Extra Protein

Hi friends!
So in the morning I like to have a bowl of regular oatmeal and I add a tablespoon of peanut butter and a half/one tablespoon of honey for some sweetness, but I’m looking for ideas to add some extra protein in it to help fill me up. I’m allergic to tree nuts, so those are out of the question lol thanks!

Replies

• I usually add protein powder. In the past I would add some plain Greek yogurt.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    shilowindy wrote: »
    Hi friends!
    So in the morning I like to have a bowl of regular oatmeal and I add a tablespoon of peanut butter and a half/one tablespoon of honey for some sweetness, but I’m looking for ideas to add some extra protein in it to help fill me up. I’m allergic to tree nuts, so those are out of the question lol thanks!

I always stir in 1 cup of milk in my oatmeal. I'll stir it until it gets absorbed in to the oatmeal. Add an ounce of agave and 1 sliced banana...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I eat porridge for the yumminess, not the protein content.

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    I have porridge, chocolate protein powder mixed summer berries topped with yoghurt or quark usually comes in below 350calories
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    edited October 2018
    Been trying to up my protein intake as well (find it helps with sweet cravings and energy later in the day). Legumes are great for protein, and I also recommend tofu and tempeh. Those are a great low fat option for getting in extra protein. I've also been eating Powercrunch protein bars- 13 grams of protein, 5 grams of sugar. Muscle Mac is another favorite of mine delivering 20 grams of protein. This morning I grabbed an ice coffee from Starbucks and mixed in one scoop of chocolate whey protein powder. It was good and kept me full/satiated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I put Greek yogurt, hemp seed, and flax seed in mine (along with walnuts, which I know you can't do; plus berries, cinnamon and blackstrap molasses). 24g protein, not counting the walnuts. It isn't a real day, without it, for me. So tasty and filling!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2018
    shilowindy wrote: »
    Hi friends!

Why not make some egg white muffins? You can make them and have them for a couple days. 92grams of egg whites has 40 cals and is basically straight protein, 10grams. Add some spinach leaves to them or some lowfat/ fat free cheese.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Mix in protein powder
    Drink a glass of milk
    Top with cottage cheese
    Mix in eggs before cooking
    Eat a piece of chicken

There are a lot of options for adding protein and it comes down to your taste preference. All the options above add about 100-150 calories.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    After ive done my oatmeal i pour milk that i have had white chocolate protein powder in over it. Tastes amazing and gets the temperature perfect. No need for honey for sweetness, so you save a bit on calories and sugars.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    I like mixing in either cottage cheese or Greek yogurt.
  • J72FIT
    Do you need to add to it? You could enjoy your porridge just the way you like it, then eat something high protein on the side. I find protein powder ruins most things.

Yeah I've never had any luck adding protein powder to foods. These days I don't even bother using protein supps anymore...
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    When the oatmeal is almost done cooking I add an egg into it. I mix it in really well as it cooks and it disappears. Maybe also one extra egg white but more than that and you'll start getting a different consistency.

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    edited October 2018
    Egg whites are a great addition of protein to
    Hot oatmeal. They stir right in and don’t alter the taste or texture at all. If i want the extra fat I will soft boil or poach a whole egg to chop
    And mix In.
  • J72FIT
    amy19355 wrote: »
    Egg whites are a great addition of protein to
    Hot oatmeal. They stir right in and don’t alter the taste or texture at all. If i want the extra fat I will soft boil or poach a whole egg to chop
    And mix In.

OMG I never thought to do that! Trying ASAP!!!
  • shilowindy
    shilowindy Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely try to add in tbe egg whites, that’s a great idea. I have made egg white muffins before and I don’t care for them, I think it’s a texture thing, I find myself gagging trying to eat them lol
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited November 2018
    egg white (low cal, high protein) or greek yogurt

i tried protein powder and it was gross. pb is super yummy but too many cals for the little added protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Have a couple of eggs on the side