What supplements and or vitamins and why.

Options
I was thinking on taking a multi vitamin and maybe a few others just to be sure im getting everything i need for days i do not eat the best. What supplements and or vitamins do you take daily and why. Thanks

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin and omega 3 are daily; and protein powder and fibre supplements when needed to reach targets.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin on doctors orders and specific vitamins to prevent deficiencies.

Some vitamins and minerals can be overdone. Do you have any deficiency you are hoping to address?

Young women of childbearing age should take Folic Acid.

Anyone in the northern hemisphere is likely low in Vitamin D.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Multi vitamin and mineral. D3 because I live in the north and am prone to SAD. Prescription potassium because my blood tests show that I am low without it.

Protein powder to reach target when needed.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    While there are many that I find important but if I was going to be stranded in the middle of nowhere I would want my fish oil (helps with pain and vascular health), Vitamin D3 that initially at 22 ng, Vitamin K1 and K2 (both MK-4 and MK-7) and Magnesium since it is a factor in getting D3 and K2 to be most effective in the body.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I take gelatine for a tendon issue (also makes my hair delightfully strong and healthy).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Iron supplement when my iron is low, B12 supplement when my B12 is low, protein powder when I can't reach my protein.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I take a B12 supplement because I am a longtime vegetarian. People who don't eat a lot of animal products may not get enough B12 in their diet.

Ask your doctor to check you for potential vitamin/mineral deficiencies that you are concerned about.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin due to malabsorption
    B12 injections as I cannot absorb orally
    Vitamin D and calcium as I'm deficient
    Iron periodically as I'm deficient
    Glucosamine sulphate as I have arthritis
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I believe in taking only what you really need; if not as @NorthCascades says, it's just expensive pee.
    I take vitamin C in the winter months when I'm periodically getting colds, and a hair multivitamin during the season change (Aug-October).
    Protein powder in on days I've trained and am not getting enough protein in.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Supplementing should fit your goals and needs. If you can't make your daily RV% of vitamins and minerals from food alone then yes, a multi can help.

I take Omega 3 (I rarely eat fish, not a fishing region). And I also take Chondroitin, MSM and Glucosamine, because I have incipient OA at the matusalemic age of 29.

Apart from that, and recently, BCAA. And sometimes a multi, when I've slacked on my veggie intake.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin to make expensive pee.

Shop more carefully and you can have inexpensive pee. ;)

My supplements:
    • Multivitamin with minerals (for inexpensive insurance.)
    • Vit D in winter. (Minor help with SAD.)
    • Fish oil. (See examine.com for a comprehensive write up on fish oil and other supps.)
    • Whey protein. (If I feel my protein is low that day.)

Also tried creatine but it did nothing for me.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Where possible we should aim to give our bodies all we need from food. There are health issues which can compromise our ability to absorb vitamins and minerals. Having a tendency to eat mostly processed foods can contribute to poor absorption too.

I watched a programme on British TV last night which was sceptical of vitamin supplement. From this I would suggest taking them for someone who does not have a medical need is possibly unhelpful. As a support method as you work to improve your diet is possibly helpful.

Posters above have given their reasons for the supplements they are using which often reflects their stage in life. jgantica sums up supplement recommendation perfectly. Particularly in that some vitamins are toxic in high amounts.

Unlike Gale, I can't pinpoint things I could not be without on an isolated island. Magnesium would have to be in my list, its involved with many more functions than ones mentioned. When putting together my pots for the week I omitted my combination for thyroid support, after two days I was out for the count. Similarly when I thought my arthritic knees were greatly recovered, I halved my glucosamine sulphate, MSM, and osteoporosis protection capsules only to feel the problem returning. I know without vit C and b's, b12 with intrinsic factor, combined they provide our natural antihistamines, my tendency towards food and smell sensitivities will return.

Vitamin and mineral supplementation can be such a complex need for many of us. I would advise any young wom, rephrase this, any women to consider if Copper Toxicity, could be part of their health problems. Inadequate intake of zinc can permit copper levels get out of comfortable levels. Women can be tilted towards this situation if they use oral contraception and or use copper iud's. Copper above the amount your body is comfortable with reduces your ability to eliminate excess oestrogen which can contribute to histamine intolerance. A vegetarian diet can increase one's exposure because some countries permit copper use in the pesticides or fungicides! Nut and seed consumption can also increase copper levels. I love walnuts, 100 g contains 1 mcg of copper. Avocados in and of themselves contain copper.

The general advice is the body should be able to take 4mg but we are all different, I've seen daily recommendations of 1mcg, our bodies do have uses for it too. Most if not all multivitamin and minerals on the market tend to have 2 mcg of copper in them presuming a deficiency, (I was researching them last night), I have a prescription multi vit and min without. Zinc, one of the minerals which balance copper id freely found in many meats.

My advice is to know what you need and do your own research using medical papers or ones which reference them at the end of their texts. Then never take more than you need.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I probably pee more out more money than most, but I take a methyl B complex, an Omega 3 plus an Astaxanthin (proven to work synergistically with Omega3s, same thing Krill Oil has naturally but taking it separately is a higher dose), CoQ 10, a Super Antioxidant Blend (yeah, I know :D ) and Curcumin as well as Tart Cherry Extract for inflammation. I also take Boswellia w/ MSM as that's been shown to be better than Glucosamine or Chondroitin for joint health. Oh, and a K-2 (MK-7 form).

I'm mostly vegan, so that's why I take the methyl Bs (I only eat meat once or twice a week, B-12 is hard to get without eating meat). I also sometimes add in Zinc (but not every day) for that reason. I might add in Vitamin D (but not usually) or Calcium (again not often) during the Winter or depending on what I've eaten with Calcium (I only do very little dairy and mostly goat/sheep, so it depends on how many leafy greens I've eaten recently).

In my defense, cause I know half this might not do a thing, a lot of it is joint related (the Omega, Astaxanthin, MSM, Boswellia, Curcumin, Tart Cherry). I was told in 2006 I needed a knee replacement on my right knee but I was too young at the time. I was also obese then. I have the same knee now and I train hard 6/7 hours a week, mostly with little or no pain. I don't pop any NSAIDS unless I have a headache, so very seldom. I'll also say I had RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) pretty severe for over 10 years (it runs in my family, my Dad had it his entire adult life). Since taking the Astaxanthin, as long as I watch my caffeine consumption in the afternoon, that has disappeared completely.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D during winter (I often work night shifts and don’t see the sun for days on end).
    Vitamin C if/when I’m getting a cold (even though evidence says it does nothing I believe strongly in the placebo effect 😉)
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin that has iron and a protein powder everyday.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I have taken a multivitamin and mineral every morning for many years (decades). I have read that taking these is not needed with a balanced diet, which I have. I cook most of my own foods and rarely have fast food, by preference. I have been very fortunate to be healthy, but every time I think about no longer taking it, I just figure it’s good measure. I also take vitamin D because of deficiency, otherwise. At night, I take magnesium to aid sleep.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have taken a multivitamin and mineral every morning for many years (decades). I have read that taking these is not needed with a balanced diet, which I have. I cook most of my own foods and rarely have fast food, by preference. I have been very fortunate to be healthy, but every time I think about no longer taking it, I just figure it’s good measure. I also take vitamin D because of deficiency, otherwise. At night, I take magnesium to aid sleep.

I am like you. I eat well but I take a general purpose everyday "some of everything but not too much of anything" supplement. It is almost impossible to get too much of anything from those and they may fill in a small gap or two.
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    st johns wort, probiotic, and optivite multivitamin