Is this good 5k progress?

Options
Hello!

This is my first MyFitnessPal post but I'm super proud at the mo so felt compelled. Went to the gym after work today and surpassed my 5k record. 29mins 58 seconds, broke the 30 min barrier! (Just!)

I started jogging/running about a month ago with my starting time being 34.25, (altho I did a park run in July and that took nearly 40mins). I've been cutting the time down steadily since then. At the mo I can't run continuously for the whole 5k but have been increasing speed to an average of 11kmh for the running bit, with 7kmh walking breaks in between. My question is, is this good progress? I'm a 29yo female, 5"9, 158lbs with an on-again-off-again relationship with exercise... Usually off if I'm honest.

Replies

• kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic progress in my opinion.

But that's MY opinion. How do you feel about it?

Something I've learned about running is that the only person you can really compete with is yourself, and there is no "normal". I've been running for months and I'm still a lot slower than you. but I'm happy with my progress because I can run.
  • wanderingaowie
    wanderingaowie Posts: 13 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    if people said no, then what would happen?

all progress is good progress. if your goal was to do a sub 30 5k, then you smashed it, well done?

If people say no then I'll burst my little bubble of pride, reassess what I'm doing and work out how to make changes to do better. Isn't that the whole point of getting some kind of feedback from people who are more knowledgeable about this kind of thing?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    All progress is good progress.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Also: consider slowing down a bit and going for the continuous 5km. That is a great accomplishment to have under your belt as well. Then, as @TavistockToad said - run further, slower.
  • wanderingaowie
    wanderingaowie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks guys! You're right, I need to chill it with the speed, I don't intend on ever competing in races etc. I'll start slowing down and work on doing the full 5k.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ahodgeface wrote: »
    I don't intend on ever competing in races etc.

LOL I think just about every runner said that until they crossed the finish line at their first 5K!

I can honestly say that there's little that compares to the feeling you get coming down the finish chute in a race (even if you're a middle of the pack runner like me).

not true... i only started running to do a 10k race... and then was going to stop after that... 4 years later i haven't stopped... :laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I can honestly say that there's little that compares to the feeling you get coming down the finish chute in a race (even if you're a middle of the pack runner like me).

100% agree with that :bigsmile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you have a 5k i am dreaming of 4 years of running.
    slow down, go further. you can try a bridge to 10k. or run double. like a c25k.

i love a race. it's fun. i did a run this weekend and got a nice sweatshirt, caramel apple, cider and the thrill of chasing down the finish line.
    but racing isn't for everyone
  • Ryry_78
    Ryry_78 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thats awesome progress !! i love 5k's perfect distance
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

LOL I think just about every runner said that until they crossed the finish line at their first 5K!

My thoughts at the end of my first 5K were along the lines of why the f*** did I do that to myself, that hurt. That's my I prefer the 50K, much less physically demanding.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    My question is, is this good progress?

Sound great to me!

Enjoy it while it lasts though as you will probably start seeing diminishing returns in the next few months...All part of the fun though.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    As you increase the distance you run, your time will continue to drop. This will actually continue for years, especially if you start doing specific race training. However, don't try to race every run. That will get you injured. Most of your running, especially as a new runner, should be slow and easy. Even when you do start doing real speedwork, 80% of your miles should be easy, and before and after every fast session there should be slow warmup and cool-down miles (which is why you don't want to do speedwork too early in your training.)
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    It's all subjective. There is always someone who can run faster or farther than you. There are also people who are slower and can only do shorter distances.

Run for personal growth and you will always be successful.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    As you increase the distance you run, your time will continue to drop. This will actually continue for years, especially if you start doing specific race training. However, don't try to race every run. That will get you injured. Most of your running, especially as a new runner, should be slow and easy. Even when you do start doing real speedwork, 80% of your miles should be easy, and before and after every fast session there should be slow warmup and cool-down miles (which is why you don't want to do speedwork too early in your training.)

This. Take it long and easy most of the time!

Cutting four minutes off your time in a month is great progress, and your time is pretty darned good for a female beginner runner in your age group. If you're walk/running this, you must walk fast! By the way, there's nothing wrong with walk/running, there are even books about it.

The only person you have to beat is yourself. However, if you're like me and can't help but be competitive this site will let you see how you stack up against other runners by age and gender:

http://www.pace-calculator.com/5k-pace-comparison.php

• TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Great job. I'll echo a lot of the comments here. Making your own goals should be the accomplishment. There's probably little chance unless you make it your whole life that you'll end up breaking a world record so what should count is what you have for your goals and they should be realistic. For example I've never done a 5k in under 30 minutes but I've completed 3 x 10ks. I'm a slow continuous runner so I prefer 10s over 5s. I know I'll never touch even our 10k winner at the local marathon run each year but I still set small goals and go from there. All that being said, running a sub 30 minute 5k is a pretty decent time, especially if you aren't running the whole thing yet.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

My thoughts at the end of my first 5K were along the lines of why the f*** did I do that to myself, that hurt. That's my I prefer the 50K, much less physically demanding.

I haven't run a 50K (and don't really see one in my future, I may change my mind after running a marathon) but I agree with you in that I'd much rather run a half-marathon than a 5K for the same reason. A well run 5K is hard!