What do YOU do with ground elk?

lwhitman208
lwhitman208 Posts: 22 Member
I absolutely love this time of year because of all the game meat I can cook. I've recently acquired some ground elk (which I'll probably use in chili), and it got me thinking: what other ways would I want to try to cook it? I don't like to substitute it for beef, I like elk and deer meat to have its own niche in my stomach (err, heart) when it comes to recipes.

How do you folks like to prepare your ground elk?

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I rarely have it anymore but when I lived in Montana, I did all the time. I used it in pasta sauces, chili, soups, tacos - pretty much anything you would normally use ground meat in. Probably not what you were looking for but it's how I used it.
  • LiveInLeggings
    LiveInLeggings Posts: 222 Member
    why not just make burgers or meatballs?
  • lwhitman208
    lwhitman208 Posts: 22 Member
    why not just make burgers or meatballs?

I do love panfrying some elk patties with onions and mushrooms! What sort of seasoning would you use with meatballs?
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Share some with your new friend.......me? Haha

I would try and make jerky if it were me. I assume it's similar to venison.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Burgers! Yum! Or chili would be awesome
  • AndThenIWoreIt
    AndThenIWoreIt Posts: 25 Member
    I made a meatloaf with it once, and it was hands-down the best meatloaf ever. The texture was outrageously delicate.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    I absolutely love this time of year because of all the game meat I can cook. I've recently acquired some ground elk (which I'll probably use in chili), and it got me thinking: what other ways would I want to try to cook it? I don't like to substitute it for beef, I like elk and deer meat to have its own niche in my stomach (err, heart) when it comes to recipes.

How do you folks like to prepare your ground elk?
    Personally, I cook ground elk just the same as tree elk. ;)

Silliness aside, I've sadly never had the chance to cook or consume any kind of elk, arboreal or terrestrial. I understand that it's a lean and flavorful meat, so I might use it in burgers. Or, not sure what you call it, but if I had some right now I might brown it with garlic, thyme, and rosemary - and maybe a dash of balsamic vinegar - and serve it on top of pasta with some sauteed not-too-bitter greens.

Or maybe make an elk-loaf.

• ImSoSquishy
    ImSoSquishy Posts: 57 Member
    you can make stew, very hearty comfort food! yum!
  • wendessacrowder
    wendessacrowder Posts: 1 Member
    Pan fried with onion,peppers,mushrooms and garlic. Served like a hamburger steak (no bread) with a salad and mashed cauliflower. Stuffed peppers made with elk is also really good.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Elk works well as a burger. I've had all sorts of different meats as burgers besides beef (elk, venison, ostrich buffalo, chicken, turkey, and probably more) and they all have their own unique taste and experience. I don't think you have to worry about it seeming too similar to beef.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I love an Elk burger; probably my favorite burger
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    SPG, Italian seasoning, a few bread crumbs (or not) - roll 'em up...BAMMO! You have elk or venison or "______" meatballs
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Eat it.