PCOS, does anyone else have it?

Options
renayeb
renayeb Posts: 79 Member
I have Polycystic Ovarian Symdrome. Just wondering if this site has worked for them. I have lost almost 20 lbs and everything feels so haywire down there. My ovaries and having a party or somethin.

Replies

• renayeb
    Options
    I have Polycystic Ovarian Symdrome. Just wondering if this site has worked for them. I have lost almost 20 lbs and everything feels so haywire down there. My ovaries and having a party or somethin.
  • jdk34951
    Options
    My best friend suffers terribly from this. She just got pregnant after trying for over 3 years
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I have been diagnosed with PCOS, which is mostly weight related and while I am not looking to have children, if you are it is very important to lose weight so that you do not lose the ability to have children. I started here a month ago and I have lost 13 pounds, but there has already been a change for sure in whatever goes on down there LOL. Anyway good luck to you!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I have it too. Been trying for babies for 6 years :( Hopefully losing weight helps!
  • verifire
    Options
    Good luck, you guys. Whatever that is, it sounds terrible. I hope you all succeed.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

My BFF just got diagnosed with it. Doctor said what helps is weight loss. It is harder but you can do it. and to monitor you carbs best thing is a low glycemic index diet because your at higher risk for diabetes with PCOS.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    My sister in law just got diagnosed with it! I'm interested to learn more about it!
  • LaurenLibra
    Options
    I was diagnosed with this three years ago. I went to the doctors Tuesday for a check-up and he said I still have to lose about 10kg.
    Has anyone been given a diet plan or anything for this? I was trying to look it up on the net but every website I looked at was trying to sell me something :ohwell:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I was diagnosed with this three years ago. I went to the doctors Tuesday for a check-up and he said I still have to lose about 10kg.
    Has anyone been given a diet plan or anything for this? I was trying to look it up on the net but every website I looked at was trying to sell me something :ohwell:

low glycemic is good especially since with PCOS you are at higher risk of diabetes.
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    Polycystic ovary syndrome (say "pah-lee-SIS-tik OH-vuh-ree SIN-drohm") is a problem in which a woman’s hormones are out of balance. It can cause problems with your periods and make it difficult to get pregnant. PCOS may also cause unwanted changes in the way you look. If it is not treated, over time it can lead to serious health problems, such as diabetes and heart disease.

Polycystic ovary syndrome (or PCOS) is common, affecting as many as 1 in 15 women. Often the symptoms begin in the teen years. Treatment can help control the symptoms and prevent long-term problems.

Symptoms tend to be mild at first. You may have only a few symptoms or a lot of them. The most common symptoms are:

Acne.
    Weight gain and trouble losing weight.
    Extra hair on the face and body. Often women get thicker and darker facial hair and more hair on the chest, belly, and back.
    Thinning hair on the scalp.
    Irregular periods. Often women with PCOS have fewer than nine periods a year. Some women have no periods. Others have very heavy bleeding.
    Fertility problems. Many women with PCOS have trouble getting pregnant (infertility).
    Depression.

PCOS seems to run in families, so your chance of having it is higher if other women in your family have PCOS, irregular periods, or diabetes. PCOS can be passed down from either your mother's or father's side.
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    Regular exercise, healthy foods, and weight control are key treatments for PCOS. Medicines to balance hormones may also be used. Getting treatment can reduce unpleasant symptoms and help prevent long-term health problems.

The first step in managing PCOS is to get regular exercise and eat heart-healthy foods. This can help lower blood pressure and cholesterol and reduce the risk of diabetes and heart disease. It can also help you lose weight if you need to.

Try to fit in moderate activity and/or vigorous activity on a regular basis. Walking is a great exercise that most people can do.

Eat a heart-healthy diet. In general, this diet has lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, and whole grains. It also limits foods that are high in saturated fat, such as meats, cheeses, and fried foods. If you have blood sugar problems, try to eat about the same amount of carbohydrate at each meal. A registered dietitian can help you make a meal plan.

Most women with PCOS can benefit from losing weight. Even losing 10lb may help get your hormones in balance and regulate your menstrual cycle. PCOS can make it hard to lose weight, so work with your doctor to make a plan that can help you succeed.

