Trying to lose weight with chronic stress/pain

Its like a double edged sword. Stress and pain. On the one hand exercise and being fit helps but on the other hand it is very difficult to eat mindfully or to prioritize exercise when you just don't feel good. And, sometimes the exercise can actually exacerbate any issues. That being said. I still don't want to give up on my goal of losing the last 20 of my post partum weight. I had my baby 3 years ago so Ive been struggling. I have 5 kids and with the previous 4 it was more manageable. This time its been so tough. Any one else losing weight with chronic pain? What exercise have you found is best?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    I have chronic pain from RA, I play it by ear everyday. On days I feel a little icky, I skip the gym and only do my daily walk with my dog. I still track my intake.
  • fmize7
    fmize7 Posts: 26 Member
    What kind of exercises do you do exactly? And have you found that some make symptoms worse?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    I walk or ride my bike. Right now, my left bicep feels bad from lifting two days ago, I gave it one extra day of rest. Day by day.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I've dealt with pain for years. I focus on nutrition. My exercise varies day to day. I try to walk daily. Some days I can squat or lift heavy weights, some days my pain flares and I can barely move.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    I have spinal disease, and panic disorder. I can't really workout because my spine is made of glass. I just rolled over in bed one night and gave myself 2 herniated disk. I have to be very careful. No bending. No twisting. No sudden movement. I was told if I get in so much as a fender bender I'm screwed. As far as all this is concerned I've just been watching what I eat. The "exercise" that I get is walking as much as I can.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I have chronic pain, I have Psoriatic Arthritis. And some bursitus in a few other spots as well. My main form of exercise is walking, I also do some recumbent bike type exercise. And on days when it hurts too much I walk maybe 10 minutes or so instead of 30 minutes to an hour. I have just started Tai chi am hopeful I can continue. But I make sure I weigh all my food, and log it every day. That I can do. I really did not start to actively walk and do the bike, until July of this year.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited October 2018
    fmize7 wrote: »
    Its like a double edged sword. Stress and pain. On the one hand exercise and being fit helps but on the other hand it is very difficult to eat mindfully or to prioritize exercise when you just don't feel good. And, sometimes the exercise can actually exacerbate any issues. That being said. I still don't want to give up on my goal of losing the last 20 of my post partum weight. I had my baby 3 years ago so Ive been struggling. I have 5 kids and with the previous 4 it was more manageable. This time its been so tough. Any one else losing weight with chronic pain? What exercise have you found is best?

I've struggled with knee issues for almost 10 years and before that it was my lower back for decades. Depression since I was a teenager. Anxiety? Hmm. Maybe since I stopped being a heavy drinker in the 90s.

I hear you about exercise making it better, but can also make the pain worse. I'm always struggling to not overdo and hurt myself again.

Usually walking is safe, but not lately, possibly because I am excited about Walking to Mordor and am overdoing it.

Gentle yoga is always safe for me.

I'm pretty good about not hurting myself with weight lifting, yet still progressing, but this took some trial and error. Some exercises I have to start off with considerably lower weights than others, and do less reps.

If I didn't hate chlorine I'd swim. When I was in South Florida, my Y had pools that were saline-cleaned, which was much more tolerable for me.

I often don't feel like exercising, and have to force myself to start. I used to give myself permission to stop in 10 minutes if I had to, but I never did, and I've since realized that for me once I get over the hurdle of starting, I'm fine.
  • fmize7
    edited October 2018
    Wow! You guys are so inspirational. I know its tough with pain and sometimes we have to be happy with gentle or very little. I have been walking. Walking is enough and it makes me happy. I do like dancing and just being active with my kiddos. I appreciate that many of you say that you are more focused on nutrition and watching your eating. I definitely need to be more mindful of that. I appreciated reading all of these. Thanks!
  • fmize7
    jo_nz that is so awesome that you can actually run some now! I too understand how it is to be severely sleep deprived. After my last baby I had one issue after another and just the stress of my often hectic life as well. I just didn't have anything left in my tank either. I am still barely trying to do something. I really want this but I struggle so bad with balance.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Yeah, I'm not great with balance either. I have good intentions about it, but then things just don't quite happen to plan.

