What supplements and or vitamins and why.

Options
2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Multi and creatine. My diet provides the rest. Lol
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I probably pee more out more money than most, but I take a methyl B complex, an Omega 3 plus an Astaxanthin (proven to work synergistically with Omega3s, same thing Krill Oil has naturally but taking it separately is a higher dose), CoQ 10, a Super Antioxidant Blend (yeah, I know :D ) and Curcumin as well as Tart Cherry Extract for inflammation. I also take Boswellia w/ MSM as that's been shown to be better than Glucosamine or Chondroitin for joint health. Oh, and a K-2 (MK-7 form).

I'm mostly vegan, so that's why I take the methyl Bs (I only eat meat once or twice a week, B-12 is hard to get without eating meat). I also sometimes add in Zinc (but not every day) for that reason. I might add in Vitamin D (but not usually) or Calcium (again not often) during the Winter or depending on what I've eaten with Calcium (I only do very little dairy and mostly goat/sheep, so it depends on how many leafy greens I've eaten recently).

In my defense, cause I know half this might not do a thing, a lot of it is joint related (the Omega, Astaxanthin, MSM, Boswellia, Curcumin, Tart Cherry). I was told in 2006 I needed a knee replacement on my right knee but I was too young at the time. I was also obese then. I have the same knee now and I train hard 6/7 hours a week, mostly with little or no pain. I don't pop any NSAIDS unless I have a headache, so very seldom. I'll also say I had RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) pretty severe for over 10 years (it runs in my family, my Dad had it his entire adult life). Since taking the Astaxanthin, as long as I watch my caffeine consumption in the afternoon, that has disappeared completely.

I'm mostly a pacifist. I only instigate random bar fights once or twice a week.

If you feel the need to put a label on your WOE, you need to find a different label. Flexitarian seems to be the popular way of signalling that you believe you consume less animal-based food than other people.
  • mfp4kc
    mfp4kc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    All supplements should be tailored to you depending on your needs. Always speak with your own healthcare professional or a Registered Dietitian who can help you decide which supplements will be safe and effective for you.
    CoQ10 is one that is better absorbed in a water and fat-soluble form, and can be helpful for those who eat a vegan diet, are working to support heart health, or fertility to name a few examples.
    Turmeric (or curcumin) is another one where absorption matters. A form that is hydro-soluble absorbs better.
    A few previous posters mentioned other supplements that have better absorption as well like the methylated B vitamins. Quality and absorption is something to keep in mind when choosing a supplement regimen.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Supplements tend to be individual. I don't think what I take is of any use to anyone, but it's the following:

Zeaxanthin + Lutein (eye health based on my eye doctors instruction)
    b12 (i'm vegan, and I find supplementing more convenient than making sure I eat sufficient fortified foods)
    vitamin d3 (usually just in colder months)
    epa dha supplement