Good old British chipper tea

Options
So, I’m planning on weighing out chips and asking for a small fish. I reckon about 800-900 cals, does this sound about right? I’m skipping the old favourite of chips cheese n gravy!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Seems like it would be ballpark correct. If I am out I usually try to log something as similar as I can, so if there isn't data for your restaurant but it looks pretty similar to what you would get at another restaurant that is listed then use that. It's not a perfect method, but it's something.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...if you can weigh the chips, then why not weigh the fish too?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Have a look in the food database for Harry Ramsden for a ballpark figure.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Chips, cheese AND gravy? On the same plate?
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    bluekarou wrote: »
    So, I’m planning on weighing out chips and asking for a small fish. I reckon about 800-900 cals, does this sound about right? I’m skipping the old favourite of chips cheese n gravy!

I'm looking forward to that in a few weeks myself. Haven't done the research yet, but......

As for Harry Ramsden, is it a heavy or light batter? I haven't tried theirs in all my past visits. Need an idea to compare with where I go.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I log normal fish and chips as 1200 cals so you're probably about right
  • ghudson92
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Where’s the tea?

OP means 'dinner'. Some parts of the UK say tea instead of dinner.
    earlnabby wrote: »
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    Chips, cheese AND gravy? On the same plate?

In Canada it is called Poutine (as long as the cheese are curds, not cheese sauce)

Hmm I think it must be a regional thing in the UK. Have never heard of that combination before! I'm in the south east near London and we tend to have curry sauce on our chips.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK and have never called it a 'chipper' tea...

And yes, it's breakfast, lunch and tea, unless it's Sunday dinner (at lunch or tea time)... or you're my husband (northern) and then it's breakfast dinner and tea...

Northerner here, so for me it's definitely breakfast, dinner, tea. Have never heard 'chipper' tea before.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Northwest England, we'd call it a chippy, never even heard chipper before.
  • ghudson92
    Options

And yes, it's breakfast, lunch and tea, unless it's Sunday dinner (at lunch or tea time)... or you're my husband (northern) and then it's breakfast dinner and tea...

Where I'm from in the south east we say breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tea is a small meal between 3 and 4pm. Have also never heard of chipper, we say chippy. For such a small island we have so many dialects :smile:
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    ghudson92 wrote: »

Where I'm from in the south east we say breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tea is a small meal between 3 and 4pm. Have also never heard of chipper, we say chippy. For such a small island we have so many dialects :smile:

South East too, for us it's Breakfast, Lunch and then Dinner and Tea are interchangeable. However, if we have dinner at lunch time (eg sunday roast) then it'll be followed by tea in the evening (and that tea is normally a "high tea" type meal)

That's not confusing right?

OP: From my experience I'd say that's probably in the right ballpark.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I generally have breakfast, second breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, and then dinner. But I’m half Scottish and half English so obviously confused. Oh, and it’s got to be salt and sauce on a fish supper!
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    South to South East here, and it's breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also chips and gravy is an abomination. My Yorkshire husband and in laws are so disappointed.

Edit: I have also never heard the phrase chipper, it's chippy to me.

2nd edit: Calories sound about right, I'd go for 1200 to be safe. But that's not what this thread is about anymore. :D
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Glasgow here and never heard of a chipper tea. We call it a chippy, we can be having our tea to indicate we’re eating dinner!

Some of the chip shops here you can try such delicacies as a deep fried mars bar, buckfast burgers and irn bru pakora 😆 never tried any of them!

I have also seen someone order chips, cheese and a tub of kebab sauce, taste excellent apparently 🤢

I also estimate most chipper teas at 1000/1200 calories. Would be interesting to know the number if someone weighs their chip shop chips, it’s prob far more than I guess!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I'm from the midlands and it's breakfast - lunch - tea - supper, but now living on the south coast I say breakfast - lunch/dinner - dinner/tea.

Oh and I love chips with gravy, I'll have gravy on most things ;) Chipper to me is someone who is happy, cheerful etc You do realise that chipper also means drug user or a golf club