Advice on calories

Options
I’ve not lost as much weight as expected last month and wondered whether calories should be cut. I’m waiting it out before doing anything as I want to make sure I haven’t become complacent so majorly tightening up my logging etc.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to ask whether you thought 1410 is a satisfactory calorie goal for 5’5, 175lb female of 27? That’s the goal mfp has for me. Does that seem accurate? I’m very keen not to hit a plateau but I suppose I may not know for another few weeks. Also, I’ve been doing much more walking the last month so could this be muscle gain? It’s not been hugely intense but I’ve been doing much more than my usual.

Any advice or insight appreciated.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost in the last 4 weeks?
  • hoops1888
    hoops1888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 2lbs and I’m aiming for 4lb a month. To be fair, I was over by 1700 for the month but I wouldn’t expect that to lead to me not losing 2lbs! I also use a Fitbit with negative calories enabled so I have to make up about 100-150 calories before I start earning extra calories. Additionally, I have my Fitbit on my left wrist even though I’ve said on the app that I’m right handed and wearing the device on my right hand. Just so it reduces the sensitivity and doesn’t overestimate steps.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hoops1888 wrote: »
    I’ve lost 2lbs and I’m aiming for 4lb a month. To be fair, I was over by 1700 for the month but I wouldn’t expect that to lead to me not losing 2lbs! I also use a Fitbit with negative calories enabled so I have to make up about 100-150 calories before I start earning extra calories. Additionally, I have my Fitbit on my left wrist even though I’ve said on the app that I’m right handed and wearing the device on my right hand. Just so it reduces the sensitivity and doesn’t overestimate steps.

Sounds like a normal fluctuation...

A trending app might help, but i wouldnt change your calories based on what you've said.

If you were over your cals at one point then extra carbs/sodium and weight of food would easily account for not losing as much as youd hoped.
  • hoops1888
    hoops1888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ok. I use a scale for everything apart from milk in my tea, which I’m more than sure I’m not going over with. I could be underestimating calories in the alcohol I drink actually or maybe when I eat out. I’m going to tighten up the logging then see what happens. I’ve lost 1 stone 12 pounds and would like to lose another 2 to 2.5 stones
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If you eat out regularly and also drinking alcohol im surprised you are managing to stick religiously to circa 1400 cals. how do you even have enough left for 3 decent meals if you’re drinking your calories :D

It’s probable that you are eating more than you think. Which, I would say is no bad thing as 1400 seems very low anyway. But nontheless it would be good to ensure the accuracy of your logging so that you have real calorie intake figures or else you may fall into the trap of thinking ‘i have a slow metabolism’ or ‘i cant loose weight unless i eat very low calories’ as that may not be the case.
    BUT you are loosing weight so I would say your doing great anyway :)
    Better to go slow and steady instead of being in a rush and giving up.
    And most of all, be patient.

Sorry to say, but you are almost certainly not gaining muscle from walking.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    At 5'5", starting from around 183 pounds, I lost most of around 50 pounds eating 1400 net and more, at age 59-60. I'm a good calorie burner for some unknown reason, but you're much younger, so I'm guessing you can lose on 1400 net. Whatever MFP told you, believe it, eat back at least 50% of estimated exercise to start, monitor for about 6 weeks, and adjust based on results.

In a month of walking, you don't have material muscle gain, but you could be retaining some water because of any unaccustomed exercise. If so, that should drop off pretty soon.