Information overload

Options
Seriously at my age and in the dawn of the internet there is so much one takes in
Do this don’t do that ect. And this Is how I feel know with dieting
I don’t know where to begin or how to start a heathly diet or life style cause there I so much
On the market-internet where does one begin, seriously, I am clueless.
I run two small business and then I got 2 kids under 2 Yip hair raising some days, I am a
Stress and boredom eater. I work Monday too Friday normal hours 8-5
And weekend I either got a list of things to do at the house and goods to get in town for home
And don’t get me on my PHD aka project half done hahaha there are so many of those around
The house
My energy level is at a low it has every being and I am 48 kg over weight that making me suffer
From anxiety and depression cause I want to go no were and see no one
And my mood and irration level is at a all time high how does one get out this whole
I am in and were does
I have started and the longest lately success recorded is 2-3 weeks

i just feel like a big clueless person

Replies

• kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It gets better.

One thing that sticks out in my mind is from a podcast I listened to when I got started last year. The message was to not get caught up in the overabundance of information. Pick a method (might I suggest just tracking your food on MFP). Start with little changes. Collect data on how it affects your body. Add more little changes. Keep collecting data. Overtime you'll see that little changes add up to big changes. You'll find what works or what doesn't and you can make tweaks.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Start by counting calories and working on portion control. You don’t need to make 100 changes overnight or have the knowledge level of a registered dietitian to lose weight.

Weight loss is a slow journey, there is lots of time to learn as you go.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Seconded! It's a bit of a long read, but it has everything!
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The most simple concept:

Your body burns calories to preserve homeostasis. You consume calories.

If you consume less calories than you burn, your body will burn reserves and you will lose weight.

Dun dun dun ... that's it. Smaller portions of exactly the same foods ... and don't even bother with excersize. You WILL lose weight.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    First start by not over thinking it... Healthy & Fit starts in steps, you can't master everything all at once. Make small changes over time and before you know it, you will have reached your goals. Commit to changes and master them then move on to the next. When I first started, I committed to logging what I ate, didn't make many changes to what I was eating at the time but just wanted to get myself in the habit of logging. Well the changes to food intake changed as I was seeing exactly how much I was consuming on a daily basis. Then once i mastered logging I cut out all processed foods, once I did that I committed to meal prep on Sundays with portion controlled meals. Then I added a simple lunch walk in every day at work. Then I added a zumba class once a week, then twice a week. I started drinking a minimum of 128oz of water daily, then I gave up diet coke. These changes were small and over a course of time which didn't feel overwhelming. We tend to think, well me personally, its all or nothing. If I tried to do all of these things right out the gate, I would have failed within a week because it would have been just too damn overwhelming. Life happens, its not perfect all we can do is take one day at a time. Make a list of all the things you want to do, prioritize that list and start doing them one at a time over a period of two weeks three weeks, whatever works for you. You got this!!!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I feel ya. I still feel really overwhelmed when it comes to this stuff. It's helpful to try to focus on what's possible with your limited time & energy, rather than what someone online said was best.

The emotional & boredom eating is a big deal, if you can replace that/change that, you're on a great start. I'm a binger/emotional & boredom eater too. The first thing I did was stop buying junk foods & eat only food from home. I didn't even calorie count at that point.

I used to go by convenience stores on my way home and hide the food in my bag & room, and go out for lunch or dinner. I sat down and looked at the money I was wasting and made it a goal to not spend anything on food out for a month. No junk, no meals out, no coffees. I didn't really succeed 100%, but I saved money and it really helped re-wire my habits. Now teas/coffees are okay, but I walk into a Starbucks or a Tims and I think only of a latte, a plain coffee or tea, no food (mostly).

After that, I would just look at calories, and how you can make your usual food more satiating for lower calories. Try not to get overwhelmed with all the diets and eating patterns and everything. It's a lot. And that's not even touching on exercise.

One thing that I've found useful is looking at eating as a habit, so videos like this are useful (and fun!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxjKup00oF8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJlBq1ldcCc&list=PLvq9Tp5JZ8oAV-GAZmvEoYj9ntBaabKMj&index=18
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Burn more calories than you eat. You're guaranteed to lose weight.