Whoosh weight

Options
adchak
adchak Posts: 62 Member
Has anyone experienced situation where wt keeps going up n down a lb here and there and then after a few days whoosh the wt finally keeps coming off? Any explanation? I spent a good 4-5 weeks where wt would go up and down and then finally it has started coming down the last 3-4 days. I was convinced I had hit a platesu but not sure.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I seem to have more stalls and whooshes when I'm strength training as compared to not strength training.
  • winn9524
    winn9524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, mine tend to be every 2 -3 weeks though. I stall out for about 3-5 days and then begin dropping steady for 2-3 weeks before I stall out again. I thought it was odd at first but just realized I need to continue to watch my CICO and make healthy choices and that my body will respond appropriately.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, the scale only moved every three weeks. Then drop 1.5 lbs.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had one earlier this year. I was "waffling" around in the 250's for a couple months. Then, one week, I went for my weigh in and the receptionist gave me a weird look. I had dropped 8 pounds in a week. The only thing I did different was added a couple ounces of ACV here and there. I'm sure it was something else, but I'll take the woosh!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I seem to be doing more whooshing than non-whooshing - when I'm not plateauing, that is. This is my weight chart for the last six weeks:

qgmrhjzkgye7.png
    (from my own spreadsheet in Numbers, exported via screenshot)

5'9" female
    SW: 313 lbs
    GW: 188 lbs
    CW: 293 lbs
    BMR: 2150
    TDEE as per fitbit: 2350
    Calorie goal: 1850

Purple triangles are my weight in pounds, blue circles are the 10-day moving average that keeps me sane with this stuff. The gray dotted line is a reference showing a weight loss rate of one pound/week.

The biggest whoosh was 7.4 lbs in three days, averaging 2.5 lbs/day. That whoosh includes the biggest one-day drop: 4.8 lbs.

The steepest whoosh was 5.6 lbs in two days, or an average rate of 2.8 lbs/day.

Not sure which I like better, the namby-pamby-ing around of the plateaus or the whack-a-doodling of the whooshes. What would be so wrong, I ask you, with just losing a nice steady 0.1 to 0.2 lbs/day?

This also show the advantage of keeping a moving average. This period this chart covers started just as I was coming out of a dip and ends with today, when I think I'm coming off another rise. The difference between the starting and ending scale weights is 4.4 lbs (which works out to 0.73 lbs/week). But the difference between the ten-day moving averages is nearly twice that, 8.2 lbs (1.37 lbs/week).

The magnitude of all these numbers is probably affected by the fact that I am still hugely obese: 1.37 lbs/week is less than half of one percent of my current 293 lbs. I think the whooshes (and the rises) will de-amplify some as I get closer to goal, but I don't really know if that's how it works.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    When I weighed myself on Monday I was down 5 lbs. I was hoping it was a whoosh but it went back up LOL.

But yes sometimes this happens to me. I'll be sitting around the same weight for a while and then one day I'm down 2 lbs. The last time this happened was when I was sick, so I hadn't been eating much, and throwing up what I did eat, so I assumed it was just because there was nothing in my system, but the weight never went back up?? Very strange.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    After losing steadily from 173, I had this happen at 140 pounds and again recently at 132. I thought I’d be at 140 forever! Nothing changed food or exercise wise, but it seems like it took so long before a 2 pound whoosh finally got me going again.
    Pretty much the same thing happened at 132–the scale seemed to stick there and after a few weeks finally a solid 130. I’m maintaining at this weight at the moment. I’m sure in my case, it was a matter of being close to, then at a healthy weight.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    That happens to me more often then not. i'll often go up a pd or two before loosing "a few".

weight loss is not a straight line but a trend, day to day our weight goes up and down.
  • adchak
    adchak Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My whossh weight loss is now gone:) i even skipped dinner 1 day to maximize the effect the next day and went from 187 on Mon 10/22 to 184.6 on Thurs 10/25. Today its 185 but still lower than a week bck. I hope i can continue to make progress.
    Can anyone share their exp after the whoosh wt loss? When does it come bck again?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    adchak wrote: »
    My whossh weight loss is now gone:) i even skipped dinner 1 day to maximize the effect the next day and went from 187 on Mon 10/22 to 184.6 on Thurs 10/25. Today its 185 but still lower than a week bck. I hope i can continue to make progress.
    Can anyone share their exp after the whoosh wt loss? When does it come bck again?

For me, I seem to stall for a week, have a good drop one day, and then stall for another week. I think everyone is a bit different, but at least now you know that when you are frustrated with the stall but know you are doing everything right, that you need to be more patient and trust in the process.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Two or three times I've had a week of the scale saying no chance but the next week 2 pounds have come off (and both weekly digests show the same amount of calories). It happens! For me my weight didn't go up again after.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!