Bone-in meat weight

Options
Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
So if you buy a package of meat....

Says 4 oz raw or 3 ounces cooked is a serving on the label.

Is that the weight of just the meat itself that you actually eat the meat and the bone as you serve on the plate?

Replies

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I apologize for the poor wording of the question, I used talk to text and it changed my words a bit. Hopefully you understand what I mean because I can't figure out how to edit it!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    It should be the weight of the edible portion.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Good question. I always wondered: should I record "cooked" or "raw" meat / fish / vegetables?
  • kami3006
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Good question. I always wondered: should I record "cooked" or "raw" meat / fish / vegetables?

Raw is going to be the most accurate but as long as you're using the correct corresponding entries, you're fine.

ETA: in case you don't have the link already...the USDA has a great database for whole foods both raw and cooked. Values are for the edible portions. You can also add USDA to your MFP search.
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Kami, thank you for your advice. Certainly will check USDA. Is it user friendly? I.e. can it be combined with MFP one way or the other? Regards.
  • kami3006
    Options
    The Usda database is included in Mfp’s database so you can use the item numbers there to pull up info here. Just double check the entry in case of changes or mistakes. If you don’t see it here you can always create your own entry under “my foods.”
    And again, you can add “USDA” to your search on Mfp.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Kami, thank you for your advice. Certainly will check USDA. Is it user friendly? I.e. can it be combined with MFP one way or the other? Regards.

As @kami3006 said, the USDA database is included in MFP so it is fairly easy to search. For example, I would enter "Pork Chop, raw, with bone, USDA. I always use the 1 gram entry and enter my weight in grams.

Regarding the meat with a bone, if it is a single portion like a pork chop, ribs, chicken breast, or T-bone steak, I always weigh it raw, cook it, eat it, and weigh the bone afterwards. I then subtract the bone weight from the original weight and use an entry for boneless meat (like pork chop, boneless, raw, USDA).