beware...they will rip your ear off or bite your nose in the scrum. Just know it is a rough sport.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hey Patrick,
    Hope the rugby went well.
    I am no expert. But both my sons played rugby through high school. One played high level in college.
    It always seemed to me that there is a place on the pitch for guys (and gals) of every build.
    You might not be a forward if you are light weight, but there are certainly other places for you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    League or union?