What do you think of those toning shoes?

Options
I bought some today, am excited about them. I just wonder if anyone can share their experience with them and any results? :smile:

Replies

• Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't have any, but I would really like a pair :) Goodluck! :)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    they should work exactly as well as non-toning shoes
  • Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    I don't have any but a friend of mine does and she says she really feels a difference in them.
  • jamie117100
    Options
    I wanted to get a pair too, but I am not sure if they really work. Let us know if you see any results.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Heard a blurb on the radio about them, and basically they do nothing different than regular shoes. Do a google search for info. I'm going on what I remember hearing....
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't wear then all day as you can really mess up your feet/knees/hips. Best shoes are good running sneakers designed for your feet. I just discovered today that I was actually causing my foot pain by wearing sneakers that had too much support in them.

Some people well say that they can feel the toning shoes work but what they are actually feeling are muscles being stressed in a way they the body is not use to and for some people not designed to do.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have the Reebok Retones. I doubt they really do what they are supposed to do. I toned up with exercise, but they sure do make me want to exercise when I put them on. I love them!
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i really liked mine. the first time i wore them was on a long mall trip with my mom (after having not worked out for a while) i did feel quite a burn in my calfs and thighs. the same thing when i wore them as a waitress, initially it gave me a slight burn- but it wore off after a while...
    (i used to work out avidly, so they probably just caught me back up to my original state haha)
    overall they're good shoes, feet don't get too sore after a long day on my feet.

enjoy!! :)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    they should work exactly as well as non-toning shoes

Yep. I've had mine for a year. And I got asked all the time if they worked, I told people, "No, because I eat too much." :laugh:

Anyway, I've since become a serious MFP'er and THAT'S what has worked for me, not the shoes.

That being said - I LOVE my skechers shape-ups because I'm a vet and stand on a concrete floor all day. They made my knee and back pain disappear! They are super comfy for wearing to work! AND they make you taller! :bigsmile:
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    I bought a pair of Skechers toning shoes and found them to be a comfortable shoe that takes a little bit to learn how to walk in. Overall I seen no benefits so when it was time to replace my shoes I just went back to my Nike Air.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I have some - they're comfortable. I don't wear them for my fitness walks tho, I wear walking shoes. I was using the toners and getting pain in my hip.
    I heard there's a class action lawsuit from ppl injured from them. Turns out, they can cause ankle, knee & hip injuries. So since I am overweight and need more than just toning, I am saving them for when I am in better shape and the results will be visible. Meanwhile, I am flexing & stretching my hips.
    Did the salesperson warn you to start slowly with them? Just be careful - I didn't have any trouble using them or anything. I was in terrible shape when I got them, so just walking the dogs, I could feel my muscles (but not pain)
    and in fairness, I don't KNOW that it was the shoes causing my hip pain when I walk miles in them, but I thought it better to be safe than to dislocate my hip. with my walking shoes & inserts (i over pronate) I am no longer having hip pain.
  • Tracie65
    Tracie65 Posts: 62
    Options
    I have the Reebok Retones too. I work on my feat most of the day as a dental surgical assistant and usually wear them because they are really comfortable. The first few days I thought I felt something in my calfs, now nothing. I sometimes wear them to workout in but mainly just for work. I do like them though!
  • 2004Jessica
    Options
    Thank you everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I purchased a cheap pair on clearance from Walmart just to give them a try. I really didn't like walking in them. It felt strange, like I was going to trip. Calves were more sore than with a regular pair of shoes, but I know they are not miracle workers.
    I wouldn't waste your money on them unless you like the shoe and the way it feels on your foot.
    Hope this helps.

Tracy
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have the Danskin knock-offs and have almost sprained an ankle falling off them. I also tried the Dr. Scholl's knock-offs and never fell off them but they wear out real fast.

Now I prefer the Reebok Easy Tones. Extremely comfy!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    40 years ago they were called Space Shoes.
    Then in the '70s they were called Earth Shoes
    Now they call them Shapers, or whatever.

I think if they really worked we wouldn't need to ask people.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    40 years ago they were called Space Shoes.
    Then in the '70s they were called Earth Shoes
    Now they call them Shapers, or whatever.

I think if they really worked we wouldn't need to ask people.
  • Jelleebean
    Jelleebean Posts: 212
    Options
    be cautious and read various reviews on them, i got a pair 3 weeks ago, and this morning, two of the air bubbles in them burst in my right shoe. a pair of Reebok Easytones. i loved them, i could feel a difference the first day i wore them, but, given they lasted 3 weeks, i'm not at all impressed.
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have the Sketcher Shape-ups. I wear them for walking only. I think they are comfortable and can walk in them just fine. But I can't do any working out in them and trying to just stand still can be an issue at times....I keep saying I feel like a weeble (Showing my age here) and I wobble a lot!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have the Sketcher Shape-ups. I wear them for walking only. I think they are comfortable and can walk in them just fine. But I can't do any working out in them and trying to just stand still can be an issue at times....I keep saying I feel like a weeble (Showing my age here) and I wobble a lot!
    yeah, that's another thing, they can't be worn in the gym.