Keeping Fit while Working Full Time

Options
So, I received (and accepted) a job offer today. Considering that I've been unemployed for almost 5 months and my husband is a full-time student, this is a good thing. The down side is that I know from experience that its so much harder to keep up a healthy routine working a desk job, especially one in my field that often requires many overtime hours - any creative advice?

Replies

• ironimagegroup
    ironimagegroup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cook all your meals the night before, and add emergency meals so when you have to stay late. Also, get a sixpackbag from sixpackbags.com.
  • Stephiede
    Stephiede Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Once you get into a routine at work, you'll have to find which time of day will work for you to work out. Going before or after work. Plus taking your lunch to work will help. Also try working out on your lunch break. Good Luck...
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and remember its the little things that count.

1. take the stairs?
    2. can you walk to work?
    3. Precook some meals on the weekends so you can get 30 minutes in at the gym before or after supper.
    4. go for a walk on your lunch break.
    5. if you snack at work make them healthy and filling
  • shan2bthin
    shan2bthin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Will you be able to walk during your lunch break? If the weather is bad outside, try walking the stairs in your office or go to a local mall. Also, try getting up a 1/2 hour earlier and incorporate an exercise routine while watching the news. Be sure to pack healthy snacks and meals--especially if you are working OT, otherwise you will be a vending machine addict. Best of luck!
  • BigReddHair
    Options
    When I worked in Vegas (and at my fittest), I would get up at 5am, hit the gym, shower, go to work, walk on my lunch, and do a spin class after work. People would tell me it was too much exercise, but when you sit at a desk for 8 hours, it's necessary. Make working out a top priority for you, and it will all fall into place. I got my husband involved too so that I wouldn't feel like such a selfish wife!! LOL (But what husband doesn't love a sexy wife?!)
  • Cortez123
    Cortez123 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Walk during your breaks. I also have a desk job and I walk during my breaks to assure I get some form of exercise in. I also bring my lunch and healthy snacks. You can do this...Good luck in your journey. God bless. :smile:
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    If getting stuck at work is a big problem, try to workout in the morning (if you can stand getting up a little early!). That way, it'll be done and you won't be tempted to skip it if you have to work late.
  • kerrylou150
    Options
    I pack my own meals and snacks. Almonds are a great desk staple. You never want to be faced with standing in front of the vending machine... trust me - nothing good will come of it.

I also walk on my lunch hour. Its a great way to get out of the office and away from your desk plus it helps getting in some work out time. I keep sock and gym shoes in my desk drawer. I look silly on the days I wear a dress or skirt but I don't care. I walk a nice paced 20 minute mile that way I don't get to sweaty and gross...
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    A new job is a big change, especially if you haven't been working for a few months. As you try to get into a new routine, I'd try to incorporate 30 minutes of exercise with that new routine. Get up that little bit earlier to go for a walk/do a video before you leave, or make it a priority most nights when you get home.

Be prepared that you'll be exhausted, especially if there's a fair bit of overtime. But don't let that get in the way of your goals. It may slow you down, but don't let it stop you!!
  • aliciaday
    Options
    I second the packing of meals -- I work full time in a store where I can't always guarantee when my lunch time will be, and definitely no snacks. So I pack my lunch the night before (I'm NOT a morning person...) and it saves me a few minutes in the morning, which for you could mean time to work out. I also log what I'm putting into my lunch box the night before to discourage myself from adding anything to it, and keep myself honest.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    those six pack bags look cool...but dang their expensive!! I suppose I'll have to stick to my walmart sack to carry my lunch...hahaha! If i had $ I'd get one!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I have a full-time job where I go in early (0700 at the latest usually) and may not leave until late (1800 or later at times). But, I wake up extra early each day to workout in the AM since I know, by the time I get home in the evening, I may not want to workout or have time between trying to get dinner ready, clean up and get some relax time with Hubby in.
    There is no excuse if I workout first thing, it took some getting used to, but I'm in a routine now: I wake up early, workout and within minutes of starting my workouts I'm awake & ready to get my day on!

Good luck: I know what I do may not work for everyone - many of my MFP's think I'm crazy for waking up at 0300/0330 just to workout, but it's worked out for me :wink:
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I work full time and its do-able

pre pack a lunch - plan meals ahead
    i find going to the gym/working out is best right after I finish work - then I can go home - shower and make dinner
    Find out when getting a workout in fits best into your schedule

just plan means is my best suggestion! and get proper sleep
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't want to be stuck without something good (and healthy!) to eat. Will you have a desk? Will you have access to a refrigerator? I keep protein bars, nuts, rice cakes, almond butter, and pita chips in my desk. Like whole packages of each thing so I don't have to think about it every day, I just know there will be something there. In the refrigerator at work I keep celery and carrots, vegetable juice, salad dressing, cheese and yogurt. I've scoped out a few healthy places to eat walking distance from my office and have checked out their nutritional info so I can walk in with my eyes wide open. :wink:

LIke everyone said, it would probably be a good idea to try to get a quick workout in before you go to work. That way you know you've at least done *something* and if you end up working late you won't feel like a slug. But if you get off at a reasonable hour, you could still exercise some more.

Good luck in your new job! Let us know how it goes!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i make sure i head to the gym before going home! also i make sure i pack plenty of healthy snacks (i keep some at work) and i also refill a water bottle several times a day.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I cook my lunch on the weekends, eat in the office and leave 30 mins early and hit the gym :-)
  • HealthyAlp
    Options
    I go to school and work so it's much like having a full time job.

What has worked for me is to plan my meals. I like to either take or buy snacks that are healthy. Love getting little packages of peanuts because they keep you filled up. Eat a good, healthy breakfast because that keeps you from getting hungry later on. Make sure you take a lunch so that you aren't starving when you come home.

Another great tip is to KEEP MOVING! This is especially helpful if you are getting an office job, or one that doesn't require a lot of physical activity. If you sit in front of a computer for an hour, get up and stretch or walk around tidying up your desk. Maybe use your lunch-time to pace around a bit while you eat. This helps the digestion.

Good luck with your new job!:smile:
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    there is nothing better than a post-workday, *kitten*-kicking workout to relieve stress :)
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new job.

I try to workout before work, but I'm not always successful. Its easy to skip it when your tired after work. I also recommend taking your own lunch and keeping healthy snacks in your office.
  • Manda3183
    Manda3183 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Thank you for the replies and great suggestions. A lot of this I already knew... packing lunches, knowing places nearby that have food that meets my needs, walking at lunch, taking the stairs (although in my new office their won't be any... which is actually kind of a bummer), parking further away for a longer walk t/from the car, etc.

I've never been a morning person, and have found that unfortunately trying to make myself get up earlier to fit in a workout typically makes me feel worse rather than better and that the morning workout isn't very effective. I know that this is one of my biggest problems, because evening workouts are best for me when working but if I unexpectedly end up working really late, then it doesn't happen.

Those 6-pack bags are a great idea, but I don't have that kind of money right now. Maybe after I've been back at work for awhile and meet one of my health/weight goals I'll look into it as a gift to myself.

If anyone has any additional suggestions, especially anything unusual or creative that you've found works really great, please share!