Who Says You Can't Get A Cardio Just From Walking?

Options
I hear a lot of people say that you can't get a cardio from just walking.

Here is a power walk i did today...

nr1az48mtssd.jpg

Not a great cardio, but still a fair cardio. I also do a 7.3 mile course that is very hilly and get my HR up to zone 4 and 5 in some spots.

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Walking has a huge impact on my fitness. I am also really enjoying my Fitbit. I find the Fitbit app encourages me to go a little farther and work a little harder each day.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Age dependent I suppose, but a lot of people would be mainly in the fat burning zone when walking rather than cardio.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Trying to work out how walking can not be considered cardio exercise, unless you are walking at snails pace.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Never actually met anyone who said "You Can't Get A Cardio Just From Walking?"
    But also never met anyone who said they could get "a cardio" from walking either though.

Is there a missing word or two somewhere?

Not sure what you think is wrong with being in Zone 3 for the majority of your walk either.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Walking is pretty much my cardio too, and that's my first morning brisk walking pace.

I personally don't monitor my heart rate, it's just not something that's ever interested me. I do enjoy listening to podcasts or audiobooks while I'm walking, though.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    What i mean by "a cardio" is keeping your heart rate in the cardio zone for a minimum of 20 minutes non stop. Doing that at least 3 times per week will yield a minimum training effect.

Cardio zone starts at zone 3 (if using a 5 zone system).
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I can walk at a faster pace than some people run so I know you can get a cardio from walking. I'd rather run to get it over with faster though
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    What i mean by "a cardio" is keeping your heart rate in the cardio zone for a minimum of 20 minutes non stop. Doing that at least 3 times per week will yield a minimum training effect.

Wow. Means I've never had a cardio.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Trying to work out how walking can not be considered cardio exercise, unless you are walking at snails pace.

Hey, I've seen a couple fast snails during a hard rain. Guess they don't like getting wet either.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I'm a runner and I don't look at zones, certainly doing do it when walking!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I'm a runner and I don't look at zones, certainly doing do it when walking!

I get that the zone training thing is something that interests the OP and all, it's just not a data point geekery I'm interested in.

I peek at mine afterwards, but I've never paid much attention to them. I'm more interested in pace. I know if I'm walking a certain pace and working towards a faster one, I get a decent workout. I'm a recreational exerciser and not interested in training for something. It never occurred to me to be interested in my HR.

The only thing that really interested me about it was how my resting HR dropped a good 20 or so points over the time I lost weight and started exercising. I knew about that just from doctor visits.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    It’s not the activity, it’s the intensity. I don’t get a training effect from walking because a brisk pace is still just about 4-4.5 METs, which is not high enough for me.

Any activity that works you at at least 50% of VO2 max is “cardio training”, no matter what the activity is.

And the usual disclaimers:

1. A “zone x” heart rate doesn’t necessarily mean anything if your HR max is higher or lower than avg.
    2. One does not have to work at a “training” threshold to get health and weight loss benefits from activity.

Even by the standards of the OP, a “zone 2” effort would likely be in the lower part of the training continuum.

This is really all I need to know. I'm interested in these aspects as well as the mental health benefits of exercise more than anything else. I do a lot of stress walking. It's replaced stress eating as a way of dealing with a teenager ;)

So it has health benefits for 2 people. You and the teenager that stays healthy as long as you do. :D
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    It’s not the activity, it’s the intensity. I don’t get a training effect from walking because a brisk pace is still just about 4-4.5 METs, which is not high enough for me.

Any activity that works you at at least 50% of VO2 max is “cardio training”, no matter what the activity is.

And the usual disclaimers:

1. A “zone x” heart rate doesn’t necessarily mean anything if your HR max is higher or lower than avg.
    2. One does not have to work at a “training” threshold to get health and weight loss benefits from activity.

Even by the standards of the OP, a “zone 2” effort would likely be in the lower part of the training continuum.

This is really all I need to know. I'm interested in these aspects as well as the mental health benefits of exercise more than anything else. I do a lot of stress walking. It's replaced stress eating as a way of dealing with a teenager ;)

I heard a story on the radio about a guy who walked across America, not on a trail, just following roads from Georgia to California. He described a lot of it the way you just did, there was stress walking, joy walking, hungry walking, and fear walking in the desert.

https://transom.org/2013/walking-across-america-advice-for-young-man/