LISS and HIIT

Options
ashbee03
ashbee03 Posts: 270 Member
edited October 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey there,

So I've started up at my local gym again, and have been going for solid for all of October so far.
I was told to focus mainl on cardio, and a little on weights as I have a lot of weight to lose...100+ pounds, and to focus more on weights and muscle toning the more weight I lose.

But I was wondering if anybody has an opinion on LISS cardio, vs HIIT cardio and weight loss.
I haven't really had a routine, I usually go and somedays I do cardio for a half hour, other days an hour.
The days I do half hour I do high intensity..4 mins high,4 mins rest for about 30-35 mins (including cooldown)
On the days I do an hour I usually do the cross country setting which is just a bunch of random inclines/resistances.

After doing some research on th 2 different cardios I'm confused if I should be doing both in the same workout sessiion, or on different days....

I just want to get the most effective workouts so I don't get discouraged by my efforts as I'm really motivated and loving it this time around... I just want to do it right. (I've attempted the gym many times and failed after a week.)

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I will continue to do my research as well. :)

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Do what you like the best and will keep you interested and coming back for more.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I’d also flip that recommendation to be wieghts prioritized over cardio. This will help you retain muscle while you lose weight far more effectively then a cardio focus. End result body comp may be more desirable depending on your goals
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Just do what you enjoy. You can spend hours on the Internet reading about "the best workout everrrrrr", but if you don't enjoy that workout there is no point in doing it. Any form of movement that is sustainable and helps you towards your goals is effective movement :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ashbee03 wrote: »
    Hey there,

So I've started up at my local gym again, and have been going for solid for all of October so far.
    I was told to focus mainl on cardio, and a little on weights as I have a lot of weight to lose...100+ pounds, and to focus more on weights and muscle toning the more weight I lose.

But I was wondering if anybody has an opinion on LISS cardio, vs HIIT cardio and weight loss.
    I haven't really had a routine, I usually go and somedays I do cardio for a half hour, other days an hour.
    The days I do half hour I do high intensity..4 mins high,4 mins rest for about 30-35 mins (including cooldown)
    On the days I do an hour I usually do the cross country setting which is just a bunch of random inclines/resistances.

After doing some research on th 2 different cardios I'm confused if I should be doing both in the same workout sessiion, or on different days....

I just want to get the most effective workouts so I don't get discouraged by my efforts as I'm really motivated and loving it this time around... I just want to do it right.

So responding to your last point first, the most effective training depends on your objectives. Given that you assist to want to lose weight that points to a calorie deficit. Your training contributes to that, and to what the results will be at the end of that part of the journey. So there is no way to say what's effective until you think about that.

Looking at your specific question, I suspect that part of your confusion is limiting your thinking to only two modes of CV training. Different modes have different physiological effects, and a decent trainer would generally design something that covers the range. I would also disagree with the advice around limiting resistance training, as it has a lot of benefit.

Low intensity training is essentially going for a walk. It burns calories, and has a limited effect on your cardiovascular stamina. It provides a base of fitness that everything else builds on, so shouldn't be dismissed.

Medium intensity starts to drive greater cardiovascular benefit. It's difficult to say what medium intensity might look like for you, but for me that would be a 10k run in about 60 minutes. That's my training base and something that I'll do at about 150bpm heart rate and it improves the strength of the heart.

High intensity interval training, using the technical definition, would be very short pushes into the highest range of effort, for about 20 seconds at a time. So perhaps 50 metre sprints. The effect of something like that is an improvement in the efficiency of the lungs, so enriching the oxygen in the blood. As @NorthCascades highlights it's an effect that didn't last long, so I'd limit that to just before a goal race.

What you've described is more what I'd say is medium intensity interval training. The big benefit of doing that is that it allows you to recover, so you can do a longer duration of medium intensity effort. It helps to build stamina quite efficiently. That's what something like Couch to 5K is designed around a medium intensity interval training model. It can lead you to run for 30 minutes continuously through building your stamina over about 8-9 weeks.

I would suggest perhaps a bit of time thinking about what you want in the end, and then building a bit of structure to do that. As you think that through there are plenty of people here with the experience to help you build that structure.

To answer the direct question, I'd design a plan that has steady state, and intervals on different days. They're doing different things, so if you do both at the same session you're getting best effect from neither.

• ashbee03
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

I think as long as I’m moving my body is a good thing.

I am going to incorporate more weights into my workouts.
    I use a Fitbit and most of my workouts are pretty high intensity I guess... because I reach my peak heart rate and fat burn heart rate within a workout.
    Not sure if that is a good thing?

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

I think as long as I’m moving my body is a good thing.

I am going to incorporate more weights into my workouts.
    I use a Fitbit and most of my workouts are pretty high intensity I guess... because I reach my peak heart rate and fat burn heart rate within a workout.
    Not sure if that is a good thing?

It's an irrelevant thing. Don't worry about it.
    It has zero impact on your fat loss - that's down to a calorie deficit over an extended period of time.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Heart rate zones are meaningless outside training. During training, nobody really used a three zone simplified system like Fitbit, people tend to use 5 or 7 zones based around their lactate threshold, heart rate reserve, or functional threshold power.

If you're exercising to get in shape and lose weight, it's ok to use this stuff if it motivates you, but don't major in the minors. If you eat less than you burn including through rest, you'll lose weight.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I just want to get the most effective workouts so I don't get discouraged by my efforts as I'm really motivated and loving it this time around... I just want to do it right. (I've attempted the gym many times and failed after a week.)

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I will continue to do my research as well. :)

HIIT is very intense cardio. With 100+ pounds to lose, maybe check with your doc if you haven’t already to make sure it’s safe for you to do. Or maybe work up to it with less intense intervals first. Even with the baby intervals I began with years ago, I thought is was going to die. And I’m sure I looked it. Probably still do. :lol:
  • ashbee03
    Options

HIIT is very intense cardio. With 100+ pounds to lose, maybe check with your doc if you haven’t already to make sure it’s safe for you to do. Or maybe work up to it with less intense intervals first. Even with the baby intervals I began with years ago, I thought is was going to die. And I’m sure I looked it. Probably still do. :lol:

It’s been fine for me so far. I sweat a lot but I enjoy it. My heart rate goes to peak rate. But I have noticed on the same settings after. Week my heart rate doesn’t get as high as it did prior. So I guess I’m getting used to it.