Protein Question...

Options
I went to the gym at lunch today and happened to share my diary with a trainer while waiting for the rain to subside (I rode my bike there). Anyway, he said my protein was too low...strength training will eat away my muscle with so little protein in my diet. Anyone have any thoughts on what he said?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Actually weight loss alone will do that. Protein is what rebuilds and helps to retain muscle so if you aren't getting enough and you lose weight and/or exercise with low intake, you can lose lean muscle.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I believe he is correct. Any dieting with exercise may need more protein.

The best advice is to talk to your doctor and make sure you have no medical reasons that would be impacted.

You Can Do It!
  • sherdewi
    sherdewi Posts: 14
    Options
    How much protein are you eating. You can go in and change the default settings on this program, I have my protein at 40%
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yep - If I remember the numbers correctly - According to Joe Schuler in The New Rules of Lifting you can up your protein to 1 to 1.5 grams per kg (2.2lbs) of body weight....

Because I train quite hard I keep mine at the high side of this equation....It also helps a lot to keep you satiated - since I started upping my protein most cravings and "oh my I am hungry" feelings have dissapeared
  • josaleigh
    Options
    It was set, by the MFP recommendation, at 15%. That does seem a bit low with daily workouts. I changed it to 40%. Hopefully this will help. Thanks everyone for the advice :)
  • dannylives
    dannylives Posts: 611
    Options
    Basically what he told you are two things 1) that muscles are made of protein. 2) That exercise breaks down your muscles. And I will tell you 3) If you break down your muscles without giving them more of what they're made of, yes, you will lose them.
  • dannylives
    dannylives Posts: 611
    Options
    P.S. You dont need to eat a lot of protein like a bodybuilder.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    yep....with weight training you should eat more protein. I also have found a higher protein diet helps me lose weight.
  • marlapike
    Options
    how do you go in and change the protein settings for this program. I need to change my protein settings.