Stupid Shoe Question

Options
Ok please don’t laugh. Has anyone had this problem? Is it normal? I’ve lost a whole shoe size in a month. I desperately need new shoes but I’ve been to several places and tried on a bunch of brands. Nothing fits. The smaller size is right but the heel slides all over regardless of sock type. It’s driving me nuts and I’m tripping on the tips of my old shoes. Does this go away as weight rearranged itself all over my bod or is this the new normal?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I lost a shoe size as well. It's been sort of fun shopping for new ones but annoying as well. My feet are narrow at the heel, wider at the toe (as in, I don't have narrow feet per se, more triangle feet I guess :lol: ) They make little inserts you can stick into the back of your shoes that help for dress shoes. For athletic shoes, most people recommend going to a running store to be fitted (even if you don't quite run).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    That's probably the new normal. What size are you? I'm a 10.5 in Women's but frequently have to buy 11s b/c many brands stop carrying the half sizes at 9.5. Asics are making their running shoes smaller than they used to so try them. Just keep trying different brands.

These are helpful making up that half size difference in length:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Silicone-Gel-Heel-Cups-ViveSole/dp/B01IQ0G3E2/ref=sr_1_16_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1540848270&sr=8-16&keywords=heel+inserts&th=1

These wouldn't stay on:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Sof-Sole-Cushions-Improved-Comfort/dp/B003IJ7RHO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1540848270&sr=8-5&keywords=heel+inserts&dpID=51FkVCJw40L&preST=_SY395_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That may be your new normal. I was shocked as well when I went down almost two shoe sizes. I never thought my feet would shrink too. If you're not done losing weight, they may shrink more.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight in your feet. Yes manufacturers are always messing with sizes. You can use the runners lock holes to help keep your heel from slipping.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that my shoes have gotten loose.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I am another who has gone down 1/2 a shoe size with weight loss. It helped me as my feet used to be wider than normal which now makes fitting easier, but others don't have such luck. Regardless, I pretty much live in sneakers which have a broad range of fittings and will always accommodate orthotics.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I have triangle feet too. Been working with a chiropodist around orthotics & one of the things she recommended was going to a New Balance store (not a typical multi brand shoe store) to get properly fitted & try on a bunch of shoes. I also look for ones that lace tighter around the ankle because my heels slip around too. I got a pair of walking shoes with mesh at the toes (more give) in a 6.5 D width. I’ve always bought “regular” size 7s before. The style really matters - if I wanted non-mesh the salesperson was telling me I should try the E width.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Triangle feet. That is THE perfect description. I have worn Saucony for years but they are swimming on me now. I’ve got em laced up so tight they’ve puckered all over and I trip when I walk, and I walk a lot (12 miles today!). I’ve tried Saucony, Adidas, Brooks, Ryka (?), Sketchers and some other brands, but they are all so wide in the heel now it’s like wearing flip flops. No grip at all. Great idea about the New Balance store. There’s one next door to our Trader Joe’s and I need to make a run there anyway.
    Can I make a foot shrinking confession here? I love Crocs ballerina flats. Have worn them with leggings for years. Comfy and just wash them with soap and water and they look brand new. I heard a rumor they were discontinuing them, so being the planner I am, I ordered eight pairs. And two months later I’m stuck with seven pair that have ever been used, and one that barely worn. They must be a good inch or so too big now. Try explaining THAT to your husband. “Well, honey, it seemed like such a good idea at the time...”

PS: thanks for the tip on alternate lacing. Who knew?
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh. I wore a pair of shoes last week and I thought they were loose, but decided it was all in my head because it was a pair I haven't worn in a while.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    My $600 skates got loose, that was no fun. Extra socks and creative lacing!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I like slip on dress shoes. Always have for some reason. I don't wear them often, but was suit shopping the other day so had a pair on. My feet just slid around in my old shoes and I ended up buying a pair a 1/2 size down.

Maybe next time I'll realize I can now bend over to tie them up and buy ones with laces.

Running shoes are a 1/2 size bigger or I get funky nails. But that is normal.
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I wasn’t even classified as overweight when I started out, just high side of normal bmi. I have really noticed in the last few months that my feet look totally different.
    Never did I think at any point that I had or was going to loose fat from my feet :D
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Ok please don’t laugh. Has anyone had this problem? Is it normal? I’ve lost a whole shoe size in a month. I desperately need new shoes but I’ve been to several places and tried on a bunch of brands. Nothing fits. The smaller size is right but the heel slides all over regardless of sock type. It’s driving me nuts and I’m tripping on the tips of my old shoes. Does this go away as weight rearranged itself all over my bod or is this the new normal?

I lost a half size early on, but did not keep losing shoe size as I kept losing dress sizes.

There are sticky things you can put in the heels of shoes to keep them from slipping off. I use them in some shoes because I need a wide toe box but have narrow heels so some of my dress shoes need these. here is what they look like. You should be able to find some inexpensive ones in the Dr. Scholl's area of any drug store or places like Walmart or Target. 71XSakoEg5L._SX522_.jpg
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    one of the things she recommended was going to a New Balance store (not a typical multi brand shoe store) to get properly fitted & try on a bunch of shoes.

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I went by the New Balance store and was just blown away. I haven’t had shoes professionally fitted like that since I was a kid. The young man really knew his product well and was extremely helpful. That was a first class experience and worth every nickel, says me, the cheapskate. And he also suggested several different types of lacing which helped as well.

Awesome! Yeah it completely blew me away too. Glad you found something :smile:
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem- when I was at my heaviest (140, I’m 5’4”), my size 7.5 shoes were too tight! Now that I’m back down to 132, my shoes fit properly again!

Well, the good news is that you have lost fat evenly over your whole body! But yes, no one thinks of feet!

Glad it worked out for you at the New Balance store.