What is your reward system to stay motivated?

Options
Hi everyone, sometimes I find it hard to stay motivated and was thinking of putting in place a reward system so I had something physical to look forward to and to aim for on the days I’m unmotivated
Any ideas? And if you do this.. what to you do? :) x

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is pretty motivating.

But yeah, it's more about habit.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    What @machka9 said.

Physical rewards: I have clothes from my current size (14) to size 8 in my closet so being able to see pants or shirts button that didn't before is very rewarding.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I buy a new manga every Saturday, and then I add a new character to my Halloween sleeve at the end of each month.
  • Kada487
    Kada487 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!!

I found something simple online

2jars: in one is a colourful stone for every 1lb you want to loose
    The other jar is empty, each one you loose you put into the other jar.

I have quite a way to go so doing it stone by stone seems best

But having read your replies there’s definitely a few things I’m going to be keeping in my back pocket for later on when I want to mix it up a little. Thank you!! :) x
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I
    Kada487 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies!!

I found something simple online

2jars: in one is a colourful stone for every 1lb you want to loose
    The other jar is empty, each one you loose you put into the other jar.

I have quite a way to go so doing it stone by stone seems best

But having read your replies there’s definitely a few things I’m going to be keeping in my back pocket for later on when I want to mix it up a little. Thank you!! :) x

I always found its better to reward yourself after a great week of healthy eating, and getting in all of your workouts. This way, you’re focusing on creating the habit necessary for a healthy lifestyle.
    We’ve all hit plateaus when losing weight and it becomes frustrating causing some to throw in the towel. And I’ve found that I can even do a workout program for 2 months, lose a lot of inches, but gain 5lbs.

When at a higher body fat percentage, it’s okay (for now) to do this with pounds lost, but you must remember that losing weight doesn’t build healthy habits. I mean, look at eating disorders; they can lose weight and are nowhere near healthy.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My reward is in the mirror. Honestly, there is nothing I can buy myself that makes me happier than results.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    My reward is a pair of Levi 501 jeans. Sounds silly, but I set a goal to get into a pair of jeans. I bought them and have them hanging in my closet, next to a shirt I don't fit in yet. It's a reminder that I have come so far. I also have one old outfit next to them. When I look at the old, I realize how far I've come.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My reward is a pair of Levi 501 jeans. Sounds silly, but I set a goal to get into a pair of jeans. I bought them and have them hanging in my closet, next to a shirt I don't fit in yet. It's a reminder that I have come so far. I also have one old outfit next to them. When I look at the old, I realize how far I've come.

I've done that too! My Levi's 525s. I bought a size or 2 smaller than my usual and once every couple of weeks I try them on. They go on now, and button!, and they're still too small be be comfortable for every day wear.
  • chockfullofmoxie
    chockfullofmoxie Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I’m a snacker and something that’s been motivating to me is finishing out my diary and seeing if I continue today’s track how much I would lose. Since starting this I’ve only gone over one day my allotment once. I didn’t work out to get my daily “snack”.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Getting new smaller clothes and giving away old larger ones. I like getting the new ones a bit small and feel successful when it is time for them to go to goodwilll. For my birthday next June, I should be at my bmi healthy midpoint goal weight and plan to go sky diving. I'm below the maximum sky dive weight already, but really, is that something you want to do at maximum allowable weight? I'll also plan some scuba vacations next year. I got certified at over 300 lb a couple years back but had to wear a 40 lb weight belt in order to sink. A lot of things are getting a lot easier to do, like clip my toenails, and that is motivating.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I made a list of things that I've wanted but could never justify actually getting. Every 5 pounds, I can get one of those things. Non-food treats, basically. I wouldn't say they're what keep me going, but they do help me acknowledge that I have made progress (I have a tendency to not reward myself for a job well done, self-esteem issues yadda yadda).
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    My sunglasses were in terrible shape. I bought a new, awesome pair. But I made myself earn them. Having them at home, on the shelf, staring at me was really motivating. When I reached my current 10-lb mini goal, I could take them off the shelf to wear them. I hit that goal this morning! Going to be stylin' on the drive home tonight! B) Now I'm trying to think of what I'll buy to reward myself for the next 10 lbs.
  • Carneyje3
    Carneyje3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of putting in a reward system as well, but instead of based around goals having it based around habit. For example, I hate my current headphones and would like to buy a new nice pair. If I stick to my gym schedule, caloric schedule, and over all routine for a full month I will get them for myself.

I think for my long term goals to succeed, it's more important I reward consistency with habits as opposed to results.
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Carneyje3 wrote: »
    I've been thinking of putting in a reward system as well, but instead of based around goals having it based around habit. For example, I hate my current headphones and would like to buy a new nice pair. If I stick to my gym schedule, caloric schedule, and over all routine for a full month I will get them for myself.

I think for my long term goals to succeed, it's more important I reward consistency with habits as opposed to results.

I picked up some headphones yesterday and I already love them ! You won't regret it
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options

Fantatic post!! :)

I don't really do rewards because for me they don't seem to work. Otherwise, I would already have that fantastic wardrobe that my husband promised I could buy whenever I hit the goal weight I can be happy with. What works for me is seeing progress and pushing myself towards more progress. Today, I bought a pair of jeans in a size 16 from the regular section of the store and not in the plus side of the store. That is what keeps me going!! B)
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Just losing the weight and fitting into some of the items in the the pile of clothes I have waiting for me to get back to my normal size is reward enough for me this time around! I do occasionally buy something I really want to wear in a size or two smaller than I can wear now. But I have plenty of clothes waiting for me in my closet!