If you smoke, consider quitting. Women who smoke have higher androgen levels that may contribute to PCOS symptoms.1 Smoking also increases the risk for heart disease.
  • renayeb
    Options
    I have been on this site for about 3 weeks and lost 17 lbs. I am doing atkins and the weight seen to come rightl off. I have learned that low carb is the best way to go and I wont let greediness give me back those lbs i've lost. I have never been able to lose weight on any other diet than Atkins and it not too bad. I appreciate all those who posted back and please keep them coming.

For you jessmomof3 and verifire
    PCOS kind of ike the opposite of diabetes. Diabetics usually have low insuln levels and take insulin shots where as people with PCOS produce too much insulin and their body does not absorb it like it should therefore you crave sugar. This inturn affects you hormonal balances in unimaginal ways making it really difficult to conceive and/ or carry a child. Your body can produce tons of testosterone and less of the progesterone needed to sustain a pregnanacy. Also it is so easy to gain weigh but losing it is extremely difficult.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I have been on this site for about 3 weeks and lost 17 lbs. I am doing atkins and the weight seen to come rightl off. I have learned that low carb is the best way to go and I wont let greediness give me back those lbs i've lost. I have never been able to lose weight on any other diet than Atkins and it not too bad. I appreciate all those who posted back and please keep them coming.

For you jessmomof3 and verifire
    PCOS kind of ike the opposite of diabetes. Diabetics usually have low insuln levels and take insulin shots where as people with PCOS produce too much insulin and their body does not absorb it like it should therefore you crave sugar. This inturn affects you hormonal balances in unimaginal ways making it really difficult to conceive and/ or carry a child. Your body can produce tons of testosterone and less of the progesterone needed to sustain a pregnanacy. Also it is so easy to gain weigh but losing it is extremely difficult.

Thanks for the info! I will pass it on to my SIL.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 18... so it's been a while... it was "uncommon" back then.
    Yeah, the symptoms SUCK and I hate it....but I just keep on truckin along.

Good luck everyone.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it when I was 15 and I was simply put on birth control. Then, surprise surprise, while on the pill (with PCOS no less) I got pregnant at 19. :laugh: My family is known for high fertility rates, but I was sure that I was doubly protected. :tongue:

For me, PCOS mostly inhibits my weightloss. Its so disheartening to see people on the boards who are doing exactly what I'm doing losing 1-2 pounds a week. I'm lucky if I lose 2 pounds in a month. LUCKY. :sad:

And of course, symptoms of PCOS tend to lessen when you lose weight. Figures. :indifferent:

Also, the part that probably bothers me the most is the *ahem* facial hair. I've done enough waxing and plucking for 50 women in my lifetime. :mad:
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS. My doctor does not want to put me on anything because he said with my healthy eating and exercising it will fix itself.

Since I have been losing weight my periods have come more often still all over the map though and the facial hair on my chin is not coming back as much as it used to.

All I am doing it keeping with up wiht my lifestyle change and hoping my PCOS changes too.

I do not want kids so I am not too worried about it but I just got my yearly pap last month and my dr's office called yesterday saying that I now have to get another one in 6 months, I have some cells that they are watching so I meet with my Dr on Tues so I hope it's not too serious so Im a little worried.

Just keeping my fingers crossed!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it when I was 15 and I was simply put on birth control. Then, surprise surprise, while on the pill (with PCOS no less) I got pregnant at 19. :laugh: My family is known for high fertility rates, but I was sure that I was doubly protected. :tongue:

For me, PCOS mostly inhibits my weightloss. Its so disheartening to see people on the boards who are doing exactly what I'm doing losing 1-2 pounds a week. I'm lucky if I lose 2 pounds in a month. LUCKY. :sad:

And of course, symptoms of PCOS tend to lessen when you lose weight. Figures. :indifferent:

Also, the part that probably bothers me the most is the *ahem* facial hair. I've done enough waxing and plucking for 50 women in my lifetime. :mad:

A kindred spirit! I sooooo understand!
    :flowerforyou: