Emotional Eating.. :(

Options
I was doing so well today, then got upset with daughter. Of course went right to the pizza that they had for dinner and had the last slice. My dinner was a sandwich with carrots and apples. I am still within the calorie points but that is not the point. Emotional eating is going to be my hardest obstacle to overcome.

Replies

• sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    you got this :)

emotional eating is my toughest obstacle! i ate lots of ice cream and chips the other day and was over by like 1000 calories. You just gotta get back on track the next meal (which it looks like you did, good job!) and next time.. go for a 20 minute walk.. or even 10 minute walk.. or maybe try yoga?

I am still working on this too! ahh!! you are not alone !
  • sayambular
    sayambular Posts: 205
    Options
    I know how it feels to be an emotional eater. It sucks big time. But you can get over it with hard work and perseverance. It's hard to do that sometimes but you CAN do it! YOU GOT THIS!!
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about the same thing this evening. I've had a terrific week, food-wise, but today I'm ready to snap from stress. All I wanna do is chill on the couch with about a dozen no bake cookies! :noway: I can buck up and deal with cravings. Emotions get the better of me though. Sorry your day was rough...just know you're not alone with the emotinal eating.:flowerforyou:
  • smallerthighs
    Options
    Don't worry about it...don't feel guilty about..don't be hard on yourself about it.....Just forget it..and move on. Be happy <3
  • nicbic123
    nicbic123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i hear ya there!! that's the one and only reason/excuse i have for being the way i am!!! it happens sometimes but i think the key is to not let it carry on and spiral back to a habit! x
  • jmmccall
    jmmccall Posts: 19
    Options
    I have the same issue and am trying to just keep going forward. I can't ponder on it if I get off track once in a while because it stresses me out more then I eat more and it a horrible spiral. I just tell myself that I have to keep on track moving forward and that I have to eat better. That is really my end goal...to learn to eat healthy is all situations. Good luck with your journey it sounds like you are doing great!
  • KickinBooty
    Options
    I am such an emotional eater it is ridiculous. Anything that makes me happy (food time) something that makes me cry (food time) when I get angry (food time). I have begun repeating the mantra healthy and strong to myself when working out so that it gets into my head. I'm trying to ask myself will this food make me healthy and strong. I can eat it if that's what I want, but it will help fuel me to be healthy will it help me build muscle to be strong. Food has always been there and making change is hard, but this is about learning how to make the healthier decision more of the time. Slow and steady will hopefully get us all there.

PS-Don't beat yourself your up. Chin up and move forward.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Once slice of pizza isn't emotional eating... a whole pie, now that is emotional eating.

Funny... this week I was just patting myself on the back that it took me three days to eat a whole pizza pie. That has not happened in recent memory. I typically eat the whole pie. Every time. No kidding.

My experience has been more like Sarah's who posted previously - my emotional eating is more like a 1,000 calorie surplus. I turn into a human vacuum cleaner with no off button.

I wouldn't think twice about the pizza slice, especially if it fits reasonably within the day's calories. I would just make a mental note about planning ahead to have healthier food choices more readily available to better meet my overall health goals.

It's so important to be kind to ourselves.... don't let perfect get in the way of good!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I know it is very hard for me too. I am a problem eater :(

I try to breath deep, have a glass of water or go for a walk. And sometimes that works:smile: Other times its just not enough. I have the Dove Dark chocolate pieces stashed away for those times. I will have one, or two if itsreally bad, but no more. I guess I have not conquored my problem eating but I can usually contain it.
  • Nursebeachnut
    Options
    go for a walk and work it off....next time walk off the upset and you win...not the emotion...
  • Cara2Me
    Cara2Me Posts: 60
    Options
    We all have these days and times when we get frusterated and turn to our vice. I tend to grab a glass of wine (never more than 1 or 2) but I have found enjoyment in tunring to excersise for stress relief (much heathier option). Whatever you turn to, accept it and decide it wasn't a good choice (unless it's excersise) and try to do better next time. beating yourself up won't help. And you still stayed under you calorie amount. So, you should be proud of yourself. Some people use one slip-up to indge for the day. Your doing well.
    And BTW... I feel your pian, daughters can be trying. I know, I have 3 teenagers! (Hence the wine drinking ;)
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I too am a huge emotional eater. I stopped having any "bad food" in the house. My kid and my husband have switched from eating pizza and chips to eating healthy food instead. I find myself shuffling around the kitchen trying to find something sweet or salty and not finding anything so I go without.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Once slice of pizza isn't emotional eating... a whole pie, now that is emotional eating.

Funny... this week I was just patting myself on the back that it took me three days to eat a whole pizza pie. That has not happened in recent memory. I typically eat the whole pie. Every time. No kidding.

My experience has been more like Sarah's who posted previously - my emotional eating is more like a 1,000 calorie surplus. I turn into a human vacuum cleaner with no off button.

I wouldn't think twice about the pizza slice, especially if it fits reasonably within the day's calories. I would just make a mental note about planning ahead to have healthier food choices more readily available to better meet my overall health goals.

It's so important to be kind to ourselves.... don't let perfect get in the way of good!

What she said.
  • womichel768
    Options
    i know exactley what you mean. emotional eating is the hardest thing for me to get past. i am trying to be concious at least of what i am eating. since i know thats my comfort when im upset. keep up the good work all. and try not to get down when you have a set back. everyday is a new day and a new start.
  • womichel768
    Options
    emotional eating is one of the hardest things for me to get past. since i am aware that i am and emotional eater i try to at least go for healthy foods. the important thing to remember is when there is a slip up or set back..... every day is a new day and a fresh start. dont get discouraged keep fighting and trying.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

What she said.

:) you got it.
  • mfastdriver123
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I have to take it one day at a time and have to remember that slip ups happen. What comes after that and the next day is important. I can do this and I will do this. I am strong and I know where I want to get there. Just one step at a time and I will get there.