Thoughts on Group Fitness Classes at the Gym?

Options
Is it possible to lose weight by engaging in group fitness classes offered at the gym? Also, any suggestions on things I could do on my own inside/outside of the gym? I cannot do anything too high impact as I have an old knee injury which I would like to avoid aggravating.

My goal is to lose 50 pounds by June 2019.

Thanks!

Replies

• rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Group fitness classes are great. They can be very motivating. Water aerobics is especially good for not aggravating your knee injury. Good luck!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    In response to your thread title - meh! Where's the power rack and deadlift platform? I do strongwoman group training and that is about all I do in groups. Unless it is yoga of course!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Group fitness classes are a big benefit of joining most gyms. Personally, I prefer working in a group and with an instructor vs. working alone on a treadmill or something similar. It helps keep my focused and motivated to keep pushing myself. The gym i currently train at only has group instruction. I can't work out there individually.

I'd ask at your gym which of the classes would be good for low impact as to not aggravate your knee injury. You can also speak to the teacher about potential modifications you can make to the workouts to put less pressure on your knee.

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I like to do cardio in group activities.....mostly because I don't really like cardio and doing it as part of a group keeps me going. If I went for a run on my own I might quit at 1 or 2 miles but always get to 5k with my running group. I do a body combat class which is good fun and really works up a sweat!

Stick to a calorie deficit for weight loss and then the exercise will burn off some extra calories (or maybe allow a treat or 2!) and will help with good overall fitness :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,953 Member
    Options
    I like the spinning classes because they help me keep in shape for the next season of cycling outside ... plus they're a bit of variety from riding my trainer at home.

They can contribute toward the CO side of the CI < CO equation.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I've never taken group classes, but yes you can lose weight doing those. You can lose weight doing any or no exercise at all, depending on how you eat. I would say swimming would be a good choice for low impact. Also elliptical, bike riding..
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to lose weight by engaging in group fitness classes offered at the gym? Also, any suggestions on things I could do on my own inside/outside of the gym? I cannot do anything too high impact as I have an old knee injury which I would like to avoid aggravating.

Thanks!

Weight loss comes from your calorie deficit, so look at your food intake for that.

exercise is great, so do whatever you enjoy and will do consistently, for good health.

Agreed.

Group fitness classes can play a role in getting cals in vs cals out more in your favor... but most people find focusing on diet to be far more effective.

So to your question... yes they can help with weight loss, but they certainly won't guarantee it.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Group fitness classes are great for motivation and support. Exercise isn’t technically necessary to lose weight - diet is what is going to make the numbers on the scale go down. But exercise is an important part of living a healthy lifestyle so really you should do whatever you enjoy.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy classes, absolutely go for it. If you enjoy something else, do that.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, many exercises can be modified to accommodate various needs. But you need to be comfortable with the “idea” of modifying even if you’re the only one who needs to.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    when I started at the gym I did group classes because it was more motivating for me - there was a time, the same familiar faces, you get to kinda know people, you go in, do, go out without having to think about "oh - what should I do now?".

How about trying a few different ones? Let the instructor know about your knee before you start and most of them should adapt any moves that you shouldn't be doing.

As for losing weight - if only it was only through exercise LOL! Make sure you are eating within your calorie goal and add the exercise to help you along and for fun/fitness.

Enjoy!
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Thanks!

Weight loss comes from your calorie deficit, so look at your food intake for that.

exercise is great, so do whatever you enjoy and will do consistently, for good health.

I should have made it clear that it would be group fitness classes AND watching my caloric intake. My current daily goal based on this app's recommendation is 1,580 calories per day. However, I wanted to burn some additional calories to help lose weight.

Of the people I know that have succeeded at losing 50+ pounds, they all incorporated exercise in addition to dieting. However, they mostly used personal trainers in the beginning (and I would like to try exercising without this additional cost). Which is why I was looking into doing group fitness classes 3 times a week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I should have made it clear that it would be group fitness classes AND watching my caloric intake. My current daily goal based on this app's recommendation is 1,580 calories per day. However, I wanted to burn some additional calories to help lose weight.

Of the people I know that have succeeded at losing 50+ pounds, they all incorporated exercise in addition to dieting. However, they mostly used personal trainers in the beginning (and I would like to try exercising without this additional cost). Which is why I was looking into doing group fitness classes 3 times a week.

if you're using MFP figures you should eat back exercise calories, you don't need to burn additional calories as you have a deficit already. creating extra deficit could be unhealthy.
  • lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I primarily do group classes- 5:30 am M-F. The place I go is a mix of yoga 2 days, bootcamp/HIIT 2 days and strength 1 day.

I love them - there is a core group of us at that time, I like the variety and have made great friends. I am not great working out on my own so the classes keep me motivated and my butt moving.

Between the classes and finally eating at a deficit I have lost 40lbs since April. I typically do not eat back the exercise calories but sometimes will.

I say check out a few and see what you like.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I love group fitness classes. They are fun and a good motivator if they fit your personality.
    As far as helping you lose weight, they will help if they help you achieve a calorie deficit. Exercise has health benefits, but what matters for weight loss is calorie deficit.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Hi @Ladystrick11 !

I agree that group classes are a perk of most gyms. I like the energy when working out as a group. I also work out 🏋🏼‍♀️ on my own or with a trainer - but spin classes set to music have been my biggest calorie burner because to me it’s fun and the time goes by pretty quickly. It’s like dance on a bike.
    My 2 cents. :)

Hope you find something energizing and engaging to reach your goal! Great step in making gym time a habit! Bouna fortuna!
  • hollyday11
    hollyday11 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do spinning and yoga and love them both. I have knee issues and I have never had a problem with spinning.

I find spinning great for general cardio and leg strength. And sneaky way to condition your core.

Yoga (specifically yin yoga) just helps my body function better and I helping with some back issues I have had.

I think these two combined with a calorie deficit work well as I am losing weight. 18 pounds down over the last couple of months.
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love group fitness classes. I've made friends with the "regulars" in the class and it has become a great social motivator for me. I'm lost when I'm in the gym and have to figure out what to do. I like not thinking about what I have to do next and a great instructor can be so much fun. I think it all has to do with what your personality type is. Some people love it. Others want to be in more control.