Foods you were OVERestimating calories for before you used a food scale?

Options
13»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    NJCJF wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    NJCJF wrote: »
    of all things...peanut butter-- was only eating 1.5 tbsp instead of 2.
    also cereal

I have to weigh peanut butter. What they call 1 tablespoon and what I call 1 tablespoon is not the same :lol:

LOL this was after weighing. I just types tbsp instead of grams cause I didn't have the jaw in front of me and I can't remember how many grams in a serving

32. 32 grams. :bigsmile:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    deli meat
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I was overestimating for ice cream and yogurt.

I was underestimating for dry foods like rice and beans. Also, I underestimated fruit serving sizes. I thought a large apple had about 80 calories. Based on weight, some of my apples have double that.

For the most part my measuring cup measurements were on par with my food scale. Now, I use a food scale because it is more accurate but the difference is negligible for most foods imo.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter. I had always assumed I ate 3-4 tablespoons on a sandwich, but turns out I'm right at the 2 tablespoon serving size.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    amy19355 wrote: »
    Canned beans typically say 3.5 servings per can, but after measuring I have found that it is almost always nearly exactly two servings. I can eat more beans but that also means I have to BUY more beans. Worth it.

However, 1 dry cup of flour is typically more than the weight in grams as it is listed on the package.

I have been cooking beans from dried for years , at first for economic reasons and then for taste and control of salt content.

It also gets around the problem with weighing canned beans drained when the labelled calories include the liquid in the weight. The drained beans can have almost double the calories by weight compared to the label. OTOH, weighing dried is fine if you make one serving at a time, but typically you will be making many more and often already mixed with other ingredients while cooking. One of the things I like about frozen peas, beans and corn is that you can weigh them accurately and make a serving at a time. that's important at my house as I am about the only one, other than one of my kids who is away at college, who eats beans (other than green beans) and peas somewhat regularly.

My black beans state drained.

Interesting. I just checked mine. Bush's - black beans and garbanzos - not drained. Hanover Cuban black beans - not drained. I do have some store brand artichoke hearts that say drained. The giveaway is if a standard size can says 3 or more 1/2 cup servings that are around 130g (~4.6 ounces), it's not drained as there is no missing weight when you do the math.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Pasta! My weighed out serving is less than I would eat before I tried to control portions but more than what I would try to guesstimate with a stupid measuring cup after I started counting calories.

I can easily down half a box of pasta. When I eat spaghetti, which is honestly 3-4 nights a week, it is pure torture to limit myself to 6oz (3 servings).

• UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Yeast. I’m not a huge fan of it, but I’ll occasionally put it on salad or steamed veggies. I learned a couple years ago that it is definitely not low calorie. I can easily eat 200+ calories of it a day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is Nutella. I used to count one serving in my crepes and only really put 1/2 serving. But I started using the food scale after just a few weeks, and it's been 5 years...
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I can't verify but I think I tend to overestimate proteins when I'm not eating at home to weigh before cooking. I was definitely underestimating peanut butter, even now if I'm having some with an apple or something if in my head I say I'll limit myself to ~45g thinking that will be enough, I'll end up at 57g or something.

I was also way overestimating exercise calories for a good spell with my highly researched, well-reviewed Polar H7 HRM; thanks, UA Record. Eventually switched to a TDEE spreadsheet and have had much more success.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Canned beans typically say 3.5 servings per can, but after measuring I have found that it is almost always nearly exactly two servings. I can eat more beans but that also means I have to BUY more beans. Worth it.

However, 1 dry cup of flour is typically more than the weight in grams as it is listed on the package.

You have to be careful about canned fruits and veggies. Even though you will eat the drained product, nutrition information is "as packaged" unless specified otherwise. If liquid you pour off is water or mostly water and has very little calorie content, what's left has more calories per unit of weight. With fruit it's probably closer to okay to ignore the syrup as it has as many or more calories by weight than the fruit.

😲🤯

Oh, fudge. Everything is a lie.