Sit ups...help!

Options
Milocmolly
Milocmolly Posts: 23 Member
edited October 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
So I have to do 50 sit ups in 60 seconds for a PT test. I literally can do 5, my core is so weak. What are some tips that I can do that will help with getting my core stronger and what other muscles will I need to strengthen to improve doing situps. Like should I strengthen some back muscles also? Where are my sit up pros who can help! I will take any advise.

Replies

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Are the sit ups supported (someone holding Your feet) or unsupported (not holding)?

Try a sit up pyramid of 1min work/45sec rest/45sec work/30sec rest/30sec work/15sec rest/15seconds work. It helps increase speed of sit-ups. Also, whether or not they are supported in your test, do all training work unsupported.
  • Milocmolly
    Options
    Are the sit ups supported (someone holding Your feet) or unsupported (not holding)?

Try a sit up pyramid of 1min work/45sec rest/45sec work/30sec rest/30sec work/15sec rest/15seconds work. It helps increase speed of sit-ups. Also, whether or not they are supported in your test, do all training work unsupported.

Thank you, they are supported. Does it make a difference if they are or not? I will definitely try the sit up pyramid.
    It’s for a military PT test. So the more I can do the better.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Are you in yet, or prepping for the entry to basic?

Also, just curious....what branch? 50 in 60sec sounds like a lot.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    How long do you have until you need to be able to do it? Find a 30 day ab challenge that includes sit ups and do it religiously, or do your five, then do six the next day and add one or two every day - or do sets dropping by one each set (5,4,3,2,1 next day 6,5,4,3,2,1). Yoga, incline sit ups, leg raises, Swiss ball, pole workouts, planks... plus the biggies - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bent over row... (with free weights not with machines) will definitely increase your general core strength - and definitely practice the sit ups themselves no matter what else you do.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Milocmolly wrote: »

Thank you, they are supported. Does it make a difference if they are or not? I will definitely try the sit up pyramid.

Supported definitely are easier than supported, because it can be hard to fully lift yourself up in the sit up motion (its an awkward motion) without someone holding your feet.

Do you have a partner you can train with? That may give you a more accurate reading of where you are at. My abs are in pretty decent shape, but doing unsupported full sit ups are difficult for me.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Milocmolly wrote: »

Unsupported are harder, but I'd suggest as has already been suggested that you train unsupported. That way you'll be stronger and the test will be easier.
  • jreneetownsend
    jreneetownsend Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When you have 65 lbs to lose should you concentrate on losing body fat (maybe 20 lbs) before trying sit ups or plunge right in?
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    High body fat percentage will make them harder.
    Make sure you are at as close to 20% as is practical for you, presuming you are a woman.

Strengthening your abdominal muscles and lower back will make a huge difference.
    Barbell squats and deadlifts will help tremendously.

50 supported sit ups in 60 seconds is trivial once you have the mechanics down, are reasonably fit, and are not physically weak.

I expect that as one of the baselines for the fighters I coach, male, female, or whatever designation.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    For the OP check with the organization you're testing for. I'm going out on a limb a bit, but pretty sure if you can do 5 situps and you need to get 50 you are also pretty far from the other physical standards. They should be able to point you to a comprehensive training program for your testing.

Best of luck.
  • Milocmolly
    edited October 2018
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Are you in yet, or prepping for the entry to basic?

Also, just curious....what branch? 50 in 60sec sounds like a lot.

I’m sworn in and am prepping for basic. I am leaving soon for it. I have joined the Air Force.
  • Milocmolly
    Options
    How long do you have until you need to be able to do it? Find a 30 day ab challenge that includes sit ups and do it religiously, or do your five, then do six the next day and add one or two every day - or do sets dropping by one each set (5,4,3,2,1 next day 6,5,4,3,2,1). Yoga, incline sit ups, leg raises, Swiss ball, pole workouts, planks... plus the biggies - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bent over row... (with free weights not with machines) will definitely increase your general core strength - and definitely practice the sit ups themselves no matter what else you do.

I have a few months until the final PT test. Thank you for the tips!

• Milocmolly
    Options
    When you have 65 lbs to lose should you concentrate on losing body fat (maybe 20 lbs) before trying sit ups or plunge right in?

I do not have 65lbs to lose, I’m not sure where you got that from. My weight is fine, it’s the sit ups that I am having a challenge with. I’m in the weight standard for the AF.
  • Milocmolly
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    For the OP check with the organization you're testing for. I'm going out on a limb a bit, but pretty sure if you can do 5 situps and you need to get 50 you are also pretty far from the other physical standards. They should be able to point you to a comprehensive training program for your testing.

Best of luck.

Yes they have a 8 week training plan. It just doesn’t go deep into what other muscles are involved with sit ups and what specifically to strengthen, it’s basically do X sit ups a day then the following week add x amount more. I am fine with my run, push ups and weight. It’s the sit ups that I am struggling with. I guess we all have our downfall.