C-section bulge

Options
So, I've had 4 children all via c-sections. My oldest is 15 and the youngest is 2. My tummy never really got back into shape after any of them, and now I've got this pooch in my lower tummy. It's below my belly button, above my c-section scar.

I'm looking for ways to get rid of it. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm currently working out 5 days a week at my gym. I do about 45-60 minutes on the weights (not free weights, the Nautilus type equipment) and then I do another 60 minutes on either the Arc trainer or the elliptical machine.

The nautilus machines include the ab cruncher one and the the other one that you keep your upper body still and rotate your lower (sorry, tired brain going on). The remaining machines I use are all upper and lower body.

I have noticed my pooch getting smaller, but I'd like to help it along as much as I can. :happy:

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have the same, and I am not convinced it ever goes, but mine is definitely flatter after a lot of running and a lot of planks and push ups. I think it will always be there to some extent as there's a lot of scar tissue.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Boo! :(;) I know it'll never be as flat as it was when I was younger, but was really hoping it would even itself out.
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    I had posted just the other day about having a flat tummy after c-section. I have had two and I describe my tummy looking like a deflated balloon, all stretched out and wrinkled :frown: Not too many people responded to what I had posted, but those few that did had said that it may possibly never go away. It may get smaller, but will still be there, somewhat. Well, I don't want it there. I want it gone. I hope someone knows exactly what to do and can tell us!
  • FallonMCal
    Options
    I think it depends on where your cut is, how you heal, and the amount of scar tissue your body builds up.
    I am not sure... but I have had two c-sections and don't have a bulge.
    Have you asked your Dr about it?
  • FallonMCal
    Options
    Did any of your Dr's suggest massaging your abdomen daily until your uterus shrinks back down? My Dr suggested this would help a lot. A lot of good this does now. I am just wondering if this is what helped me?
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Same porblem this way. I can see the definition in my upper abnominal area, but not so much the lower although it is getting flatter.

OH well, we can't win em all
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    There is only ONE way to get rid of that pooch. ONE way. You must lower your body fat%, meaning you have to lose fat from all over. The fastest and most effective way to do this is:

1) You must eat a proper diet. It needs to be clean, low in sugar, and have adequate fiber and protein. http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/

2) You must use energy (burn fat). Contrary to popular belief, steady state cardio is NOT the way to burn fat the fastest. HIIT training is actually the best way to burn fat. In addition, lifting heavy weights 3-4x week that are compound movements (i.e. work more than one major muscle group at a time - like squats, dead lifts, bent over rows, etc...) will also help maintain/build lean tissue, and result in more fat loss.

This is not something that can be done overnight but will likely take many months. However, stick with it and you'll get there. When you do have to cave and have something that is not "belly fat friendly", have it in moderation and not very often.

Nice abs are probably 80% diet and 20% work-out. Also, contrary to popular belief, sit-ups are not good for your abs - they actually put high shearing forces on your lumbar spine making you prone to injury. You want to do exercises that help you work your core and/or stabilize your core - the heavy weight lifting compound exercises will usually do this.

http://www.answerfitness.com/150/full-body-workout-plan-workout-routines/
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have it. My baby was born april 25. I think it may be getting smaller but I'm not sure. I have not done any abdominal exercises yet partly because I'm overwhelmed and dont really know which ones target that low. My doctor did say without hesitatation that it would go away though.
  • fteale
    Options
    There is only ONE way to get rid of that pooch. ONE way. You must lower your body fat%, meaning you have to lose fat from all over. The fastest and most effective way to do this is:

1) You must eat a proper diet. It needs to be clean, low in sugar, and have adequate fiber and protein. http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/

2) You must use energy (burn fat). Contrary to popular belief, steady state cardio is NOT the way to burn fat the fastest. HIIT training is actually the best way to burn fat. In addition, lifting heavy weights 3-4x week that are compound movements (i.e. work more than one major muscle group at a time - like squats, dead lifts, bent over rows, etc...) will also help maintain/build lean tissue, and result in more fat loss.

This is not something that can be done overnight but will likely take many months. However, stick with it and you'll get there. When you do have to cave and have something that is not "belly fat friendly", have it in moderation and not very often.

Nice abs are probably 80% diet and 20% work-out. Also, contrary to popular belief, sit-ups are not good for your abs - they actually put high shearing forces on your lumbar spine making you prone to injury. You want to do exercises that help you work your core and/or stabilize your core - the heavy weight lifting compound exercises will usually do this.

I agree that that is good advice for building/revealing your abs under normal conditions. What it doesn't achieve is removal of the extra saggy stretch marked skin that simply isn't attached to the muscle underneath at all that some of us have after pregnancy. Nor does it remove the bar of scar tissue over a caesarean scar.
  • TJcycle
    TJcycle Posts: 2
    Options
    I have it too, one c-section. I think it really depends on your age, of course the elasticity of your skin gets worse with age and those of us in our 30's that have inherited the type of skin that gets stretch marks ... well, I just think there is not much hope. I would have to say that it looks better after the core exercises mentioned on here and swimming tends to really help. In general, I would love to know some magic exercise that makes it go away. I will keep checking your post because I am very interested! Sorry I can't be of much help :)
  • WifeMomDVM
    Options

I agree that that is good advice for building/revealing your abs under normal conditions. What it doesn't achieve is removal of the extra saggy stretch marked skin that simply isn't attached to the muscle underneath at all that some of us have after pregnancy. Nor does it remove the bar of scar tissue over a caesarean scar.

In the case of saggy or excess skin, no amount of proper diet or exercise will get rid of that. If the elastin in the skin is stretched beyond it's capacity to retighten then a tummy tuck would resolve the issue. However, I recommend trying diet and exercise first as, some people mistakenly label abdominal fat as loose skin. A consult with a plastic surgeon or your doctor can help you determine the difference if you are not sure.

And yes, scar tissue does not go away, but may fade some with time.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Buy the book Lose your Mommy tummy. My sister just gave it to me and I'm going to start it. But her stomach after 3 kids is flat, no pooch and very fit.
  • fteale
    Options

In the case of saggy or excess skin, no amount of proper diet or exercise will get rid of that. If the elastin in the skin is stretched beyond it's capacity to retighten then a tummy tuck would resolve the issue. However, I recommend trying diet and exercise first as, some people mistakenly label abdominal fat as loose skin. A consult with a plastic surgeon or your doctor can help you determine the difference if you are not sure.

I know. I have got rid of the excess fat. It is just skin now. I am not going to have surgery on it, I don't believe in non-essential surgery. Just pointing out that sometimes no matter what you do there'll be scars/loose skin.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Thank you WifeMomDVM! You are exactly right. Only a tummy tuck will totally get rid of the skin pooch there from c section.
  • WifeMomDVM
    Options

I know. I have got rid of the excess fat. It is just skin now. I am not going to have surgery on it, I don't believe in non-essential surgery. Just pointing out that sometimes no matter what you do there'll be scars/loose skin.

Yes, the bottom line I think we can all agree on is be happy in your own skin. Be and do your best and love yourself with that outcome. :)