When is a good time to switch to .5 lbs per week?

Options
2»

Replies

• bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Gotcha, so it’s okay to stay on 1lb per week til I get to 145-155, unless I start getting too hungry or the allotted calories starts going under 1200.

I would say you are exactly right here. Congrats on your success!
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Consider whether or not you are TRULY sedentary. I thought I was - desk job, kind of a lazy bum who watches too much netflix in the evenings - but the math I did on my own numbers (extrapolating 4 months worth of daily calorie logging and weight loss) said otherwise. I'm actually lightly active.

What rate are you losing at? If you're doing intentional exercise, are you adding back calories for that?

To answer your original question, I officially switched to 0.5 per week at 15 pounds to my original goal (I've dropped it another 10 pounds now). But my rate of loss was already slowing down because I was finding it hard to stick to the higher deficit calorie goal.

My rate is usually a pound per week or more (I try to weigh myself every week, but if I have a lot of sodium one weekend, I will wait another week lol). I’m doing a little bit of intentional exercise (seven minutes of circuit training three mornings a week). I usually leave those calories or eat a small portion of them, because they’re only about 60-70 on those days.

I started wearing a step tracker and it tracks me around 7000-11000 steps on busy days and like 2000-3000 on less busy days. I’m not sure if that would count as sedentary, but I guess it feels safer to me to underestimate 😂 can I ask how you did the math on your activity level? Your “desk job, lazy bum” characterization sounds really similar to me, actually!

You're probably not sedentary, unless you have a lot more not busy days than busy ones.

I just took 16 weeks worth of calorie and weight loss tracking and did the math. I posted about it here :smile: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10702775/why-consistency-matters-more-than-accuracy-to-me/p1

99ljiogbeabz.png

Look, I did my own! Used an 8 week window but maybe soon I can use a longer sample size.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Wow, your stats are almost exactly the same as mine. I started at 233 (251 was my high but 233 when I left WW) I'm 5'5" and sedentary. My goal weight was 135. I never got to 135 but I'm old (62). I settled with a maintenance range of 143 - 150. I went to .5 when I had 20 to go. I was too hungry and had been dieting for a year. You'll know when you can't keep going where you are. Now I maintain at about 1400 calories/day. Don't let that scare you though... I'm much older than you are.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Consider whether or not you are TRULY sedentary. I thought I was - desk job, kind of a lazy bum who watches too much netflix in the evenings - but the math I did on my own numbers (extrapolating 4 months worth of daily calorie logging and weight loss) said otherwise. I'm actually lightly active.

What rate are you losing at? If you're doing intentional exercise, are you adding back calories for that?

To answer your original question, I officially switched to 0.5 per week at 15 pounds to my original goal (I've dropped it another 10 pounds now). But my rate of loss was already slowing down because I was finding it hard to stick to the higher deficit calorie goal.

My rate is usually a pound per week or more (I try to weigh myself every week, but if I have a lot of sodium one weekend, I will wait another week lol). I’m doing a little bit of intentional exercise (seven minutes of circuit training three mornings a week). I usually leave those calories or eat a small portion of them, because they’re only about 60-70 on those days.

I started wearing a step tracker and it tracks me around 7000-11000 steps on busy days and like 2000-3000 on less busy days. I’m not sure if that would count as sedentary, but I guess it feels safer to me to underestimate 😂 can I ask how you did the math on your activity level? Your “desk job, lazy bum” characterization sounds really similar to me, actually!

You're probably not sedentary, unless you have a lot more not busy days than busy ones.

I just took 16 weeks worth of calorie and weight loss tracking and did the math. I posted about it here :smile: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10702775/why-consistency-matters-more-than-accuracy-to-me/p1

99ljiogbeabz.png

Look, I did my own! Used an 8 week window but maybe soon I can use a longer sample size.

Hey, that's awesome!! :smiley: You are definitely not sedentary lol
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Wow, your stats are almost exactly the same as mine. I started at 233 (251 was my high but 233 when I left WW) I'm 5'5" and sedentary. My goal weight was 135. I never got to 135 but I'm old (62). I settled with a maintenance range of 143 - 150. I went to .5 when I had 20 to go. I was too hungry and had been dieting for a year. You'll know when you can't keep going where you are. Now I maintain at about 1400 calories/day. Don't let that scare you though... I'm much older than you are.

Awesome! I think when I have 20 to go, that’ll be a good spot!