Over 60

Options
Hi, I'm a 61year old housewife and carer to my husband. In the last five years, our younger son moved out, we lost the dog, and we moved to a bungalow - so I've done less and less exercise, and put on more and more weight. I developed back pain and hip pain, which made me even more reluctant to move about. I'm 5'5 1/2" (1.66m) and hit 14st 3lbs/200lbs (90kg) in July. Then, on holiday, a masseuse explained my pain was sciatica, so exercising won't harm me. I bought an exercise tracker and I've built my average steps up from under 2000 to nearly 5000 a day. I've used MFP to record my calorie intake accurately, and to remind me to drink more water.

I'd like to get my weight below 10st/140 lbs (63.5kg). I haven't set a target for doing that, but I'm working on the basis that, if I keep my calories below what's needed to maintain that weight, I'll get there eventually, especially if I can step the exercise up gradually as I lose weight.

I was 13st 2lbs this morning, so I've lost 15lbs in six weeks. That will obviously slow down, but it's an encouraging start.

Any other over 60s out there?

Replies

• JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I turn 62 in December. Want to lose 100#. Been back on plan 2 weeks and staying on track with calories and activity, I am a walker. Seems like every other day something new starts hurting but so far I have been able to keep going. I have a fit bit and trying to hit 10,000 steps a day. I weigh once a week, Friday mornings. No alcohol.
  • kateheusser
    kateheusser Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ha! A fellow 60-something. it sounds as though you're very disciplined. Yes, I've got myself a fitbit too. I have a few health problems that mean I can't always exercise, so I'm trying to increase my average steps, as well as hit over 10,000 on a good day. I'm going to have to be creative today, because the Bomb Squad have cordoned off the area I was planning to walk so they can defuse a 1000lb WWII bomb!

Good luck with your weigh-in tomorrow.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Make a doctors appointment and get a second opinion on that sciatica. If the doctor offers pain pills, tell him/her you want to explore other options (some people like the easy way out).
  • Do3w7
    Do3w7 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Also a 60 plus.I have started back and trying to track everything and use my fitbit. Plan on making friday my weigh in day. I am at a desk for eight hrs and am struggling to increase my walking/steps.

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm 66, have lost 25 pounds so far through eating at a 500 cal./day deficit. I have a goodly amount of back pain due to scoliosis and lack of exercise. I'm concentrating on calories first since I find it hard to make two major lifestyle changes at a time. But just so you know if you are just starting out, yes, you can lose weight without exercise -- not that I'm recommending it, mind you, but it can be done so start doing whatever you can do.
  • kateheusser
    kateheusser Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lovely to meet you all. It just proves us 60-somethings haven't given up yet, have we? Good luck, everybody. x
  • cyndi1953
    cyndi1953 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't give up because at 60+ with osteoarthritis from my head to my toes and rheumatoid arthritis (on and off prednisone), I am in the best shape I have been in since my 30's. Once or twice a year, I have a bout of sciatica from spinal stenosis and joint degeneration. I used to take muscle relaxants (made me sleepy but didn't do squat for the pain) but now I use a heating pad and walk, walk, walk. Walking really helps relieve the pain. If I got up some morning and nothing hurt, I would be certain I died during the night :-)

Two and a half years ago I started limiting my calories and eating healthier, gradual changes. Then I started using MFP and tracking everything I eat. Next a work buddy and I started walking every morning; rain, sleet, hail, snow, sunshine. We were up to 4 miles a day in less than a month's time. There have been some bumps along the way but we have been pretty consistent with the exercise. I have lost 50 pounds (have plenty more to go) and with one big bump (my dad died and I gained back 20 and have lost 15 of the 20 since February), I have been successful on continuing to improve my strength, balance, and mental attitude. My health has improved exponentially along the way...no more pre-diabetes or hypertension.

My new goal, instead of an end number on the scale, is to live my life below 200 pounds and every pound after that is a gift. I have been doing that for the last two years. You can meet your goals, too. It is never too late to change habits that are detrimental to your health.

Here's to living healthy in our 60's!
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I will be 60 in December and am also a caregiver for my husband. Realized that I have to look after my own health to be able to look after his! Joined MFP in January of this year and have lost just over 40 lbs but have also hugely improved my physical fitness.

There is a thread on this site that I find incredibly inspirational - women 55-65: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10047153/55-65-year-old-womens-success/p1
  • Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Age and is only a number. I'm 50 and I manage to hit the gym everyday , I eat according to what I need and I just won't give up. I encourage you to keep going forward. A little bit is better than none
  • balota52116
    balota52116 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Just started in MyFitnessPal. I'm 63 and need to lose 30 lb (and stay there!)
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!! I am a 62 year old 5'4" female who began MFP in April 2016. My starting weight was 182 lbs. I am now down to 140 lbs - with about 5 lbs to go 'til I reach my target.

I run 5 miles/day 5x week on the treadmill. I do yoga 1x week to keep me limber and toned, and I take boxing lessons 2x week which works on my reflexes, strength, balance, timing, co-ordination, speed and stamina. I LOVE the boxing. Best thing I ever did for myself....

Anyway - 60+ these days means nothing. I truly believe that it is possible to feel better at 60 than at 20. I drink and party less now (LOL), and actually have the TIME now to devote to things that are fun and active and help to keep me fit. 60 is the new 18. ;)
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    In Motivation and Support, there's a gang of us that chat on monthly 50+ thread. You would be welcome there and some of us are 60+ or 60++!
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I too am 60 and live in the UK (sounds like you are as you are using stones pounds
    feel free to add me as a friend
    and anyone else - I have a few health problems which arent making this journey easy

look forward to collecting a few friends to make my journey more fun and helping to support others as I feel that helps me stay focussed too :)
    Hx
  • snoopy98632
    snoopy98632 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This looks like an old thread so I am hoping some of you at least are still on here. I am turning 65 Friday and have 50 lbs to get back off after problems with hips and hip surgeries.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I’m 66 and here everyday for mutual support!
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and needed to lose weight for health reasons. It took just over 8 months to lose 78 pounds and I have been maintaining at just under my goal weight for about 4 months. The only exercise I do is walking and a little low impact aerobics. I have worked up from a very slow 3km 2-3 times a week to a fairly brisk 10km 3-4 times a week. Age really is just a number but does make weight loss a little slower as we tend to have a slower metabolism. I try to walk early in the day to give my metabolism an early kick start. Good luck with your journey to a healthier you.
  • AZTeri2016
    AZTeri2016 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and returning to MFP after stalling out on Weight Watchers. I lost 50 pounds and gained back 20 when I was going through a very stressful time. I am determined to get that off, along with another 30 that I need to lose. I have heart disease that is usually under control, but I've been having angina again lately so I'm having a stress test tomorrow afternoon. I work out regularly, weekly with a trainer and cardio 4 days a week, with long bike rides on Saturdays when time and weather permit. I hope by changing things up and eating better, counting calories and macros, I'll start the process of weight loss again.
  • dianahajen1
    dianahajen1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and just joined a month ago. I love MFP.