Preparing to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail.

Options
So I have decided that I will be thru hiking the PCT next year starting in late March. The plan is to hike a minimum of about 15 miles per day while still giving myself plenty of time to stop and take lots of pictures each day. The problem is that I am nowhere near in shape enough to accomplish this goal. I am coming here hoping I can get some tips to help whip me into shape.

A little about me. I am 38 years old weighing in at 310lb and am 5'10" tall. I am a very busy person, working about 60 hours a week and commute to and from work by bicycle for a total of 15 miles per day. I am not the healthiest eater living on a diet of frozen meals and food at Seven Eleven. I am also a disaster in the kitchen.

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    That's an impressive goal!
    Do you have experience with backpacking trips already?

I guess if you cycle to work every day, you already have some endurance and fitness base to start. Maybe you can use the commute to get in some walking or running training as well? Sometimes I bike to work and run home, then run to work the next morning and bike home. If I take the shortest way possible it's only 3mi per direction for me, but if you are willing to get up early enough, it should also work for a 7.5mi commute.

This is a nice guide with training ideas: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/thru-hiking-goal-training.html , and I really like this article a lot : https://www.uphilldesigns.com/post/how-i-trained-for-the-pct-part-i
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how many miles hiking do you currently do per week?
  • Carneyje3
    Carneyje3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Since you have some experience biking I'd suggest considering biking the PCT instead. I did it a few years back and would suggest reading the book, Cycling the Pacific Coast (even if still intend to hike).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    That's so cool! Good luck on your goal!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If a person can train for a marathon in 6 months, I'm assuming this is doable as well... Are you following a training plan at all? I found this compliments of Google and it looks akin to the running/triathlon training plans I've used.

http://www.adventurealan.com/quick-and-efficient-training-for-backpacking/
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do you have any nice hilly terrain close to you that you get out to at least on weekends? When training for anything one of the key concepts is specificity (train for a road race by running...) in this case you want to walk, preferably on terrain that closely resemble what you may be facing and you want to be carrying a pack.

Not in shape for it yet is not a problem as long as you can get out walking/hiking consistently and for progressively increasing distances and increasing pack weight.

My only gear advice is something I learned in the Army.....wool socks and change them a couple of times a day. As to the other gear I'm so far behind the times that I can't offer anything useful.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous! That thru hike is on a short list for me.

I'd like to know if you having hiking/backpacking experience. Although I've hiked for more than 20 years, I still have a difficult time mountain hiking more than 8 miles per day due to being overweight.

I would recommend you start hiking right away if you aren't already and hike with a pack. Keep increasing your distance, elevation gain, and pack weight if possible.

And please come back on to update us of your training progress.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    If you can get a permit, try for one in late April rather than March. (Go to the PCTA website for information.) March starts get you to the Sierras while there is still a lot of snow. Since this is supposed to be an El Nino winter, the snow won't be gone until late June or July.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Practice by carrying a heavy pack on trails (make sure you use poles). I put blankets and dumbbells in mine on the weekends when I would hike. Be safe and smart as I hurt myself 6 weeks out and only last 10 days on the AT. I've since done several section hikes. Wishing you all the best.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How far do you typically hike now, carrying how much weight?
  • Racouol
    Racouol Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have some hiking experience and even attempted an AT thru hike back in 2009. The problem right now is I don't have a lot of time available to hike due to my job. The plan is to try to hit the gym after my bike ride home from work. The problem is I am not sure what exercises would be most beneficial for me to do to prepare myself.
  • Racouol
    Racouol Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That's an impressive goal!
    Do you have experience with backpacking trips already?

I guess if you cycle to work every day, you already have some endurance and fitness base to start. Maybe you can use the commute to get in some walking or running training as well? Sometimes I bike to work and run home, then run to work the next morning and bike home. If I take the shortest way possible it's only 3mi per direction for me, but if you are willing to get up early enough, it should also work for a 7.5mi commute.

This is a nice guide with training ideas: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/thru-hiking-goal-training.html , and I really like this article a lot : https://www.uphilldesigns.com/post/how-i-trained-for-the-pct-part-i

Those article have just what I need, thank you. Also while I have gotten good with riding my bike I am still rubbish when it comes to running (more of a waddle for me). Have a really hard time going over one mile. I could walk the whole way to work but I fear it would take too much time. I have increased how much I walk while at work.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Racouol wrote: »
    I have some hiking experience and even attempted an AT thru hike back in 2009. The problem right now is I don't have a lot of time available to hike due to my job. The plan is to try to hit the gym after my bike ride home from work. The problem is I am not sure what exercises would be most beneficial for me to do to prepare myself.

As much hiking as possible, i would imagine
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Racouol wrote: »

Read to the bottom of the article I posted above--he has suggestions for cross-training that don't involve hiking.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a treadmill, do that as much as possible if you can't walk outside. Use the incline feature, including the negative incline if it has one. ?Stairmaster will also help strengthen your legs. Do the TM with a heavy daypack to get your back and shoulder muscles used to walking with weight. You don't need to be a runner, just a good strong walker.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to give advice because I don't know what "hiking" is to you. I'd do exercises that replicate the type of walking/hiking/climbing you'll be doing. My guess is that a combination of treadmill and stair climber is a good place to start.