Baby weight

Options
FTM 9wks pp. I gained around 30 lbs throughout my pregnancy, currently lost said 30 but am carrying weight differently post baby (the dreaded belly pooch) and would ideally like to lose another 20 lbs. my issue is I’m currently breastfeeding and from my short research that I’ve done online low carb is not recommended which is my usual go to pre baby for losing weight. I’m following the recommended calories (1300-1500 daily) but weight is not budging. I’ve also been told that moms hold on to extra weight while breastfeeding. Looking for other moms for suggestions and guidance.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new baby! How long have you been eating 1300 - 1500 calories per day? Is that accurate, as in, do you have a food scale and log everything?

I wouldn't make any major food choice changes while breastfeeding as long as it's going well right now. It affects your milk taste and supply so just monitor the amount of food you eat rather than the type.

How tall are you? Do you really have 20 lbs to lose? Closer you are to your goal weight the slower weight loss is.
  • lifeofsykes
    lifeofsykes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing 1300-1500 for over a month now. I’m 5’7 and stuck at 163. Previously I’ve been 143ish lbs which is ideal for me.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I breastfed all 3 of my boys(10, 4, and 10 months)
    For me personally- it's not "holding onto extra weight because you're breastfeeding"
    It's "holding onto extra weight because you're hunger cues are out of control because you're breastfeeding"
    I could not be in the slightest deficit because my hunger cues were absolutely crazy! I have never felt so hungry in mt whole life. Pregnancy hunger is nothing compared to breastfeeding hunger.
    Log EVERYTHING you eat and try a small deficit to start. See if that's manageable for you.
  • lifeofsykes
    lifeofsykes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Liftinglex wrote: »
    Hey I’m 4 months postpartum and breastfeeding I’m eating about 1700 cal a day do weight training, and I eat back my cardio calories. Breastfeeding burns about 400-500 cals a day so keep that in mind! I drink a lot of water (gallon a day) I believe that helps the most with my supply, I’m back at pre pregnancy weight and I’ve been able to get the pooch under control. It takes time girl but you can do it!

Here’s me at 7 weeks postpartum vs 4 months postpartum 3k15rn2u8l0j.jpeg

You look great!!!! Thank you for your response 😃
  • tarynbearyn
    tarynbearyn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Following for some motivation! I am 12 weeks postpartum, and have done a few workouts here and there, but nothing consistent. Not sleeping a ton and being SO hungry from breastfeeding have kind of derailed me. I was planning on starting 30 day shred today, not sure what to do about the hunger though. My supply is just about ok to meet my baby's needs and I don't want it to drop!
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new baby!! I have 4 kids, 11, 9, 6 and 2, and breastfed them all. Breastfeeding can make you incredibly hungry, and not eating enough calories (and drinking enough water) to fuel that milk production can have a negative impact on your milk supply. While I COMPLETELY understand your desire to lose those 20lbs to where you feel comfortable, you will find that your body changes without you even trying in those first few months - even up to a year postpartum. Depending on how much your little one nurses, you can be burning somewhere in the range of 500 calories a day just making that milk. Go gentle on yourself mama, your body has been through a LOT! I would focus on eating as much high quality, wholesome foods as you possibly can and eat to hunger. If you really want to be in a calorie deficit, I would encourage you to only eat up to a couple hundred less than maintenance per day (and even with that - it's quite a deficit when you take the BF'ing calories into account). It's actually not recommended to be on any kind of weight loss plan if you're breastfeeding until baby is at least 12 weeks old. You need to be a healthy mama, so you can sustain a healthy baby as well.

Being a new mom is so full of discovery and learning curves! You're doing great - keep up the good work!!
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Mkneedtogetfit Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Following as I had my c section on 10th October. I feel like a whale at the moment. Have gone from UK size 10 pre pregnancy to 14 now. 7kg to lose
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    For the first year breastfeeding I couldn't manage a deficit, my milk supply was very tied to getting enough calories and fluids, after the initial post partum drop my weight stayed steady.
    What made a difference in my body shape was exercise particularly lifting.
    I walked and hiked everywhere with baby in a sling, ran on the treadmill and have a variety of weight plates for progressive lifting

Now he's older (were going for natural term weaning) I can eat in a deficit and my milk supply is fine so I aim for 1lb a week
    I now swim twice a week as arthritis has me unable to run or walk much but baby still goes on my back when we do walk