How can I be more active during the day with a desk job?!

Options
Hey all,

I'm just seeking some tips and suggestions for getting in more activity during the work day. I tend to sit at my desk constantly and have a hard time prying myself away from work. It seems the deadlines are always "NOW!"

Any tips on how to set some work boundaries so I can add more activity in my day? It's gotten to the point where my ankles are a little swollen/tight from not getting enough movement in throughout the day.

Has anyone had successes with losing weight with a demanding desk job?

Replies

• pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    While my job isn't as demanding as yours sounds I make it a point to get up and walk around every hour or so. I take the long way around to go anywhere.
  • nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivo smart Hr watch.It tell me when i have not moved for an hour to get up.It really help me a lot.Otherwise i will also just sit at my desk.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,852 Member
    Options
    Walk, run or cycle as all or part of your commute.

Get up and climb several flights of stairs a couple times a day.

Go out at lunch to walk or run.
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow that sounds pretty terrible if your ankles are swelling up?!

My advice is that you need to consider your priorities in life and put your health and wellbeing before some companies profits.

I assume you are legally entitled to a lunch break, so use it!

I have an office job 9-5 and my job involves just sitting all day. I walk to and from the train station in the morning and evening and I split my lunch hour into 2 half hour breaks and walk for both of those.
    That gets me circa 14k steps per day.

I worked on slowly building this up over a few months.

So now I am able to set mfp to ‘active’ even though I have a completely sedentary job. Yay more calories to eat!!
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    I have a very busy desk job too and one of the little tricks I do to get in more steps is to drink a lot of water and then every time I get up to go to the bathroom I either walk around or walk in place to get 200 steps. It only takes a couple of minutes to do but over the day can really add up. You can also set a timer on your phone that reminds you to get up and move. :)
  • coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to tackle this problem recently too. Here's what I've done so far:
    - I bought a standing desk converter so I can stand while I work for at least part of the day. I've only had it for one day but so far I like it and I think it'll work out. I don't just stand, it also makes me pace around when I'm thinking about a problem.
    - I got a membership at the gym on the base floor of my office building and I'm going to do some cardio during lunch. Today will be the first time I try it out so no impressions yet but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work out. If that's not an option for you, you can still do brisk walks.
    - I take a 20 minute walk before I leave for work. It's better than coffee in terms of waking you up and it's easy to squeeze in.

There's some good ideas in this thread, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
  • tracengel
    tracengel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I work from home most days and it's worse than the office, I can sit 16 hours in my chair some days. A silly thing I do is "kitchen walking". When walking outside is too much effort, would take me away from my work for too long, it's too cold etc - i pace my kitchen. It's fairly long, so I just walk up and down while reading emails, watching something on my phone etc. My fitbit tracks my steps and the numbers appeal to me: I like round numbers, so if I hit a round number on steps, and the distance isn't a round number, I'll push a bit longer to get it there. Of course, by that time, some other metric is off, so I'll go again. A little silly, but I find it helpful. Sometimes up to an hour a night. I don't get bored (others might, I guess). It's not very much exercise, and not enough for people serious about it, but for just getting a little more active, I've found it a good place to start.
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Super demanding desk job (about 60 hours per week)... Before and after work is the time I get my exercise in.

For weight-loss, it's all about calories and logging. You don't need to exercise to lose weight, but the calories burned can help to create more food intake (assuming logging is accurate).
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I too have a desk job, though not as demanding as yours. I get 2-15 minute breaks and an hour for lunch. So just at work I walk 30 to 45 minutes a day and sometimes I add a run in at home. I also drink a lot of water and that helps me get up and walk away from my desk throughout the day as well. The work will always be there. Don't stress it. Your health comes first.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I understand at times work can be very demanding but if it's to a point where it's the norm for you to not have time in your day just to take a quick walk around the office several times a day, or go for a walk at lunch time etc. then I think some changes need to be made. Tell your boss if you think their expectations of you are unreasonable or not. I realize that's not always easy. At my last job it was pretty much expected to work your *kitten* off, always, and deadlines were always now, and then lets add some more deadlines on top of those while we're at it. There's a good reason I left that job. Life is too short.

That being said even with downtime at my new job I'm still sitting the majority of the day. I exercise in the mornings, and then most evenings I will go for a bike ride or something with my toddler.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My job requires that I work 17 hours shifts at a desk sometimes for weeks at a time. I have the same problem with swelling. One of the things I do to combat the sedentary work is volunteering to go pick up lunch for meetings. It's an excuse to get up and move. An under desk bike is a good way to keep moving even when you're seated. You can get really simple ones for $25 on Amazon. There are fancier, more complex ones too. Do you have the option of a sit/stand work station? I have a sit/stand station and try to stand for an hour at a minimum per day. I have a FitBit with alarms three times a day to remind me to get up and take a walk around the building. On days that are less busy, I walk on the treadmill in our wellness room for 1/2 hour at lunch. Walking meetings are not possible for me because my office is small with no room for multiple people to walk together and it's on a major highway so there are no safe places to walk outdoors.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Not specifically about at work, but this thread might give you some ideas:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i'm inactive at work. i am active before and after work and on the weekends.
    you can always park farther away-not just at work but if you are going to the theater or shopping or whatever. walk on breaks and lunch. take stairs where it is an option.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have an office or ever get stuck on long calls, but when I do, I close my door and put the phone on speaker. I then do mobility work or yoga during the call. Most of the time I can stay on mute.
  • davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I bought a sit/stand desk converter. I also try to walk around more often and take the stairs.
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you can and it's safe, park as far as possible from your building (mine has a huge and safe parking lot, so that makes it easier). Take the stairs - even if you don't have to - basically take the long way to the restroom, to your desk, to your car, to lunch, to anything you can (if time allows, of course). So even if you just go to the restroom, take the long way and go up/down a couple flights of stairs if you can. It helps if you plan, of course, like getting to work early enough and stuff like that. You can always add ankle/wrist weights if you want extra resistance.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Busy-ness aside, you need to make your health a priority--if your ankles are swelling that's not really a good thing! Drink plenty of water during your work day. The bonus is that you will probably have to use the restroom frequently, which means you can get up and move. Use the restroom that is on the next floor up or next floor down and take the stairs.