thoughts on the HCG diet

Options
I hadn't heard much about the HCG diet until my mom went on it. She lost 30 pounds. She's taking a break and will do it again later.

What are your thoughts on the HCG diet? It seems fishy to me. You take a pill three times a day and then only eat 500 calories?

Is it legit or does it ultimately do bad things?

I am skeptical because getting healthy shouldn't be in taking pills to curb your appetite - rather it should be a lifestyle change and an education in how to eat properly. So that's why I think in the long run, it's not helpful because it doesn't "teach" anything.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    "I am skeptical because getting healthy shouldn't be in taking pills to curb your appetite - rather it should be a lifestyle change and an education in how to eat properly. So that's why I think in the long run, it's not helpful because it doesn't "teach" anything."

You are correct.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I agree with koosdel.
  • Grettles
    Grettles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree. My doctor talked to me about trying it just today. His wife lost 60 pounds doing it. I'd like to know what percentage of people keep the weight off for more than a year. Can't seem to find any stats about that online anywhere. I tend to think it must be like any other fad diet. Eventually people go back to normal habits and gain it all back. I think the only way to be successful long term is to change your "normal" and that's hard and it stinks most of the time. Be much easier if there was a magic pill to get you through the hard part. <sigh>
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    you are absolutely right. It doesn't teach healthy life patterns. 500 calories is starvation. It's a temporary & unhealthy fix.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i would be skeptical about putting hormones into your body unnaturally . after all doctors though giving menoposal women hormone was dandy. till they started getting breast cancer. yeah , not to keen on messing with hormones
  • TheJesterKing
    Options
    Sounds downright dangerous to me. Low calories plus pill popping seem like it will have some severe comebacks sooner or later.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of HCG PILLS... only HCG SHOTS and DROPS, both of which are extracted from the urine of pregnant human females. (Don't believe me? It says so on their own website) Drinking or injecting yourself with urine sounds like a great time to me! Not to mention eating only 500 calories a day... that HAS to be healthy!!
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    You will definately lose weight, int he beginning. Then your metabolism will slow to a crawl. Your body will also cannibalize much of your muscle. When you finally can't take it anymore, even if you return to what would normally be a health caloric intake, you will begin to gain weight because you now have a snails metabolism. And the weight gain will be pure fat, all the muscle you lost won't be coming back so you will look worse than before at the same starting weight, which means flabbier and more cellulite.
  • klabeau
    klabeau Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i tried it. lost 51lbs. was able to get off blood pressure meds after 11 yrs. i currently eat 1500 to 2000 cals a day. scale hasnt moved cause i followed the plan after the i got off. i also workout three times a week on my own and have a personal trainer two days a week. as with any program, if you go back to old ways, it will come back.
  • dangitsalison
    dangitsalison Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in May. It made me gain 55 lbs that I could not get off no matter what I did. Tracking all my foods, working out over an hour a day you name it! I'm 24 days in on the hcg and I've lost 20 lbs. This is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. I know it's not healthy and I put off doing the diet for a long time because of that reason. But my wedding day (december 10) is fast approaching and I just did not want to get married 55 lbs heavier than I usually am. I want to get married looking normal (for me), and I'd LOVE to be able to get back into all my old clothes. these 55 lbs has destroyed me and my self esteem.

Am I scared of gaining it back? heck yes I am. But I know how to eat right and I've learned carbs are not your friends when you have PCOS (due to insulin resistance) so hopefully I will be able to maintain. I do miss working out though!