Walkers/Hikers

Options
I've tried running and jogging both, but walking and hiking have always been my preferred form of exercise. I've seen many people here that run, but I was just wondering, does anyone here like to just walk?

Replies

• DHudson77
    DHudson77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Yes, my husband and I have tried walking and jogging in the past. But now we are walkers. There's still a little nagging thought in the back of my mind that I would like to run in a 5K. We'll see how that goes for the future. If I try it again, it will be a walk/run combination, I'm sure. If I could finish in 30 minutes, I would be very happy.

How often to you walk? Daily?
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Love hiking! Burns some serious calories too.
  • climbingmountains
    Options
    I hike every day, I am fortunate to live in the Colorado Rockies and try to get out at least one hour a day---usually a bit more. I wear a HRM and seem to be burning more calories than when I was doing workout Dvd's. I love being outside.
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    I love hiking !! my profile pic is from the grand canyon when i hiked there last year !
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend walks for hours every day. on one of our first dates he took me walking and we ended up walking for 3 hours. i loved it. when i questioned him abuot the time of the walk, he said he was waiting for me to say we had to turn around. but i wasnt tired at all, i could have gone for another hour. that by the way was a huge NSV for me. so yeah, walking is awesome. i just started running though. i dream of running.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Many people here walk but, it's important if you choose that as your exercise to make sure you push hard enough your heart rate is at an aerobic level.
  • Sunnimyst
    Sunnimyst Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love to hike! Haven't done it in years though. My goal is to hike Mt Marcy, the highest peak in the Adirondacks, again. Its so beautiful at the top, amazing view! =o)
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Me, me, me! I walk or skate but I REFUSE to run!
    oh, and I hike too!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid walker/hiker
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    If I want to go somewhere about a mile from my house and I don't want to arrive sweaty I like to walk there.
  • HealthyAlp
    Options
    That is fortunate. Used to live in the mountain ranges of OK, but now I am in town. I wish I stilled lived in the country where there are hills to trek.
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I love walking. I've been told it is actually better on your joints but it probably depends on the person and I could be wrong of course b/c I'm not an expert. :)
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Love hiking! Burns some serious calories too.

Hiking is AWESOME!!!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Besides Curves, Walking is My Favorite thing to do!! Maybe because I came so close to Not being able to walk, now I walk EVERY Chance I get.

:laugh: A few weeks ago I walked up the stairs to the 3rd floor of the Museum. There was a Volunteer at the top who saw me coming and when I got there said "Did you not find the Elevator?" I said, Oh, I know where it is, Thanks!! He looked stunned and said "Then why did you walk all the way up here?!"
    :happy: I said "Because 2 years ago, I COULDN'T walk up a flight of stairs!!! Now I do it, just because I CAN!!!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I love hiking !! my profile pic is from the grand canyon when i hiked there last year !

Doing that is on My Bucket List!! Great Picture!!
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    A walker and hiker here!
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I walk almost daily for at least half an hour. It works wonders. I supplement it with three days of weight training and have increased the speed of my walk. At this weight, since I have a couple injuries, walking is the only option at the moment and even though in the past I have laughed at "walkers", it is good exercise.
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    I walk almost daily for at least half an hour. It works wonders. I supplement it with three days of weight training and have increased the speed of my walk. At this weight, since I have a couple injuries, walking is the only option at the moment and even though in the past I have laughed at "walkers", it is good exercise.
  • adrian_indy
    Options
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    sure :) I love to walk, I can walk the whole day without stopping :) I am from Europe used to live in Paris and walked everywhere always. I am still walking at least an hour at least, but sometimes even 3 :))). Unfortunately in USA you are stuck with cars :((( I wish there were some way to change cars to walking or change the distances lol