How Long Did It Take to See Results

Options
I’ve lost 15 lbs since the start of September and 30 lbs since my highest weigh-in. I do 2 days of cardio and 2-3 days of strength training every week. But I still don’t feel like I see any results when I look in the mirror. How much weight had you lost before you really noticed a difference in how you look?

Replies

• tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have to rely on measurements, waist hips bust, and maybe a fav pair of jeans. Weight loss is hard to see when you see yourself everyday.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    tennileb wrote: »
    I have to rely on measurements, waist hips bust, and maybe a fav pair of jeans. Weight loss is hard to see when you see yourself everyday.

I do track my measurements as well. I see the progress in all the numbers just wondering when people saw the progress in the mirror.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    That's only 6 or 7 weeks.

Monthly or 6 weekly pictures might help?
  • Running2Fit
    edited October 2018
    Options
    That's only 6 or 7 weeks.

Monthly or 6 weekly pictures might help?

I think this is my 8th week and I get that it’s too soon to see any really noticeable differences, especially since I see myself every day. I’m just wondering when people started to their own results. I’m not really complaining that I can’t see my own. It’s just a curiosity question.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,492 Member
    Options
    Have your tried on older clothing to see if it makes a difference? 30 pounds should feel differently as well on the way your clothing hangs!
  • Running2Fit
    Options
    tecat73 wrote: »
    Have your tried on older clothing to see if it makes a difference? 30 pounds should feel differently as well on the way your clothing hangs!

Yes. My clothes are looser, smaller sizes fit again. I’m not saying I don’t see the results in other ways I’m just wondering when others started to notice it when they looked in the mirror. I’m perfectly happy with the progress I’ve made. I’m not discouraged. I’m not asking for other ways to measure progress.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs about 5 years ago at .5 lbs per week. I didn't notice changes in the mirror for probably 4 months even though I could see it in pictures. Now after years of maintenance and a couple bulk/cut cycles, I still don't see the person in the mirror as someone who matches my measurements. I don't think my brain will ever catch up.

Congrats on your progress!
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What @kami3006 said. I see it in the clothes I’m wearing, but in the mirror, I still see the person I was 80lbs ago. We are our own harshest critic.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I started out so slowly that it was years, literally. But when using MFP, I noticed big changes around the 4-5 month mark and then again at 1 year when I was close to goal.
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 40lbs/19kg and I still can't really see a difference when I look in the mirror. People at work have noticed and commented, and I've taken progress photos and I can see that comparatively my stomach is smaller etc but day-to-day I think I look the same. I'm hoping I'll be able to see a difference when I'm another 10kg down?
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I also think it reeeeealllyy depends on how much weight you have to lose.
  • josh_b003
    josh_b003 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I dropped from 301lbs to 240 lbs and have put on a decent amount of muscle, but I still see my old morbidly obese self in the mirror. I can feel the difference. If I want to see the difference I have to look at before and after pictures. Still have another 25 lbs to go, but I am sure we will all struggle with self image for a long time.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    f7k9vvwztosn.png
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Maybe they do notice and just don’t want to say anything.
    You will notice it soon enough, like others said since you see yourself every day it’s hard to perceive the change.

Let the clothes be a guide, as they are fitting better it’s proof positive your on target.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Just a little story about how others don’t really notice sometimes.

I took my wife to her drs appointment this past Friday. As we are sitting waiting for the doc to come into the room, she’s looking at the BMI chart on the wall, and says I should look up where she is. I look at up and she’s happy to be on the low end. I show her where I am and then where I was 12 weeks ago. While she knows I’m watching what I eat....she had no clue to the amount of weight loss. And it’s over 40 lbs. she sees me everyday and the gradual loss really never sank in