I'm always amazed (and just a bit annoyed) by the people that say "well, the key is to be organised" or "you just have to make time for you". There are really only so many hours in the day, and sometimes they are all used up. Sometimes I do put my wishes first, and sometimes not - we're a family so we all compromise sometimes, and sometimes there are just too many demands.
    My husband is an electrician in our own business, so the hours can be demanding and unpredictable - but at the same time, that's part of what has allowed me to work in the business and still be flexible to stay home with the kids etc.

@fmize7 My youngest is turning 9 next month, and I'm only starting to get back on track now!! And that's with just 2 kids!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited October 2018
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If I didn't hate chlorine I'd swim. When I was in South Florida, my Y had pools that were saline-cleaned, which was much more tolerable for me.
    I hate chlorine, too.

I was thrilled a little while ago when I learned that my city provides lifeguards at swimming beaches on some local lakes throughout the summer. :)
    I was less thrilled that I discovered this two days before Labor Day. :/

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    my body has all sorts of fun issues that leave me with chronic pain among other things.
    i started walking, then running
    i do aerial yoga or restorative yoga. normal yoga leaves me aching for weeks.
    somedays i do great things and other days i barely get a 1000 steps. it's ok. i focus on a good diet. i weigh my foods on a scale. and eat at a deficit. food is not comfort, food is fuel-sometimes very tasty fuel.
    on bad days, i eat closer at maintenance.
    i've tried anti-inflammation diets and found them useless. my diet is well rounded. lean meats, red meat, green leafy and other veggies, dairy of all sorts, fruits. and ice cream every day
  • fmize7
    @mbaker566 it does sound like you have very good perspective on things. I love your well-rounded diet! I am going to look into restorative yoga. Very good to know that regular yoga caused aches for you.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @fmize7 I wish you the best and as a guy can not imagine the load you managing today.

I started walking a quarter of a mile daily and changed my way of eating at the age of 63 as my health was crashing hard. The twins were 16 at the time and they were helping me with tasks like getting dressed, in and out of the car, etc wondering if my issues was their future as well.

Cutting out processed foods started reducing my pain level so I could walk without falling.

Just moving was what most people would tell me. Some here have been very helpful to me and I have learned a lot these last 4 years.

Best of success in finding your best way of moving and eating.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    fmize7 wrote: »
    @mbaker566 it does sound like you have very good perspective on things. I love your well-rounded diet! I am going to look into restorative yoga. Very good to know that regular yoga caused aches for you.

Yes, "yoga" encompasses quite a bit. I took a restorative class in British Columbia in which we probably stayed in each posture for 10 minutes. At the other end of the spectrum is the Ashtanga-influenced Power-type styles.

"Gentle" would also be on the restorative end of the spectrum, and "beginner" should be, but you might want to get more info on a class so labeled.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I have Osteoarthritis and dysfunctional sacroiliac joints so have to be careful and often have flair ups. Losing weight has made a big difference to the OA and I have just started back at the gym today to try and get back into a lifting routine as strengthening the muscles around the joints is crucial to keep me mobile.

Have you tried water based exercise? I found when I couldn't tolerate other kinds of exercise swimming and aqua aerobic classes were tolerable. Of course walking is great for everyone if you can do it.

The biggest hurdle for me (and for a lot of people with chronic pain) is overcoming the fear of injury or making things worse. I battle mentally every day against just giving up and lying on the couch with my painkillers.

I hope you find something that you can enjoy.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    I have fibromyalgia, and I'm living through stressful life circumstances from recurrent problems and problematic people. Only way to solve it is to alienate everyone.

I find exercise either soothes or distracts me from pain and stress. I think it's the meditative movement, feeling of strength and control, and sense of accomplishment I feel afterwards. I lift weights, walk/ jog, and do DVDs like Spinning, dance, and step.

When my body and mind say slow down or stop, I do. I change exercise modes to walking outdoors. Being in nature helps.

For food, I meal prep for myself and my family. I need to be more consistent with logging. At times just portion control is enough depending on my stress levels.

I hope you find what works for you, both with exercise and food.
  • fmize7
    @GaleHawkins Great Job I think that is amazing what you did. And thank you so much for the encouragement. @manderson27I struggle with the same thing. The fear of pain is a big hurdle. I would love to try water based exercise. I used to do that during a couple of my pregnancies but now the gym is a far drive... wish I could! @New_Heaven you offer some great ideas. Thank you so much!