School and heathy eating

Options
I'm a 31 year old mom with 3 kids, a husband and a full time student. I thought I could do all that, work out and still have time to make healthy dinners. I realized, damn! It's quite a handful. I am running on empty! I never knew how much studying would take up my time. I'm exhausted. Any tips with a similar situation out there?? Please any advice is welcome.

Replies

• jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker meals save my sanity many times - that's dinner sorted plus leftovers for lunch.

Hard boiled eggs are a popular snack in our house too for kids and adults.

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Batch cooking is a lifesaver for me. I make up bolognese, chilli, cottage pie, corned beef hash, bbq pulled chicken, lasagne.....lots of things on a weekend when I have some free time and freeze them. Then when I am home from work (before going to gym and before studying) I can just throw them in the oven. I have no worries about using frozen veggies as I find I throw a lot away when I buy all fresh so I'll add veggies or salad for quick easy meals.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Meal planning helps a lot, and some people even prep all their weekly meals in big batches on the weekends. Prepping on the weekends may also make it easier to rope Hubby into helping as much as possible. Your kids are probably still pretty young, but are they old enough to do simpler things like putting together their own PB&J sandwiches?

Also, if you can afford it at all, go ahead and buy the pre-cut veggies and the pre-washed greens.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Oh, and another thought - for a while we subscribed to a meal box. So, each Sunday we received the ingredients and recipes for the week.
    It just took away the thinking and planning for the week. Everything was there, and the kids would even help cook them (somehow it was more appealing to follow a new recipe than to follow mum's instructions)