What have you learned?

Options
I posted this on my Facebook and got some really awesome responses and thought I'd try it out here:

‎"No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals." - Brian Tracy

Tell me the most valuable life lesson you've learned so far.
Fitness/Diet related AND otherwise.

My biggest lesson... Don't let fear of failure/imperfection keep you from doing anything. If you try, there's a greater chance that you'll succeed than if you don't try. As for perfection, it isn't about being THE best, it's about becoming YOUR best.

Replies

• bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have learnt that despite what I have been told, I cannot be perfect all of the time and to accept that I will have off days.
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to be you!!! Lesson learned later than I wanted but I've learned!! Like me or hate me I am me!!!!

::::DOES A LIL DANCE:::: :blushing:

:tongue:
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    That trying to control my circumstances, and making demands of my environment is futile and stressful.

I can control myself, and the way I react. I choose to react calmly.

This took me years to figure out, and many people in my life get credit for teaching me.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have learned that my "eating disorder" was due in part to my ignorance about food and calories.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Don't cry over situations you can't change! Brush it off and keep moving.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've learned that my body is a reflection of my inner-self. The weight I have carried was a reflection of the unhappiness and lack of love that I have had for myself. Only when I began to address and shed the unhappiness from within did it begin to reflect on the outside and on the scale.

I also learned to not take off those workout shoes until the daily calorie burn goal had been reached! If I remove those shoes, it is an uphill battle internally to convince myself to put them back on. LOL

And finally, I'm discovering how forgiving and strong my body is, and with each day I empower myself to achievements I never thought were possible for me.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I think Coelho said it beautifully, "Never save the best for later. You don't know what tomorrow holds."

Losing my fiance woke me up and made me quickly realize that all you have is today. In that I try to give everyone all that I am and appreciate every moment. Sometimes this is quite simply having ice cream before dinner. :)
  • mrdalton
    mrdalton Posts: 97
    Options
    This (weight loss) is not a competition. Very hard for a naturally competitive person to learn. My fiance has lost so much weight and is as skinny as a rail now - and looking very sexy might I add. While I am still as heafty as ever. It is hard not to be jealous. Really hard. I have to keep reminding myself this is not a competition between us - it is a journey to health and I am glad I have him to do it with me. I will get there too - slower but I believe I can do it on my own terms. I have to remind myself how blessed I am to have someone supportive in my life.
  • ChristalJo
    Options
    I have learned that sometimes you have to do what you think is the impossible if it is what's best for someone else. In my case, it was having to leave Denver and let my kids stay with my ex-husband while I tried to get healthy...

Also, that anything worth having/doing is worth fighting for... MY KIDS and my family and my God being at the top of that list. :)
  • CherrySunday
    Options
    Oooh good question!!

My biggest lesson so far, is that each body is different, and that no matter how much the media drills into us (women especially, but more and more now --men too) that we should all look a certain cookie cutter way, is just plain crazy! The sad thing is that we're bombarded daily with it through t.v., films, and magazines. There's a huge business and lots of money to be made from repeatedly telling people that they are NOT good enough. No matter how thin I get, I'll never be one of those waif supermodels-- cause my body is just NOT built like that. I've got hips, and I've got the booty; and that's just how it is! I've learned to embrace them both, and be grateful that my body is unique to me! -- and that's a beautiful thing!!