Overnight Oats

Options
Looking into making overnight oats my standard breakfast during the week. Most recipes call for 5 hours to overnight for the oats to sit in the refrigerator. Is there a maximum time? The latest I can make it would be about 10 pm and wouldn't be eating till after 7 am. I'd rather making breakfast not be the last thing I do before bed. Could I prepare it at maybe 6 or 7 pm and it still be good to go at 7 am?

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I would say the maximum time is when it gets moldy or depending on the type of milk you use, it goes sour. I've used both dairy milk and almond milk. I prepare Monday through Friday's oats on Sunday night. They have always been fine. If you're not comfortable letting food sit around that long, you can always make just a few days worth at a time.
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I make mine at around 9pm and eat at around 7am but I’ve been known to sometimes change my mind and eat something else that day and then have the oats the day after!
    So short answer would be that they definatly last a few days in the fridge!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    when i was doing them i made 3 or 4 days worth at a time. i used unsweetened almond milk and plain greek yogurt and i never had an issue on the last day or anything.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I know people that are doing a whole week worth, as long as the milk covers the fruit. I tried the over night oats and they don’t seem to be as filling for as a fully loaded yoghurt
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I've made them 3-4 days ahead and they've been fine. I just put oats and cashew milk, and leave the extras for the day of depending on what I feel like.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    My fiancé makes them every evening, around 8:30pm.They leave the house with him at 4:45am and he doesn't eat them til about 11am. So that's just over 6 hours they are out of the fridge and he says they are absolutely fine. I personally can't get past the texture of them, but I know lots of people who enjoy overnight oats for breakfast :smile:
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I make them up for the kids 4 days worth at a time, they last just fine.