Banking calories

Options
Hey all,

To start with, despite the name I'm not ripped yet! :)

If I ate 2500 calories per day for a 7-day weekly total of 17500 and lost weight.

Would it still work if I ate 2300 calories per day for 6 days and then 3700 calories on the 7th day for the same 17500 weekly total?

I only ask because my first day yesterday I under ate by a few hundred and it would be nice to "bank" those calories for a day I am more hungry.

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Yes. Many people (myself included) do this regularly.
  • FamilyHike2018
    FamilyHike2018 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've experienced the same, you seem to be able to do this for about 12 days or so, but that's just by my experience.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    r1pp3dguy wrote: »
    Hey all,

To start with, despite the name I'm not ripped yet! :)

If I ate 2500 calories per day for a 7-day weekly total of 17500 and lost weight.

Would it still work if I ate 2300 calories per day for 6 days and then 3700 calories on the 7th day for the same 17500 weekly total?

I only ask because my first day yesterday I under ate by a few hundred and it would be nice to "bank" those calories for a day I am more hungry.

Yep. I save calories to eat more at the weekend
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Banking is fine. Many do that or follow a weekly calorie goal so some days are over some under but they balance out.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I do this as well. In my case, I am much more active on the weekends than I am during the week and Mondays in particular tend to be spent trapped at my desk, so I try to have an extra 200 or so calories left over on Sunday so I can eat them the next day without going off plan.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I hit the bank the bank up for a loan also. That's a little dicier, but if you're disciplined the math will work within a couple of days. When I borrow, I do it like my diary is right now; full up for today with a couple of snacks moved to tomorrow. I will work out at the gym in the AM and should be able to work them in okay. Anyway, that keeps me from having to mess with math across days.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Sometimes I hit the bank the bank up for a loan also. That's a little dicier, but if you're disciplined the math will work within a couple of days. When I borrow, I do it like my diary is right now; full up for today with a couple of snacks moved to tomorrow. I will work out at the gym in the AM and should be able to work them in okay. Anyway, that keeps me from having to mess with math across days.

I have a "carry over" category for this type of thing. I don't use it a lot and never for a lot but it makes spacing out calories easier for me.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    If I don't have 1-2 days of more food when I'm dieting it leads to bingeing. So I go a bit lower 5 days and a bit higher 2 days. By the time I hit Friday afternoon I am hankering for my extra calories!!!
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't do weekly, but sometimes I have a bit of an excess at the end of the day so I eat those calories the very next day.

For example today for breakfast I had 400 calories of protein pancakes and 60 calories of sugar free syrup. When I got to the end of the day yesterday I had 467 calories excess and I was really too late to eat anything else before bed. So I logged my big breakfast as a snack when I went to bed and enjoyed it in the morning. Started the day with a big breakfast and zero calories so far.

I have not done it beyond eating the calories the very next day and just a couple of times so far. I have not tried it in reverse yet where I went over one day so I cut it shorter the next day. I am confident though I can pull it off now that I am in maintenance.

Finding maintenance to be pretty easy so far, about a two months in.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

I have a "carry over" category for this type of thing. I don't use it a lot and never for a lot but it makes spacing out calories easier for me.

I did carry over where i added and/or subtracted calories but kept all the food logged on the day eaten for a while so the history would be more accurate if I looked back over it, but the main reason I roll forward instead of averaging is because I really don't look back for analytical purposes. So it doesn't make any difference if I log food on the wrong day or move calories, except that I usually end up not exactly at goal because I might have 20 left and then log a 200 calorie item on the next day, still leaving 20.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Yep. I do this as I eat out at least once a week and like to fully enjoy the experience :smile: